PDA

View Full Version : Help widening youth ATV

RonS
05-12-2009, 04:42 AM
I think the safety Guru's have missed the boat on safety for kids ATV's. They should probably worry less about CC's and more about footprint as the width of an ATV is probably more important than the CC's.

That said, what is the best way to stabilize a youth ATV. In an effort to be law compliant, my 12YO has an
Arctic Cat 90 Utility with a 32" wide wheel base. She only weighs about 85LBs and the center of gravity is already too high-
what happens to the 15YO who weighs 150?

How do I widen to lower the center of gravity without it costing me my left lung?
:confused:

nakomis0
05-12-2009, 05:02 AM
Wheel spacers or offset rims.

jandjracing
05-12-2009, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by nakomis0
Wheel spacers or offset rims.

I don't mean to jump on you, but wheel spaces or offset rims will only amplify the handling problem most youth ATVs come with let alone the single a-arm version this guy is talking about. Wheel spacers are cheap, but they make your tire swing when it is turned rather than pivot. Longer dual a-arms and good shocks are the only way to safely widen a youth quad. The upgrades are expensive, but can you put a price on her or your lung?

RonS
05-12-2009, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by jandjracing
Longer dual a-arms and good shocks are the only way to safely widen a youth quad. The upgrades are expensive, but can you put a price on her or your lung?

Can you make specific recommendations?
The things WAY too "tippy" for my confort.
... what about the rear? Longer axle?
Spacers?
Thanks again for the input.

jah8551
05-15-2009, 10:01 AM
you could do spacers on the rear, but not on the front. I believe diamond j customs makes a dual arm conversion for youth quads so you could check them out. they have a store on ebay and you can usually get stuff cheaper from them on there.

400exrider707
05-18-2009, 01:07 PM
Spacers on the rear (as much as I hate saying that...) of if money allows, an axle.

The front there is numerous ways, most of them suck. What model atv is this? Most youth atv's come with single arm suspension in the front, which is a terrible design to begin with.

RonS
05-18-2009, 03:15 PM
Yes, it's a single arm. Waiting to hear back from Diamond J for a dual set up.
Finding anything for this thing is a pain
in the butt. Guess that's what I get for trying to stay in line with the
"regulators":rolleyes:
Thanks for the help.

jandjracing
05-18-2009, 03:26 PM
A DRR 90 or Apex 90 come in at a width of 44" wide and have dual a-arms. They also have hydraulic front and rear disc brakes. They are both very safe quads. You can find more about them and probably get your questions answered quickly in the mini atv section of this board.