PDA

View Full Version : Best tire choice...

BikeSwimLaugh
05-10-2009, 11:53 PM
I want new tires ALL the way around for my Honda 400EX.

I don't race, motocross or do track...I sport-ride desert, forest & mountains. I do enjoy drifting the rear-end around and I've noticed that some tires with less knobs are more for sliding around corners (what I call drifting) while other tires are more for straight-up traction. I'm thinking 6-ply for strenght. Please set me straight on a good tire that'll be strong, durable, have great traction and still be fun on the slide.

BlaineKaiser450
05-11-2009, 12:47 AM
id say Maxxis Razrs in 20s for the rear and 21s for the front

BikeSwimLaugh
05-11-2009, 12:46 PM
Blaine.....you're not gonna do me any good if you're reading my mind. LOL. You pretty much hit it right on the head, that's the tire & sizes I was thinking of.

Let me ask you a question. The stock tires have fewer knobs and they're spaced wider apart. I kinda figure that's why it drifts better around corners n' stuff. I can sorta figure it out for myself, but I'd like to hear from experience: how do the tighter/greater amount of knobs affect the ride? I know it won't throw mud as well, but it seems less prone to puncture, more traction/grip and perhaps less driftability due to traction?

pro-rider46
05-11-2009, 02:18 PM
yeah deffiantly get those razrs. they last forever, and get them in six ply so you dont have any accidents again. the more you ride the more you will be able to drift the quad around. just experiment and it wont matter what tires you got on it.

BikeSwimLaugh
05-11-2009, 02:26 PM
Yeah...I'm getting told Razr2's in the front is the no-brainer choice. As for the rear, it comes down to what style of riding I'm doing.

I like to drift & slide a bit so the Maxxis2's may not be the best choice, I'll likely stick with the Razr1's on the rear.

triple b
05-12-2009, 01:07 PM
What about the ITP Trac Stars?

6 ply light weight radial tire.....It looks like a great tire for general riding on a stockish 400ex

4.5 lbs lighter than the Razrs

BikeSwimLaugh
05-13-2009, 05:03 PM
Response from Maxxis:

Hi Steve. Thanks for contacting us again. I would recommend you go with the IRazr rear, which is a radial tire, and the Razr 2 front, which is bias. Both tires are extremely durable and offer excellent traction, and you will be able to slide the IRazr rear better than the regular Razr. It is not a problem at all to mix radial and bias tires on your quad, as long as your fronts are the same and your rears are the same. We do actually offer the Razr 2 front in the 22x7-10 as well as the 21x7-10, and either would be a good choice. I hope I have helped. Please contact us again if you have any further questions. Sincerely, Scott ******, Maxxis. -END

Hmmm...so mixing bias & radial is okay, cool to know and these are tire manufacturers, so I'd like to figure they know what they're talking about & doing.

Next issue...so the front tire IS available in stock size, 22 7x10 but it seems like a lot of guys go 21-inch. Well, a smaller tire means a bit less clearance and it does change-up the geomatry a bit, but since the tires fit on the same wheel, I'd imagine the 22's have more sidewall exposure so they may ride nicer BUT have more area exposed to damage/puncture....but these are puncture resistant. Tough call....any ideas on 21 vs. 22-inch???

That Razr2 front tire looks a bit weird with the heavy strip down the center and just a few knobs along the side, the regular razr looks better, but the razr2 is so much more reco'd by many people...supposedly the pick for most all GNCC racers & enthusiast. Gotta take reco over looks (Hmmm, same thing applies to selecting a wife :))

Aarons 01 400EX
05-19-2009, 08:13 AM
Where is the cheapest place to get tires? I looked at the site sponsor C&D, but I don't feel like wasting 15 minutes on the phone..

05-19-2009, 08:23 PM
About the tires 21" tires turn sharper than 22" but I think they have more feedback. IMO get 21" front. For front tires I dont like the regular Razr I actually like Kingstire Slasher better. They last longer and have better tread. I know from experience because I have Razr on 1 400ex and Slasher on my oher 400ex. For the rear i'm still debating whats best because there are so many tires I havent tried.

BikeSwimLaugh
05-19-2009, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Aarons 01 400EX
Where is the cheapest place to get tires? I looked at the site sponsor C&D, but I don't feel like wasting 15 minutes on the phone..

I had a problem finding the Maxxis tires I wanted.....pretty much EVERY store didn't have 'em in stock, so that led to my calling around for price & availibility.

