PDA

View Full Version : DRR Shock might be bad need help

rummel
05-11-2009, 05:56 PM
I was wondering if anyone knows what happens when the shock goes bad. We were coming back from the race this weekand when i noticed my sons bike had a black residue on the bottom of the shock covers. Its the front left one if you were sitting on the bike. Can a shock blow out. or what might be the issue

drxracing
05-12-2009, 12:49 AM
sounds like to me you have a blown shock!!! bud is it a dual arm or single?

rummel
05-12-2009, 08:44 AM
Its the dual a-arm and my sone only weighs 45lbs. The quad is not even a year old yet.

Team-Ty
05-12-2009, 06:11 PM
Well sounds like it is gone. The bad thing about these shocks is they cannot be rebuilt and you can't get the spring off without cutting something to check it. To check a shock you have to do it with the spring off. Hold the body of the shock in your hand and press the shaft in using the floor. You should feel some resistance and should be very smooth going into the body. Now with the shaft all the way compressed take the shock and hold it so the shaft points upwards and watch and feel and listen to the shaft. It should come out slowly with no skipping/stuttering. Towards the end of the stroke is where allot of the problems are. At the end of the stroke you might see it shoot out or hear some gurgling sounds. If this is the case then you are low on oil. If the shaft does not come out at all then you have no nitrogen charge, either one of these issues are bad the shock needs to be rebuilt or replaced. Also look for chips or rust on the shock shaft, if there is any it will tear your o-rings and you will loose oil or nitrogen.

Hope this helps should have posted this on the main board for people to check out it a good way to tell if the shock is blown or worn.

Let me know if you need anything else

Thanks
Shawn
DS Modz