PDA

View Full Version : Uh-oh

exrider12
05-10-2009, 03:00 PM
My Ipod Touch went through the wash. Wont turn on. How can I fix it? What do I do?

631kfx400
05-10-2009, 03:07 PM
hit it with a baseball bat

exrider12
05-10-2009, 03:21 PM
And what help is that?

hondariderdylan
05-10-2009, 03:28 PM
did it have a warranty?

if not, your screwed
if so just go back to where you bought it and they will switch it out, just dont tell them you washed it, say it just wouldnt come on one day:p

exrider12
05-10-2009, 03:31 PM
I was thinking of bringing it back but you can see the water under the screen:rolleyes: . Its in a bowl of rice right now to try and get some water out of it. Hopefully it works. Im not sure if it has a warranty I got it for Xmas

hondariderdylan
05-10-2009, 03:37 PM
let it dry out a few weeks....... alot of electronics will dry out and work after a while

my LG chocalate was dropped in water by my sister and it still works fine

exrider12
05-10-2009, 03:39 PM
Alright il wait out. :ermm:

hondariderdylan
05-10-2009, 03:41 PM
i know it will be tough

just try it out every few days
ask whoever bought it if it had a warranty

exrider12
05-10-2009, 03:46 PM
Alright dude. Thanks.

hondariderdylan
05-10-2009, 03:46 PM
not a problem:)

Warnerade
05-10-2009, 04:06 PM
ya you should be alright once it dries out completely...just give it time.

JForestZ34
05-10-2009, 04:34 PM
Even if you let it dry out for a year and decide to bring it back, YOUR SCREWED.. They have water sensor's in the device and that is the first thing they check when you bring something in.. Once they change color they don't change back... Sorry but it looks like your out of luck...

James

bean2080
05-10-2009, 04:40 PM
i know you dont want to but take it all apart. get it all tore down untill you cant anymore. i have done this before with cell phones and after i got them all dried out they worked fine. hopefully if you do this it will work.

motofreak2772
05-10-2009, 05:12 PM
Its harder to take apart an ipod though...
do they really have the water sensors in the touch? I know with phones they do, but idk about the ipods. those lil water things are gay anyways the one in my Razor is straight red and Ive never got any water on it. only sweat and moisture from the humid weather and maybe some rain. But never to the point that it doesnt work. The rice bowl trick should help though, I dont think there is anything else you can do.

hondariderdylan
05-10-2009, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by JForestZ34
Even if you let it dry out for a year and decide to bring it back, YOUR SCREWED.. They have water sensor's in the device and that is the first thing they check when you bring something in.. Once they change color they don't change back... Sorry but it looks like your out of luck...

James

this depends on where you got it at and if you have a warranty

i got my 3rd gen ipod nano Xmas of 2007 at best buy, then right before Xmas of 2008, then 4th gen nano came out and i wanted one, my 3rd gen ipods charge didnt last as long as it used to so i took it up there in the original packing, told them the problem i had, the lady took it, told me to go get another one. they sat my old one on the service counter, i got my new one, bought another warranty, and heck, they even gave me a 20$ gift card for renewing my warranty. i walked out of the store without a problem

cant wait for the 5th gen nano to come out:devil:

madskrillz2
05-10-2009, 05:39 PM
I got an Ipod nano two years ago and a week after I got it I washed it. I let it dry for about two days and it's been fine since.

toby400ex
05-10-2009, 09:10 PM
If it doesnt start working after it seems dry there are several online companies that do Ipod and Iphone repair. I dropped my Palm Centro in a toilet and somehow everything still worked except for the backlight for the keys after it dried out. I got lucky there.:blah:

Warnerade
05-10-2009, 11:52 PM
fml

Kickstarts-suck
05-11-2009, 01:03 AM
I washed my Glyde and it was a blank white screen. I turned it off and blow dried it and let it sit for a day and it turned on and worked fine.. Still works great!

