PDA

View Full Version : Stock foam filter

buster024
05-10-2009, 01:17 PM
I'm trying to clean up and service a friends 450 for him, and he's got a foam filter that look in pretty bad shape. Can the stock foam filters be cleaned and service? Soap and water? Oil it with K&N oil maybe?

racerdan24
05-10-2009, 01:18 PM
in the long run....its easier to buy a new one to be honest

honda400ex2003
05-10-2009, 01:48 PM
I clean my stock ones in gas and then just reoil them with the appropriate oil. steve

Snipe
05-10-2009, 02:39 PM
Yeah you can clean and re oil just as any other filter. I honestly have a UNI filter but I love the K&N all in one cleaner and oil kit lol. So yup I use K&N products on my UNI air filter!!!:D :D :D :blah:

rob_990
05-10-2009, 04:21 PM
pj1 works the best for me

honda400ex2003
05-10-2009, 04:35 PM
we use amsoil filter stuff. It works good for us. i use the k&n stuff for my k&n and it works great, i have never really thought about using that on regular filters. steve

Snipe
05-10-2009, 04:50 PM
Forgot to mention no matter what you buy just be sure 100% SURE to let the filter dry complelety before oiling or your just wasting oil as it will all drip off from the water.

puTTs
05-11-2009, 06:59 AM
The owners manual says to clean with kerosene. K&N filter oil doesn't work in the stock foam filters. It's to thin and runs out. K&N filters are pleated cotton guaze(spelling) not foam. Make sure the filter is completely dry. Any foam filter oil should work, I like the stuff that says "extra sticky". You can get it at any motocycle/atv shop. Spray cans are usually about $12-$13, you should get 8-10 cleans out of one. Spray the filter with a decent coat let it soak in then dab the excess with a paper towel.

kilgoja
05-11-2009, 03:52 PM
PJ1 is the easiest way...they have two products....spray cans....one you spray on the filter when it's dirty and let it sit like 10-15min then rinse off with water...gets all the dirt off....then you let it dry....then you spray the oil onto the filter(other product)....or you can use other brands of cleaners and oil...i just have 2 air filters and i swap them around....put clean (oiled) filter in the quad and clean the other one so it is ready when the first one needs to be changed.....also you can buy pre oiled filters too...moose racing makes one....i think it's around $15-$20...if you want to just get a new one each time but that could get expensive

davidw2155
05-11-2009, 05:40 PM
I usually clean mine with gas and make sure its really clean, then blow it out and make sure it good and dry. As for the oil, I run a UNI filter and UNI filter oil. I can't imagine using the K&N oil for a foam filter, they are totally different types of oil. If you are trying to recharge the stock foam filter, I would use foam filter oil. I usually just pour some into a big zip-lock or walmart bag, throw the filter in there, and then make sure the filter is good and covered in oil. This works best because you don't get that sticky oil everywhere.

Snipe
05-11-2009, 06:12 PM
No it really does work I swear lol that crap is sticky as hell its like a little kid with a sucker lmao