View Full Version : Why'd I crash???

BikeSwimLaugh
05-10-2009, 11:51 PM
Guys....

So I took my 400EX out for it's 2nd venture. The guys I rode with told me the dealer must have put way too much psi in the tires cause they were at 15, so we dropped 'em all down to 5.5 pounds.

The day went fine...I went over 2.5 hours and had a BLAST, drifting around corners, going up hills, just enjoying the heck out of the quad.

On the way back we went through some narrow trails where there were some nasty rocks..I'm pretty sure this is where I must have gotten a gash in my front left tire, we figured this out later...read on:

So I was coming down a straight and there was like nothing on the trail....SUDDENLY it was like an invisiable hand just turned the handlebars to the left, the whole quad jilted and in an instant I was eating major brush & shrub and heading up the slope of the hill on the left. I was thinking "WTF!!!!! and had the presence of mind to try to steet back to the right....but it all happened so fast. I thought the quad was going to roll and I'd go over, but it came to an abrupt stop.

The guy behind me came up and we pulled the quad off the slope. The front left tire was flat. We figured I may have broke the bead, but when we went to reinflate we found a gash on the outer sidewall...a slow leak. So it wasn't a blow-out, just a hole that slowly leaked until I was running on a flat tire. As we looked at the trail behind me, there appeared to be almost nothing...maybe a rock or two about the size of a softball or baseball. It was like an invisiable force just smacked me off the road! By the slow loss of air it wasn't an abrupt air-loss, just (as previously mentioned) a gradual loss until I was running flat.

Ughh....maybe I steered a bit to the left and the tire got soggy, almost rolled under itself and the front left being dragged-down like that sorta bump-steered me to the left and that's what happened...or maybe a rock got dragged under the flat.

I won't kid you guys...it has me freaked a bit. Had I been up high on those mountain roads when I got thrown off where there were some very steep hills.....I may not be typing this right now.

So 2 questions:

1) WTF likely happened?

2) I want new tires ALL the way around. I don't race, motocross or do track...I sport-ride desert, forest & mountains. I do enjoy drifting the rear-end around and I've noticed that some tires with less knobs are more for sliding around corners (what I call drifting) while other tires are more for straight-up traction. I'm looking to avoid what happened again, so durability and 6-ply sounds like the ticket. I'm thinking Maxxis or ITP...so please set me straight on a good tire that'll be strong, durable, have great traction and still be fun on the slide.

Really appreciate the help, sorry if I sound like a total noob...but hey, it's still better to be a noob and enjoy the sport then be one of these elitist snobs who thinks riding is beneath him! :D

BakerRacing40
05-11-2009, 12:53 AM
hey was there any water on that little straight or a saturated area? one day a couple years back we were play racing through the woods and came out to run on the beach for a little bit and i went to the shore line a little before the other guys and then when they came out of the woods the last guy didn't know i was right there and rolled out and i kept scooting over i was still a little ways away from the lake's water line. i was in fourth gear on my yfz and it took a 90degree left, no slight pull... just like you said like a hand just jerked the tire and slammed the steering.. i really wish it'd been july when this happened it was january and the lake had a strip of ice at the bank about 4 or 5 inches wide. the wheeler ended up side down about twenty feet from the shore and i was up to my chest in water and couldn't breathe cause of the shock.. bad day but i wasn't injured thanks to my ridding gear.. just really cold and from having to ride a couple miles to the truck.. had a nice cold after that...

BikeSwimLaugh
05-11-2009, 12:49 PM
No dude....no water at all. But yeah, it was just like an invisable hand reached down and smacked me violently off the road. Looking back at the road/trail....no apparently obstacles or anything that could have done it. Very f-in strange!

Glad you didn't get hurt that day. Icy water takes it out of ya real quick.

cosinostra
05-12-2009, 03:54 PM
Sounds like God was up to his silly tricks again........ You should be freaked out... Really freaked out...... As a matter of fact,, I'm a little freaked out....

BikeSwimLaugh
05-12-2009, 04:15 PM
I think you're right man, we should ALL freak-out, that'll solve all our problems. Perhaps drain the gas from our quads and resolve ourselves to playing video games. But what if the hand of God gives our fingers the sudden cramp from hell?

Man....nobody told me living life would be so tough. :D

It's called Welcome to the world of riding on 4 tires instead of 2; bump-steer. My front left tire was flat and I was unaware of it, I must have hit a rock, the tire rolled on itself or something funky. F-it. I'm buying some Maxxis Razr2's for the front and getting a really nice steering stabilizer, beyond that...***** happens, happened and will happen: life goes on. I'm just happy it didn't happen while I was on a steep hillside...in other words, it could have been much worse.

coryatver
05-12-2009, 04:19 PM
The stock tires are known to have thin sidewalls any riding with rocks you will cut it fast.

6 ply tires are definitly the way to go. Make sure you get the stock size tires. 21x11-10 and 20x11-9. The middle number 11 doesn't really matter what number it is.

To prevent this type of accident from happening again you can get a steering stabilizer. It is like a shock for your steering and will keep the bars from being ripped out of your hands and take away hits from hard impacts. They are not cheep the good ones are around 500. cheap ones are around 150 but they wear out pretty fast.

Sounds like you are new to riding so just keep riding as much as you can to get better and trust me this isn't your last wreck it happens lol. Just make sure you have a good helmet, googles and always wear over ankle boots, pants, and long sleeve shirt and gloves so when you hit the dirt you have some protection.

BikeSwimLaugh
05-12-2009, 04:52 PM
Excellent advise!

New tires are being researched and will be bought. I'm thinking of some Maxxis Razr2's in the front, dropping from stock 22-inch down to 21-inch...and some Maxxis I-Razr's in the rear.

Steering stabilizer was ordered, got the streamline billet with 7-position adjustment AND rebuildable...this should help!

Always wear full-protection, gotcha!! Yeah, boots, pants, helmet, long-sleeved shirt, gloves and I bought this funky long-sleeved protection system that has elbow, back & chest protection...kinda like a chest-protector but you wear it under the jersey.

Thanks!