JForestZ34
05-11-2009, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by hondariderdylan
this depends on where you got it at and if you have a warranty

i got my 3rd gen ipod nano Xmas of 2007 at best buy, then right before Xmas of 2008, then 4th gen nano came out and i wanted one, my 3rd gen ipods charge didnt last as long as it used to so i took it up there in the original packing, told them the problem i had, the lady took it, told me to go get another one. they sat my old one on the service counter, i got my new one, bought another warranty, and heck, they even gave me a 20$ gift card for renewing my warranty. i walked out of the store without a problem

cant wait for the 5th gen nano to come out:devil:

Yeah but an ipod nano is a lot different than an ipod touch.. With the iphone or the touch the first thing they do is check the water sensors.. If they see any of them triggered, they had it back and say the warranty is void, because you got it wet... Even if you buy there apple care, it doesn't cover water damage...

James

hondariderdylan
05-11-2009, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by JForestZ34
Yeah but an ipod nano is a lot different than an ipod touch.. With the iphone or the touch the first thing they do is check the water sensors.. If they see any of them triggered, they had it back and say the warranty is void, because you got it wet... Even if you buy there apple care, it doesn't cover water damage...

James

what im saying is that not all stores check that, no matter what ipod you have
shuffle
nano
touch
classic
doesnt matter

JForestZ34
05-11-2009, 08:54 AM
Well then that's part of the problem with why things are so expensive... The OP makes the mistake and puts it in the wash, and he wants apple to replace something that he ruined.... If you walk into an apple store and get a teenager look at it, good chances are he might not look, but with all the iphone's and touches going in for problems they are trained to look at the water sensors before they do anything... And that includes hooking it up to there computer to troubleshoot.. If the dot is red they hand it right back to you....

BUt I can understand what you mean by not all store's do this.. By them not doing so is violating apple's policy and risk either getting fired or even the manager getting the ax..

When the store takes back the ipod or phone, it gets shipped back to apple.. When they look at it they will see that the water trigger has gone off and they will call the store and ask why was this turned in for warranty repair... They don't like that...

Check out this website it might be able to help...

http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=113

James

hondariderdylan
05-11-2009, 10:35 AM
the warrantys that many stores offer is not thru apple themselves, it is thru the store

mine was 20$ for a year at best buy and it was thru best buy
had a problem
they replaced it
some stores do it
some dont

JForestZ34
05-11-2009, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by hondariderdylan
the warrantys that many stores offer is not thru apple themselves, it is thru the store

mine was 20$ for a year at best buy and it was thru best buy
had a problem
they replaced it
some stores do it
some dont

I do know of some other stores like best buy and some others that do offer there own insurance and it covers EVERYTHING... Sometimes I would rather buy from them rather than Apple...

James

fasterblaster09
05-11-2009, 12:31 PM
my iphone went through the whole wash cycle. I let it dry out for about a week just blow drying it every once in a while, and it came out fine. but then I dropped it in a toilet 2 weeks later and it was in the water for maximum 2 seconds and it doesnt work...go figure

hondariderdylan
05-11-2009, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by fasterblaster09
my iphone went through the whole wash cycle. I let it dry out for about a week just blow drying it every once in a while, and it came out fine. but then I dropped it in a toilet 2 weeks later and it was in the water for maximum 2 seconds and it doesnt work...go figure

the OP will be ok then:)

extremeblastr
05-11-2009, 01:46 PM
hell my env2 has been in the pool twice in the last week (lets not discuss how haha) and still works like a champ

feuerstack411
05-11-2009, 03:49 PM
My ipod touch went thru the wash and I thouht it was fubar. So I sold it to my friend for $10 and now he almost has it working.

I'm gonna steal that ish back:o

WhiteZrider
05-11-2009, 08:04 PM
Mine went through the wash about two weeks ago, I let it sit for about 2 days..it wouldnt turn on so I wanted to see what would happen to it when I plugged it in my wall charger, it turned right on, took a week or so to dry out, works perfect now.

hondariderdylan
05-12-2009, 08:57 AM
most electronics will dry out and be okay:)