PDA

View Full Version : 88/89 swinger vs 450r ?'s

BULLET99Z28
05-10-2009, 02:46 PM
Building off of an 88 frame, I have read the sticky on the 04/05 450r swingarm swap. My main question is the handling. Is there any real advantage to the 450r setup(mainly the linkage design & geometry, weight savings possibly) ? Trying to decide which setup I want to try and go with. 450r stuff is pretty darn cheap, and parts are readily available. But I want it to ride and handle properly. In the sticky some people were complaining that this swap caused some binding in the rear-end travel. I found an 86 locally that a guy is parting out for cheap, so maybe I'll at least snag the rear master cylinder/ caliper setup for cheap,and sell it or use part of it later on when I decide which set-up I'm foing to run. Thaks for any help or input fellas.

Honda 250r 001
05-10-2009, 03:10 PM
i have never done this set up but i believe it would work. I would not suggest it unless you have some time to get it right, im sure it would work great as soon as you get it set up. Its a huge weight savings and the swinger is -1 of the stock 86 swingarm if u use the 04-05 swinger, which will add traction. You are going to need a adjustible 250r dogbone linkage though.

On the minus side.
Bushings and stuff are a little tricky to get strait apparently. And the geometry would be a little off so setting up a shock would be a littler harder.

2fiftosR
05-10-2009, 07:45 PM
450r swinger with 450r shock and linkages ect works well, huge improvement on the 86 setup. just need to lengthen the linkage or get an adjustable linkage to set the ride height up properly.