PDA

View Full Version : 416ex burnin oil?

pods_BMOC
05-11-2009, 11:01 AM
Hello, i just recently rebuild my 400ex,
-port polish
-11:1 wiseco 416

And about 7 hours into riding i noticed that my oil was very LOW!
I only run Ams-oil 0w-40 anybody have ideas? Remedies?

F-16Guy
05-11-2009, 11:28 AM
Did you break it in with synthetic?

puTTs
05-11-2009, 11:31 AM
Is it smoking out the back, leaking any where? Are you properly checking the oil? Let it idle for 5 minutes, turn it off then check. If you were hard riding for a while then stopped and checked it will be low. Just some basic questions that needed to be asked.

BigLuke
05-11-2009, 11:57 AM
Synthetic on break-in is a no-no.

pods_BMOC
05-11-2009, 08:42 PM
Yes synthetic on break in.... what no-no :( i thought it would be good for it, the engine is just broke in, checked after a full day of riding, and absolutely no smoke out the back.... why is synthetics break in bad?

beck125
05-11-2009, 09:25 PM
hey i just did this to mine... same comp and everything lol. but i noticed that the oil was a little low after the rings set.. there is the ocasional smoke .. but you just put more oil in and i have been good.. idk

pods_BMOC
05-11-2009, 09:28 PM
Ok, thanks man. Thats what i need to hear.

mark_6516
05-11-2009, 09:28 PM
well i have the same problem smokes when u rev hard maybe 5 hours on it don't know no power loss still beats a mild modded yz 450 in 300 ft or top side when i fresh it up gonna try another brand piston no syn on break in gn4 only

F-16Guy
05-12-2009, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by pods_BMOC
Yes synthetic on break in.... what no-no :( i thought it would be good for it, the engine is just broke in, checked after a full day of riding, and absolutely no smoke out the back.... why is synthetics break in bad?
Most engine builders think that synthetic provides too much lubrication for the engine to break in properly; especially the rings. There needs to be a small amound of friction for new parts to wear and mate together properly. If the rings can't wear against the cylinder wall to create a perfect seal, you may have some compression loss and oil consumption. Your problem may also just be a case of some normal oil consumption during break-in, so top it off and check it again later to see if it's low. Make sure you get the engine warm, let it sit for a few minutes, and then check it. Don't check it cold or you won't get a proper reading.