PDA

View Full Version : what tire should i use?

uchi
05-11-2009, 05:15 PM
My back tires are wearing down. So I think this year I'm gonna need to get some new rears. I ride everything. Trails gravel mud I do hill climbs. I pretty well get into a little of everything except for sand as I don't have any to ride. So what's the best tire for me to use?

BEAVER.989
05-11-2009, 05:58 PM
ITP Holeshot GNCC's or Maxis Razr's.

Snipe
05-11-2009, 06:09 PM
AMS packtracks, Razrs 1 or 2 or ITP hole shots are gonna be your top rated tires there all pretty much Identical I have owned them all 3 in the 6 ply rating.

honda400ex2003
05-11-2009, 06:51 PM
razrs are the way to go for general riding. steve

dang400ex
05-11-2009, 07:18 PM
A set of razr IIs will last forever and are an awesome tire....kinda pricy but you will get your moeny out of them....awesome grip for hill climbing and overall for anything....my buddy bought a set of razr Is new and I already had my used razr IIs for a while and mine still have more tread left than his.

billyboy93
05-11-2009, 07:18 PM
Razrs

uchi
05-12-2009, 05:22 AM
sweet thanks for the info guys. looks like ill be ordering a set at the end of the season. how much can i expect tospend? just wondering so i dont overpay

racerdan24
05-12-2009, 05:35 AM
My .02 cents....I have had Holeshot HD's for over a year. Wear was excellent as well as grip. I just bought Razr's last week for an extra set of rears....Jury is still out on those as i will be using them for a race in June only...I have heard the wear is a little less on the Razr's vs. Razr II's. Price wise they are pretty close except the Razr 2's which are more expensive but you are paying for the longevity of the tire.

jaredbeast
05-12-2009, 05:39 AM
holeshots and razrs are both very nice tires but they dont come with alot of tread unless you get the holeshot HD or razr2. Only problem with these 2 tires is they are way overpriced.
A week ago I bought some of kendas new tires for this year called the "kutter". They are abso****inglutely the most beastly, beefy, and in my opinion, best performing tire out there for our style riding. They come in 6ply as well. Nobody will ride behind me because these tires pick up and throw some very large debris. I was most impressed with how well they cleaned out after mud. For $65 a piece I think they are the best buy out at the moment. Fronts are $55 a piece but I only needed rears like you so thats all I got. My old tires were holeshots by the way.

asalerno0703
05-12-2009, 06:39 AM
i just bought new tires all around. i ended up going with the ITP Holeshot HD's. i love them and i am happy i bought them. they are 6 ply tires and will last a while. they are good for rocky terrain, trail riding, mud and getting out of ruts. but at the same time are great for any type of racing. they are good for all around riding.

Snipe
05-12-2009, 10:20 AM
When buying tires the only place I go is www.rockymountainatv.com Holeshots are $119 for both with free shipping and Razrs are $139 for both with free shipping. AMS paktracks you will have to go to a canam dealer to buy. as they are cheaper there than the AMS website lol

chadbarger18
05-12-2009, 10:24 AM
the round kind:devil: no get razrs they last forever almost

deathcorefan2
05-12-2009, 11:25 AM
i have razrs and i love them

Bryson#221
05-12-2009, 01:10 PM
I'm with most everyone else on this thread..

I own Maxxis Razrs, too. I have raced with them, trail rode with them and dragged. They work the best for everything. Right now I have the Razr MX for my racing, but if you stick to the basic, you can't go wrong. I recommend either Ebay or Rocky Mountain. Sometimes Rocky even has better deals than you can find on Ebay. Try their scratch & dent section, too. Good luck..and let us know what you decide!

racerdan24
05-12-2009, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by jaredbeast
holeshots and razrs are both very nice tires but they dont come with alot of tread unless you get the holeshot HD or razr2. Only problem with these 2 tires is they are way overpriced.
A week ago I bought some of kendas new tires for this year called the "kutter". They are abso****inglutely the most beastly, beefy, and in my opinion, best performing tire out there for our style riding. They come in 6ply as well. Nobody will ride behind me because these tires pick up and throw some very large debris. I was most impressed with how well they cleaned out after mud. For $65 a piece I think they are the best buy out at the moment. Fronts are $55 a piece but I only needed rears like you so thats all I got. My old tires were holeshots by the way.

