PDA

View Full Version : new 400ex owner

muad
05-12-2009, 07:00 AM
Just wanted to say hello to the community. I just bought a used 2006 400ex with only 55 hours on it. Thing is practically brand new, with the original tires and all.

Only mod I know of is a two brothers m7 slip-on. Not sure if it's jetted for the exhaust or not.

I'm new to the "game", so I'm sure I'll have some questions. I just sold my 400+whp Evo 8, and wanted something to help replace the adrenaline rush :D

On to a couple questions I have:

1. Is the two brothers m7 pipe a good one? I love the sound so far.

2. The stock head pipe looks pretty nice, would an aftermarket one make a noticeable difference in power???

3. I was running 87 oct., however I'm going to use 94 oc.t now, is that best?

4. Is the K&N Power lid any good? I do mostly trail riding, and I do go through water at times (small creeks, etc.) So I want to make sure I don't suck up any water. Please recommend a good intake or filter.

Thanks for any comments. Here is crappy cell phone pic of my bike.

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa46/muad_dib1982/IMG00045.jpg

My plans are mild right now. i want a dependable quad to go riding all over in. Trails, track, parks, etc.

In the future, I do plan on building something up to be a little more wild. Turbo is in my thoughts :eek2:

Take care!

-Will

scuzz
05-12-2009, 08:04 AM
Nice quad! Welcome to the site!

1. Is the two brothers m7 pipe a good one? I love the sound so far.

Yes, I believe it's a very good one. I had one for my 700xx, and although it was loud I like it a lot.

2. The stock head pipe looks pretty nice, would an aftermarket one make a noticeable difference in power???

Slightly more power, but in my opinion not enough to really warrant getting one. Besides, you run the risk of a stud breaking off or something else wacky like that. That's just my opinion though, others here will differ on that.

3. I was running 87 oct., however I'm going to use 94 oc.t now, is that best?

You should always run the best fuel you can get. These combustion chambers run hot and you could run the risk of detonation with lower octane fuel.

4. Is the K&N Power lid any good? I do mostly trail riding, and I do go through water at times (small creeks, etc.) So I want to make sure I don't suck up any water. Please recommend a good intake or filter.

Filters draw a long line of division here. Some people like me think that you can't protect your engine any better than a foam (UNI) filter. Other people here swear by K&N where as others curse them.

Here's a thread I made I while back asking people what they run as well as why. I hope this helps:

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=377950

honda_runner
05-12-2009, 08:06 AM
Hey! Welcome!

400whp evo8 huh? sounds nasty fast. I have a 90whp Fit, so i can't run 11's like u probably did.

anyway, 400ex's love 92 octane, 94 is good too.

i would stick with the stock airfilter, its the easiest to clean, and most reliable.

enjoy your ride! and let us know when u start dumpin some money in.

check out my build, just search "The Winter Project"

07black400ex
05-12-2009, 08:22 AM
Two Brothers is made for Honda and if it was put on by the dealer it should have been jetted. However, if you bought it from an individual there is no way of knowing for sure I guess. The owners amnual say to run no less tha 92 octane.

bigd's ex
05-12-2009, 09:17 AM
Welcome to the A.A.D.S world. I run a 2 Brothers & love it. Like Scuzz said, it is alittle loud ,but a nice sounding kind of loud if you know what I mean. ha ha. You can get different tips for it to quiet it down if you want. They do make a difference & they do not take away any power. imo. Mine came with a 170 main jet so I'm quessing that is probably what's in yours if the other owner changed it. I suggest you open up that air box with that pipe. I ran it both ways, closed / open, & runs much better open. I made my own lid with an Outerwears cover. I've ran it in mud,water, snow, etc, & have had no problems what so ever. Sure beats $ 100 a power lid. I have $14 in my lid. I also bought an extra lid for $12 to put on while washing it. Here's a link to give you an idea of how to make one.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=330349

muad
05-12-2009, 09:28 AM
scuzz, thanks for the detailed reply!

I just dropped the bike off at my local dealer, where I bought it from. There is a recall on some reverse spring, and the part came in.

Anyway, the bike was bought from them originally, and they did all the service. one of the techs said he's 90% sure it was jetted. They are going to research it and see.

As for the head pipe, the stocker looks like to flows quite well, so I'll leave it on. The bike is already pretty fast IMO. My little brother rides often, and he said it felt stronger than most of the 400exs he'd rode.

