PDA

View Full Version : SS bolt kits

rigger
05-11-2009, 06:09 AM
Wondering what you guys think about the SS bolt kits that you can get off of e-bay. I think it is around $145 with shipping and is suppose to be just about a complete kit.

I am going to need a lot nuts and bolts for my R project anyway so I was wanting to ask if you guys thought the kit was worth spending the money on or am I better off just buying what I need.

As far as my opinion goes, regular bolts or SS, that is not a big deal to me. But it would be nice to have everything in one kit too.

destey
05-11-2009, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by rigger
Wondering what you guys think about the SS bolt kits that you can get off of e-bay. I think it is around $145 with shipping and is suppose to be just about a complete kit.

Not worth it IMO. I bought one for just the engine and the finish was not very shiny.

I would go with just regular old 10.9 rated zinc plated fasteners. The zinc plating is really shiny and looks nice, the 10.9 rating is much stronger than SS, plus it'll cost like 25% of the SS.

Stainless does rust too, we have stainless steel everything in our dairy farm, and it corrodes just like everything else.

Use the good ol 10.9 metric fasteners, put antiseize on everything, and you'll be good to go.

10.9 metric is like a grade 8 SAE. you'll want them years down the road when you go to remove that random part and you stress the 10.9's even to their max

wilkin250r
05-11-2009, 12:37 PM
There have been quite a few discussions about stainless steel bolt kits recently (last several months), you should search and check some of them out.

Me, personally, I don't like the stainless steel bolts. As a general rule, they're softer than normal bolts. They're not as strong, so they'll stretch a little and come loose. Plus, they gall much easier (the threads start coming apart when thread surfaces slide against each other), so they tend to sieze up, which is made even worse by the fact that you're tightening them more often because they stretch.

Now, some will point out that there ARE stainless bolts out there that are just as strong as normal bolts, and even as good as heavy-duty grade 10.9 bolts. But do you think those are the kits they sell on ebay? Not likely.

mineralgrey01gt
05-11-2009, 01:37 PM
stay far away from them. I had a kit on mine and it drove me nuts how much I had to go back and retighten everything, I lost parts because of the kit riding already also

jcs003
05-11-2009, 04:01 PM
i believe you can buy a few seperate kits from honda that are replacements for different sub-assemblies on a bike.

rigger
05-11-2009, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Guess I will just get what I need as I need it.