Rocky Mountain Parts had very good pricing, probably the best.
http://www.rockymountainatv.com/HeaderVeh.do

1-800-336-5437

But my best deal came from Motor Sports at
http://www.motosport.com/atv/search/index.php?pssource=true&psreferrer=http%253A%252F%252Fsearch.aol.com%252Fa ol%252Fsearch%253Fs_it%257Cequalto%257Csearchbox.w ebhome%257Camp%257Cq%257Cequalto%257Catv%2Btires%2 Band%2Bmotorsports&catID=413&pcatID=278&catName=Tires&pcatName=Tire+and+Wheel&tnc=1&gclid=CMHw7r6MypoCFQxBkgodIjNj3Q&ef_id=1683%3A3%3As_6c3283dbaec29caf040a1500f1bffcb b_2348355985%3Ax%40N5Wko-KSIAAGgGhnIAAAAF%3A20090520045130

1-866-667-6288

If you order more then $350, they take $60 off the bill. I toppled $350 by $1 by ordering a K&N recharge filter kit. So for 2 Maxxis Razr2's (front) and 2 Maxxis I-Razr's (rear) and the recharge kit the total came to $291 and that includes tax & shipping! Rocky Mountain was $326 and the others were about $360-$420

dannyco09
05-19-2009, 11:39 PM
rockymountainatv.com also has some money back deals. If you spend $300, they take $50 off. And they also offer no tax and free shipping.

BikeSwimLaugh
05-20-2009, 12:04 AM
Good to know...

If Motorsports doesn't come through with inventory, I'll perhaps switch my order to RMP...especially if it's cheaper! :D

Aarons 01 400EX
05-22-2009, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by BlaineKaiser450
id say Maxxis Razrs in 20s for the rear and 21s for the front
11x10 or 11x9 for the rears?

IcutMetl
06-02-2009, 10:14 AM
I can definitely say that the Razr2's don't slide bad, but it does take more to whip it around compared to the regular Razr's. My 2's go thru so much more stuff than my pal on his standard Razr's that I'd never switch.

Scro
06-02-2009, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by IcutMetl
I can definitely say that the Razr2's don't slide bad, but it does take more to whip it around compared to the regular Razr's. My 2's go thru so much more stuff than my pal on his standard Razr's that I'd never switch.

A wise man from Alabama once said, "If ya hit it goin' a hunnerd, you gonna make it across":p

IcutMetl
06-02-2009, 10:39 AM
Haha yep...I like that attitude. But seriously...there are times that wish I had the regular Razr's, but more often than not glad I have mine.

My bud has regular Razr's on his Banshee, previously on a Warrior. I think the Banshee would spin tractor tires to hell, but even on the Warrior it was a challenge. I can creep thru stuff at 1/4 throttle that he has to roost thru just to make progress- multiple occasions. And we have even switched bikes-same results.

Scro
06-02-2009, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by IcutMetl
Haha yep...I like that attitude. But seriously...there are times that wish I had the regular Razr's, but more often than not glad I have mine.

My bud has regular Razr's on his Banshee, previously on a Warrior. I think the Banshee would spin tractor tires to hell, but even on the Warrior it was a challenge. I can creep thru stuff at 1/4 throttle that he has to roost thru just to make progress- multiple occasions. And we have even switched bikes-same results.

No doubt that Razr2's are better in mud. Outside of mud, Razr's are better in my opinion. It's all personal preference.

braybray08
06-02-2009, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by dannyco09
rockymountainatv.com also has some money back deals. If you spend $300, they take $50 off. And they also offer no tax and free shipping.

Is there a code you have to enter to get this deal?

IcutMetl
06-02-2009, 03:04 PM
When you first sign onto their site, there should be some sort of a banner at the top of the page with a link to details on the deal. It'll give you a code you input at checkout.

braybray08
06-03-2009, 11:07 PM
Its not showing up for me and i even order from them regularly, can you just give me the code?

BikeSwimLaugh
06-03-2009, 11:14 PM
Scro,

Everyone is out-of-stock on lots of Maxxis....but I've got the Razr2's coming in a few days, stayed with the 22-inch and I believe you when you say the Raz2's are a no-brainer for a strong, tough, well-made front tire.

You may recall that I like to do a bit of drifting/sliding and so you reco'd the I-Razr's for the rear...well, the I-Razr is officially back-ordered until July!!!

I don't ride track of mud, just trail-ride and want something super-durable and offers good traction but can still be broken-loose a bit on turns...besides the I-Razr, anything else you might suggest? The Razr2 rear's look like rail-like traction. I can run my stock OEM's for a month until the I-Razr's show-up....but anything else to consider?????

Thanks!

Scro
06-04-2009, 07:01 AM
I recommended the Razr1's for the rear, not I-razr.