I appreciate all the comments guys!

honda_runner, yes it was a blast. I love the fits, but the wife hates hatchbacks. I was torn between buying a swapped hatch, notchback mustang, or a bike and a pickup. I choose the latter as you can have More fun with the wheeler.

I was always worked about getting caught speeding or racing in the Evo. At least on the wheeler I can do that somewhat legally :)

Last question for now, what plugs to you guys run?

I have a ton of NGK plugs left from the Evo (br8es, br9es, br7es, and a couple bpr8es) that are brand new.

As for the manual, the 1st owner is suppose to drop it off to the dealer for me soon.

Take care guys!

-Will

muad
05-12-2009, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by bigd's ex
Welcome to the A.A.D.S world. I run a 2 Brothers & love it. Like Scuzz said, it is alittle loud ,but a nice sounding kind of loud if you know what I mean. ha ha. You can get different tips for it to quiet it down if you want. They do make a difference & they do not take away any power. imo. Mine came with a 170 main jet so I'm quessing that is probably what's in yours if the other owner changed it. I suggest you open up that air box with that pipe. I ran it both ways, closed / open, & runs much better open. I made my own lid with an Outerwears cover. I've ran it in mud,water, snow, etc, & have had no problems what so ever. Sure beats $ 100 a power lid. I have $14 in my lid. I also bought an extra lid for $12 to put on while washing it. Here's a link to give you an idea of how to make one.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=330349

Good deal, thanks for that link. I'll have to check it out!

05trx300ex
05-12-2009, 09:42 AM
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for it?

muad
05-12-2009, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by 05trx300ex
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for it?

$2800 and change before tax.

I thought that was a really good deal. I was also looking at a few 450s they had, two hondas and two yamahas as well as a 700 raptor. They were all over 4K used, and were a little "beat" IMO. Well, maybe not beat, but well used.

Snipe
05-12-2009, 10:25 AM
Not to steal the thread. Been looking at buying a EHS racing lid the DIY one for $55 this is awsome didnt know they sold the filter alone.

Will def be doing something like this cant wait to try this out lol

There is a 05 setting here where I live for $1600

scuzz
05-12-2009, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Snipe
Not to steal the thread. Been looking at buying a EHS racing lid the DIY one for $55 this is awsome didnt know they sold the filter alone.

Will def be doing something like this cant wait to try this out lol

There is a 05 setting here where I live for $1600

I have that lid for my 700xx and l-o-v-e it.

kilgoja
05-12-2009, 03:36 PM
sorry dude...i have an evo 9 and a 2007 400ex....haha...anyways you should always use supreme gas for your ex...it says in the owner's manual...91 octane or higher...your quad looks brand new....hope you have fun with it

BigLuke
05-13-2009, 09:07 AM
Welcome to the site!!:D

F150 Rider
05-13-2009, 10:53 AM
Welcome aboard this awsome forum! you have one Nice 400ex man that thing does look brand spankin new! I have the EHS lid on my airbox and love it, it keeps out alot of dirt and grime.

muad
05-13-2009, 01:07 PM
Thanks for all the nice comments guys!

kilgoja, I miss mine. Had Buschur Racing stage 4+ upgrades, FP white rabbit turbo etc. Was pretty qucik on pump for sure, I never got to see her shine on e85 or q16 though.

Well, I opened up my airbox and found this:
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa46/muad_dib1982/IMG00050.jpg

Looks like I don't need to get a filter. My dealer forgot to look up to see if the previous owner bought a jet kit, however I'm thinking he did. For now, I'm going to go for a ride, then pull the plug. If it's chocolate, I'll just leave it alone.

Is it easy to open the carb to look at the jets?

I'm hoping my manual comes soon, it stinks not having the owner's manual to look up easy to find answers.

Stay tuned. I'm going to look into thie EHS lid asap. For those who have it, have you been through much water with it installed? That's one of my main concerns.

muad
05-13-2009, 01:25 PM
Ok, just got a call from my dealer.

When this bike was bought new, the two brothers m7 slip-on, and a quadworks power-up kit was installed.

Anyone know what jets are in that kit?

rob_990
05-13-2009, 01:33 PM
Is it easy to open the carb to look at the jets?

[/B][/QUOTE]

ya just take the bottom(i think 4)screws off.just make sure you drain the gas first and becarefull with the screws cause they strip really easy.