PDA

View Full Version : two questions.. lowering kit... and idle adjustment

beck125
05-11-2009, 09:22 PM
how do you adjust the idle on a 400 ex? i looked for the screw everywhere and cant find it? i feel dumb asking this but still...
and i see lowering kits for the front end... what is the purpose of lowering your quad. .. i know there would be a lower center of gravity and more stability but is there more to it? thanks

uchi
05-12-2009, 05:24 AM
if your looking at the left side of the bike, the side with the fuel on off dial, look under the carb and theres gonna be a line with a screw in it facing you. hangs down from the carb a little. its the only one thats gonna face you, and you can adjust it by hand.

bigbad400
05-12-2009, 07:22 AM
lowering would be for drag racing flat track drift racing or something like that were ground clearance dont matter, but basicaly its to lower the center of gravity and make it more stabil. definatly would not be good in the woods.:rolleyes:

dont get any of those premade kits from diamond j my widening kit bent on me from a 15- 20 ft jump down hill, i even rode it out, it was not that much of an impact. not impressed anymore.

F-16Guy
05-12-2009, 07:35 AM
Aside from flat track racing, the correct and safe way to lower a quad is to get zero preload shocks that use a dual or triple rate spring system with a tender spring that allows the quad to sit lower. The back shock would use a single rate spring with a tender spring. That would lower the ride height but still allow a full range of suspension movement. This setup is usually used along with smaller tires in motocross for the extra stability. You can use it for other types of riding, but you lose some clearance.