PDA

View Full Version : 400EX Not Starting

'o3 4ooEX
05-11-2009, 03:33 PM
I need a little help. I am new to working on quads by myself and after my last, we'll call it "feet of acrobatics," the quad will not start. The quad will push start and run perfectly, but it will not start on it own. The previous owner did something with one of the ignition wires I think he had told me when I bought it. He said something about the green wire that comes from the Neutral Light. If any one can offer any type of help I'd greatly appreciate it.
-Doug

scuzz
05-11-2009, 03:36 PM
Make sure the neutral safety switch wire is connected on the bottom of the tranny by your left footpeg.

'o3 4ooEX
05-11-2009, 05:49 PM
Alright I am going to give that a try right now, I hope its that problem.

'o3 4ooEX
05-11-2009, 06:23 PM
I took that wire off also jiggled it around and still nothing. Could it be that the light blew out and that will not engage the safety feature? Like I said I am really new at this... I also traced the wire as best I could, because it covered in black tape, through the entire bike to see if it was cut or broke and it doesn't appear to be.

sprayedgt
05-11-2009, 06:31 PM
So will the starter turn the engine over but it won't fire?

DirtMonkey
05-11-2009, 06:37 PM
Check the fuse by the battery and make sure its not blown, I think its a 15amp fuse. Mine had that problem last weekend.

scuzz
05-11-2009, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by DirtMonkey
Check the fuse by the battery and make sure its not blown, I think its a 15amp fuse. Mine had that problem last weekend.

This was going to be my next suggestion.

'o3 4ooEX
05-12-2009, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by sprayedgt
So will the starter turn the engine over but it won't fire?

No for some reason the electric start wont do any thing. The quad will start if you push it and drop the clutch but wont electric start.
Wow I feel dumb never thought to check the fuse... I am going to check it out first thing in the morning. Could a fuse blow in the process of the quad doing flips and cart wheels by itself? I guess if something shorts in that process correct?

'o3 4ooEX
05-12-2009, 06:56 AM
Well the fuse was blown and I replaced it and still cannot start the quad. Is there another one somewhere else? Or am I looking at a totally different problem?

scuzz
05-12-2009, 07:56 AM
Sounds like the fuse blew again. You may need to go through the quad and look for frayed or smashed wires.

'o3 4ooEX
05-12-2009, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by scuzz
Sounds like the fuse blew again. You may need to go through the quad and look for frayed or smashed wires.

Nope fuse is fine just checked it... When I fix this Ima ride this thing like a 90 year old woman so I don't have any more issues haha

scuzz
05-12-2009, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by 'o3 4ooEX
Nope fuse is fine just checked it... When I fix this Ima ride this thing like a 90 year old woman so I don't have any more issues haha

That sucks though, I hope you get it all worked out.

'o3 4ooEX
05-12-2009, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by scuzz
That sucks though, I hope you get it all worked out.

thanks for the help tho! :-)

'o3 4ooEX
05-12-2009, 09:10 AM
Just an update, rejetted the quad and put on my exhaust. I push started the quad and thing pulls stronger then ever and sounds amazing and will run and idle in neutral but will not electric start...

davidw2155
05-12-2009, 09:53 AM
Here is the wiring diagram if that helps, this is the best one I've found anywhere, let me know if you have any questions. This is definately easier than tracing wires through the whole quad. Hope this helps.

'o3 4ooEX
05-12-2009, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by davidw2155
Here is the wiring diagram if that helps, this is the best one I've found anywhere, let me know if you have any questions. This is definately easier than tracing wires through the whole quad. Hope this helps.

Awesome thanks dude! I know I have that laying around somewhere... but where haha is beyond me so good thing someone had it

DirtMonkey
05-12-2009, 10:19 AM
After my fuse blew mine I replaced it and it still would not start and the fuse was fine, it was my starter button that shorted out on me. I replaced it and no more problems. Hope this helps.

'o3 4ooEX
05-12-2009, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by DirtMonkey
After my fuse blew mine I replaced it and it still would not start and the fuse was fine, it was my starter button that shorted out on me. I replaced it and no more problems. Hope this helps.

even with that shorted out did your N light not come on?

davidw2155
05-12-2009, 04:36 PM
Awesome thanks dude! I know I have that laying around somewhere... but where haha is beyond me so good thing someone had it

No problem, glad I could help you out.

DirtMonkey
05-12-2009, 05:03 PM
even with that shorted out did your N light not come on?

Yes it did but the starter would not make a sound. I was push starting mine all day so when I got home I took the two wires that are attached to the starter button and touched them together and it started every time, thats how I figured out it was the starter button.

'o3 4ooEX
05-12-2009, 06:59 PM
Well figured it out... Seemed to be when the quad flipped it pulled out a pin from the harness and I found it by literally checking every connection on the bike. Thanks every one for the help!
-Doug