PDA

View Full Version : broke my shifter off; now what?!?!

bbender85
05-10-2009, 08:16 PM
had a decent day on the dunes today, until i noticed my shift lever had must have adjusted down a notch; so i head to the parking lot to adjust it, and half way there the thing breaks right off; the post that the shift lever clamps around broke right off.......

so now what? do i have to tear the motor all the way down to fix this? never been in the bottom end of one of these.

Ruby Soho
05-10-2009, 08:23 PM
not to sureon the 400.. but in most cases the shift shaft slides through the cases.. from the clutch side. not positive though

mxer346
05-10-2009, 08:41 PM
you are going to have to crack the cases to get the shifter shaft out. sorry to say it's a crappy design.

Honda#4
05-10-2009, 09:11 PM
X2 on tearing the motor apart, I just looked at the microfishe and it doesnt look to good. Talk about a good day shifted into a nightmare.

hypersnyper6947
05-10-2009, 10:18 PM
I know this sounds a bit like a rig, but weld that shifter on there, i would do that before cracking the cases, whats the worst that can happen you have to split them and get a knew shift shaft anyways, why not

dariusld
05-10-2009, 11:06 PM
My friend welded his on and it lasted at least a year.

Ex'r Marlin
05-10-2009, 11:40 PM
When I broke mine, I too was faced with this decision, to either "tear down the whole motor", or possibly drill and tap the "shift shaft" and put a bolt onto it, or try and have it welded on.

Well, knowing that the stock shift lever is steel, and the "shift shaft" is steel too, I opted to have it welded on.

I had someone do it, Greg Conroy of Dirt Addiction in Peoria, Arizona, and he did a fantastic job... He not only welded the outside of the shift lever to the shift shaft, but he also removed the "belly plate" and welded on the inside of the shift lever to the shift shaft, getting a very nice weld on there.

NOTE: Just be sure the shift lever is in the position you want it... :)

Good luck!!