PDA

View Full Version : fans dont work

Joshbeasley
05-11-2009, 12:28 PM
i had a bad saturday. after driving 75 miles to a riding spot the place was closed. we ended up somewhere about 10 miles from home that i hate. i was out there about 30 minutes and my temp light came on. when i looked at my fan it was not moving. i havent checked anything yet. i was so mad i just went home. is there a common issue with these of probally just a fuse?

knoxville9
05-11-2009, 02:07 PM
I wouldn't think its a fuse most likely the conection has dirt in it mines done it before. That or you have a short on your temp. light and its malfunctioning

ifixtheyride
05-12-2009, 11:11 AM
There are 2 thermal switches in the radiator 1 drives the idiot light and is a warning the other controls the fan you can test the switches or bypass them and force the fan on to see if the fan works. Also make sure water is being circulated the idiot light on is telling you your hot!

Joshbeasley
05-21-2009, 01:56 PM
i am going to try to mess with it tommorow. which switch controls the fan and which one controls the light?

ifixtheyride
05-22-2009, 09:51 AM
Just follow the leads to figure it out they are easy to follow. Remember the switches are just that either open or closed they are temperature driven so when they reach a designated temperature they close and complete circuit for either the light or the fan you can just bypass the switch by tying the 2 wires together to force fan or light on and it is a way to ensure all is working properly

RIDETHEREJK
05-24-2009, 07:54 AM
The bottom one controls the fan. Same thing just happened to my buddies '08, the switch went bad. Hopes this helps.

Joshbeasley
05-25-2009, 06:54 AM
it was the fuse.

ifixtheyride
05-25-2009, 07:19 PM
where is the fuse? I didn't know there was one.

05-25-2009, 07:58 PM
literally re did mine yesterday... same thing on my 03 kfx. the top sensor is your idiot light. a new one is $60. the bottom one is your temp. once it reaches 190degrees, it closes, causing a connection, this turning ur fan on. its $40. other that that, check ur wiring harness under tank... anything could have happened while in transport... hoped i helped u...

oh and if you pull the sensors out, you can check the temp sensor, by putting it in a frying pan with boiling water. take a continuity tester(if you have one...) and put it on the two metal prongs... if it beeps, it works, if it doesnt, get a new one:D

Joshbeasley
05-26-2009, 06:42 AM
it is towards the top of the radiator on the right side. it is in a case with a spare one. the wire plugs in the bottom and the cover comes off the top to change the fuse.