PDA

View Full Version : 07 TRX450R (noob here!)

wingnut77
05-12-2009, 08:13 AM
First of all just like to do a shoot out to everyone. I'm new here, as if you didn't know that. I registered here to ask this one ?: I'm looking at a 07 TRX450R. The guy has it torn apart right now for a rebuild (he didn't blow the motor or anything, supposedly). He tells me that it needs to be rebuilt every 40 hours. I'm wanting to trade him my sled for his quad but I can't be rebuilding the motor every 40 hrs, that would be like once a month!:eek2: SO I am wondering, do these motors need to be rebuilt every 40 hrs?

scuzz
05-12-2009, 08:23 AM
Welcome to the forums!

Not unless you run them without ever changing the oil or cleaning the filter.

Is this guy on meth? (seriously meth people are caller "tweakers" because of them taking crap apart when they're high.

Don't ask him that though, you're likely to piss him off.

wingnut77
05-12-2009, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by scuzz
Welcome to the forums!

Not unless you run them without ever changing the oil or cleaning the filter.

Is this guy on meth? (seriously meth people are caller "tweakers" because of them taking crap apart when they're high.

Don't ask him that though, you're likely to piss him off.

Now that there is some funny sh*t! He told me that Honda recommends rebuilding the engine every 40hrs. I can see it if you are racing it every weekend. So basically as long as you change the oil frequently (how often should the oil be changed??) and keep the air filter clean, how long should the engine last?

scuzz
05-12-2009, 08:50 AM
I'm glad you read the humor into it. :D

I would change the oil after each ride in the crankcase and every other ride for the tranny.

I clean my air filter after EVERY ride - but I'm just anal. There are a host of 450r forums out there that may move a little faster and have more info out there so your quest for knowledge might take you elsewhere.

But again, a rebuild every 40 hours is ridiculous. People would be burning them for the insurance money if that were the case.

wingnut77
05-12-2009, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by scuzz
I'm glad you read the humor into it. :D

I would change the oil after each ride in the crankcase and every other ride for the tranny.

I clean my air filter after EVERY ride - but I'm just anal. There are a host of 450r forums out there that may move a little faster and have more info out there so your quest for knowledge might take you elsewhere.

But again, a rebuild every 40 hours is ridiculous. People would be burning them for the insurance money if that were the case.

I thought it sounded kind of funny to have to rebuild a four stroke every 40 hrs, unless racing of course. I'm new to quads (been riding sleds for years) but it seems a four stroke should last longer then a two stroke and I never had to rebuild any of my sleds and the one had over 6,000 miles on it!

hondariderdylan
05-12-2009, 12:52 PM
welcome,
scuzz has it right

you would never have to rebuild that often unless you had a full race motor

also, your buying a honda
they last FOREVER!:p

HBRIG014
05-12-2009, 03:08 PM
WELCOME..
I bought my 2007 new in sept. of 06
after every ride i changed the oil and filter and just this year was my first rebuild and i race every weekend pretty much.. and run the A class.

Jem450ER
05-19-2009, 05:51 AM
I have an 07 with a trail tech computer that keeps track of hours, along with speed miles rpm ect, and ihave well over 40 hours on it with no problems. The 450 doesn't hold a lot of oil(no oil tank or cooler) not even a quart of oil so you wanna keep it fresh. And i have two air filters for mine that way i always have a clean one to throw in it.

wingnut77
11-25-2009, 11:57 AM
Well, I ended up keeping the sled. Guy wanted like $1500 plus my sled. No way! Kind of glad in one way since snow is almost here!