PDA

View Full Version : KFX400 routine maintenance/ a few questions.

moonpie312
05-10-2009, 10:45 PM
Okay guys heres the deal. I'm new here, because I got an ATV. 2006 Kawasaki KFX 400. absolutely love it, and right now, you guys that are going to say stupid crap about me not knowing things. LEAVE NOW. I'm here because I need to learn, so I would greatly appreciate any help I can get.
Now, I'm a daily auto/lawn Mechanic, but i dont know much about these things. I can change the oil, but thats about it? but I dont know the technical stuff ya'll do.
Before anybody says it, NO I dont have a manual and I DONT have the money to buy one. So I need you guys to tell me the basics.
Such as, Chain lubrication/tension, how to clean/maintain the foam air cleaner, how to check the oil,(yes that sounds stupid but I've read a lot of different people saying a lot of different things, about doing hot or cold to hell i dont even know!)
I just need you guys to just tell me all the normal things, its bone stock, except some idiot before me took the endcap off the muffler and chopped off the little peice of pipe that sticks in the muffler and then put the endcap back on(good/bad?) it has about 50 hours on it and it seems to run just fine. i also need to know stuff like the valve adjustments and stuff, like what does it take to do it and when should i do it?
I NEED HELP!
and thats not an understatement.
and then aside from the normal crap, I do eventually wanna upgrade. but for now I need to know all the stuff about it. its completely stock, nothing at all has been done to it. Now ive read things about factor recalls? does this apply to mine? something about the clutch cover? i dont know. but right now the biggest thing, since its stock, and im new to the ATV world, I need to be told all the important things I need to know. so please help!!

jonboy
05-11-2009, 02:05 AM
Well First of all, Welcome to the forum. You got yourself a fine bike that is a very versatile bike. As for routine maintenance, it is all very easy. When checking the oil you need to start it and let it idle for about 3-5 mins then shut it off and check it with the dip stick on the oil tank on the left side under the front fender. When you go to change the oil you will want to let it idle for 3-5 mins and warm the oil( speeds up the process) then drain both the oil tank and the motor by removing the oil plugs at the bottom of both. If changing the oil filter during the oil change, remove the 3 bolts from the oil filter housing located on the clutch side of the bike or right side if sitting on the bike. Replace filter and reinstall the cover. Reinstall the drain plugs and use an oil that is recomended for motorcycles and atvs. Do not use automotive engine oil. The bike oil has micro-friction inhibitors made for wet clutch setups like your kfx. I use Honda's GN4 and have never had any issues with that oil on any of the bikes I have owned. Get a small funnel with a long neck to put it in the oil tank. Fill the oil tank with 2 qts of oil 2.2 if changing filter. Let bike set for 2-5 min to let oil settle back into motor to prevent a dry sump startup. It is very hard on the motor.
To Set tension on the chain most folks check by using there 2 fingers on top of the end of the chain guide or by pulling it up if it has more than an inch of slack then adjustment need to be made. To do this, you must loosen the 4 17mm bolts located at the top of the swingarm at the axle carrier. Then you need to adjust the tensioning nut at the back of the swinger until the desired chain tension is acquired. Before adjusting the tensioning nut I recommend cleaning the bolt threads with a wire brush and spraying lube such as WD40 on it. When you get the correct tension then tighten the 4 bolts back up very tightly. To lube the chain first clean it completely using a small plastic bristle brush or a tooth brush. Then completely soak chain with a good penetrating oil like PB blaster or chain lube. Then wipe up mess.
To clean your air filter, open the airbox lid and take a phillips screwdriver and remove the screw on the filter retainer at the back of filter. Now remove the filter cage from inside the filter. Get a large container or 5 gal bucket and put warm soapy water in it and thoroughly clean filter. Ring it out and let it dry or blow dry it with compressed air. To re-oil filter grab a 1gal ziploc bag,(you'll thank me for this tip) put filter inside and pour filter oil on filter in bag. Now work filter oil into filter by squeezing it in. Once filter is completely oiled, ring out excess oil into bag so oil isnt dripping from filter and let it set to dry off a bit. No pour oil in the bag back into the filter oil bottle. this will help the bottle last longer. I have found that Maxima or Bellray filter oils are the best. You can oil filter with a heavy wt motor oil if in a pinch.
Shimming the valves are easy but I strongly recommend getting a manual for this task to get all the specs. You will want to check the clearances periodically. If it becomes hard to start or, starts and idles but bogs down and dies under throttle is usually a good indication that they need shimming.
For the factory recall I believe they were on the 05 models only but still check. Get your vin number off the left side lower frame rail and take it to your local suzuki or kawasaki dealer. As for upgrades just search around the forum and you can find all kinds of info.
Now go get a fricken manual because I'll be damned if I type all this crap up again. Good luck. I hope this helps.

drzoo2
05-11-2009, 06:16 AM
My '06 LTZ required the recall to be done. Give your dealer your VIN and see if it needs it.

z

moonpie312
05-11-2009, 09:17 AM
thanks guys