I agree price of any " name brand " tire will be expensive at someplaces...That is why it is so important to get in " Good " with your local shop...I am fortunate enough to have such a dealer that got the razr MX i needed for $64 a piece delivered AND mounted...also picked up the sticky lites for the front which he charged me the sqme.

uchi
05-12-2009, 03:06 PM
great info. im gonna go with the razrs mentioned in the thread. im thinking of even getting another set of rims and using the old tires for ice racing. we have an ice track right around the corner from me so i wouldmt mind studding them and taking the atv out there and having fun with it :D

katch26
05-12-2009, 03:27 PM
I dont like the razr2 rears......too heavy and IMO overly treaded. I prefer the GNCC or tracstars both are excellent tires. Regular razr are nice though.

uchi
05-12-2009, 04:53 PM
i just checked the bike, it has holeshots on the front and razr's on the rear. just the regular ones. theyre wearing low but still work pretty good so i might invest in some again. does anyone have any specs compairing the razrs to the 2's? mainly just weight, no need to add more rotational weight.

Snipe
05-12-2009, 06:54 PM
Might email maxxis of this. But I used to work with tires hundreds per week. There maxxis razr and razr2's might be dif rubber compounds. Meaning one might be better suited for one thing than another.

Any time you go to a 6 ply tire there heavier. I honestly dont see any dif than the holeshot rears and razr2 rears as far as tread depth.

honda400ex2003
05-12-2009, 07:01 PM
they are a different compound i think. the 2 are a bit harder than the 1. the mx is really soft since it is a race tire. The razr actually has different types of compound too. i think that the only place you can get the different types is right from maxxis or a racing team. They use different rubbers every race depending on conditions. steve

racerdan24
05-12-2009, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by uchi
great info. im gonna go with the razrs mentioned in the thread. im thinking of even getting another set of rims and using the old tires for ice racing. we have an ice track right around the corner from me so i wouldmt mind studding them and taking the atv out there and having fun with it :D

Exactly....I just took my stock rims and added the Razr MX for the rear and Razr Stcky lite to the front...for what i paid its nice having 2 sets to swap out when you need em...Rim and trie sets are a great way to go if you go with RMATV or Motosport.com...Fleabay can get scary because unless they new you could be getting someone elses junk....

racerdan24
05-12-2009, 08:38 PM
My bad...on the last post i put i had Razr's on the front....I have KENDA stickylite's on the front.....I have so much crap for this thing i can't even keep track of it sometimes.....

brackneyc
05-12-2009, 10:31 PM
I use Zippers on the rear, Kendas on the front. I have always used Zippers, even on my Banshees. I just love that tire. :)

BikeSwimLaugh
05-12-2009, 11:09 PM
LOL....I'm in the midst of figuring-out which tires to go with as well. I got a gash in the outer sidewall of my front left tire and figure I should just do it all up with new rubber in all four corners.

I ride trails, mountain, forest and a bit of desert. No track, race or mx. I have to admit, I love the way the stock rears drift & slide so predictably and still hook-up nicely, but the wide spread of knobs and open exposure to non-knobby rubber seems like it's begging for a puncture.

I'm pretty sure I'm going with Maxxis. Seems like 3 choices, Razr, Razr2 and I-Razr

I hear the best front tire that'll be tough, grip and just overall the most common run at GNCC is the Razr2....looks like a winner. It means dropping down to a 21-inch (from stock 22-inch) but I hear that's no problem and actually an improvement. The rear Razr2 looks like scary-FAT Traction on an insane level, doubt I'll be able to slide or drift it, more likely I'll hook it and flip; too aggressive. The Razr also has a tight knob pattern and may be a bit grippy too, plus it may not be the best when I hit the desert loose stuff. So for a bit of drifting/sliding fun and some traction in the desert and still more knobs then stock, I've been suggested the I-Razr.

Only one concern...some guy told me the Razr2 is a radial tire and the I-Razr is a non-radial (bias ply) and it would be a huge mistake to mix the two. He said I needed to go with either radials all the way around or bias-ply. He even suggested mixing & matching was a bad idea...as was leaving the stock 22" to drop to a 21" on the front. So many opinions it's frustrating.

I'm still inclined to go Razr2's on the front & I-Razr's on the rear. One of the guys on the forum, who I respect, swears by it.

I sent an email to Maxxis and we'll see what they say....they have no ph#, just respond by email
:rolleyes:

uchi
05-13-2009, 04:58 AM
I'm gonna have to look at the site to see how each tire looks. I'm guessing the razr is a 4 ply then since the 2 is a 6? I guess it all depends on the terrain you ride. I do lots of gravel and loose stuff and I've found a few small slashes in the top of the tire. Not too deep but they're there. I'm quite happy with my fronts. They grip good and don't seem to give me any problems. Ill find out what my neighbour has. Its a stock tire for his 400 cc arctic cat. Big wide spread lugs but the tire works really well in clay and mud.