PDA

View Full Version : how long will my arms last?

trx400ex
08-02-2001, 03:29 PM
hey yall , i know of the common problem on 400exs where the aarms crack by the shock mounts..mine have been cracked for about 2 months ...if i get them welded how much longer will they last?i dont know if i want to buy aftermarket ones because im not sure if i want plus 2...but then id have to get shocks right away thanks

08-02-2001, 03:54 PM
I would like to here what the best thing to do is as well.. Cause I am debating whether to get new a arms.

08-02-2001, 09:17 PM
You can get a-arms in any width including stock! I have +2's and they're awsome unless you ride trails alot. Hope it helps.

400exRacerX
08-02-2001, 09:57 PM
well my 400 is a year old and my a arms are cracking at the mounts and then are bending too, my a arms loook like they are curved. i'm not gonna even bother with re welding them, just going to buy a new front end.its alot of money but worth it, theres alot to be done to my 400 when getting new a arms you need new shocks, tie rods, ball joints, and brake lines. alot of money to be spent there.

08-03-2001, 06:38 AM
YOu should get new ball joints and tie-rods when you get a new front end 400exracerx,,,The houser Arms I got are 1 inch wider and 1/2 inch forward,,,I wanted to go with plus 2 but I also do some trail riding and can't really afford to be a mile wide in the woods....and sorry if I sounded like an A-hole in the other post about changin your tires,,,,I guess if ya groove em then they would tend to wear faster,,,You must make good money to swap em out so often...later :D

Leo
08-03-2001, 07:23 AM
A-arm's cracking is a common problem with the 400EX??

Leo

trx400ex
08-03-2001, 10:03 AM
so ive heard, and experienced

trx400ex
08-03-2001, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by fourtrax
You can get a-arms in any width including stock! I have +2's and they're awsome unless you ride trails alot. Hope it helps.

i know i just meant i wasnt sure if i wanted plus 2 for mx racing , or if i was gonna be a woods racer..

400exRacerX
08-03-2001, 10:15 AM
Leo,
Its not really a common problem unless you do alot of jumping and you are beeting the piss out of your quad, preferably (mx racing). if you are just a everyday rider hitting jumps here and there, riding through trails, and stop at the track every once in while for some fun it shouldnt happen to you, but when you start to hit 65ft doubles it begins to take a toll on stock parts.
Rico,
Don't worry about it. Thats the only thing that sucks about grooving tires they wear down so friggin fast, my job isnt the best niether, i am a teenager and i work at my fathers liquer store. it does pay off the payment that comes in the mail every month for the quad, plus mods, my needs, and what really digs into the wallet is the womans needs!:confused:

trx400ex
08-04-2001, 05:59 PM
well since no one else would answer my first question i guess i will, they completly snaped today at the badlands.......i must say honday built quite a product though ..the bottom shock mount broke clean off and was pushed to the outside of the a arms and i rode it like that for about 5 hours...and i dont beat the piss out of my quad , and i dont race mx or jump 65 foot doubles but i do trail ride everyday and jump 20 foot doubles every other day and maybe a 40 footer once in a while, then my rear holeshot tire thats supposed to be really tough got like 10 holes in it...some slime fixed that..if i can have the arms welded i might get new shocks to help stop the cracks appearing in the upper frame shock mounts :(

08-05-2001, 09:23 PM
hey man
my a arms cracked completly too. at the same location. al i did was weld it back and it hasnt had a problem since.

i just got new lonestar +2 a arms now
i had to buy new ones cuz my ball joints in the stockers were completly wasted.
later

i weld them for right now then buy after market ones later down the road. it will hold

trx400ex
08-06-2001, 02:10 PM
the meatal around the mount is crushed...so i ordered one new a arm to get me buy untill december..then i will get new arms and shocks...just cant decide if i want plus 2 or not

08-06-2001, 02:22 PM
Why not do what I did and get the plus 1 wide and 1/2 forward that houser makes???? Your getting the best of both worlds here...and if ya wanna be a little wider just get some offset rims,,which will put ya right at 2 inches..:D

trx400ex
08-08-2001, 09:16 AM
can i just get them +1out on eitheir side and +0 forward?...youve probably posted this 1000 times .but how much are they?

trx400ex
08-08-2001, 09:16 AM
i forgot this one...do youse stock length shocks?

08-08-2001, 09:35 AM
the cost is about $500.00,,,,and you'd have to email or call John Houser about the 0+ forward..

Stock shock length should be OK,,,but I also use works triple rates which are just a little longer than stock 400ex shocks...

YOu gonna be at Haspin acres on the weekend trips were planning on the open forum?????????????

trx400ex
08-09-2001, 09:47 AM
ill check it out

400exRacerX
08-09-2001, 01:36 PM
can you use stock shocks on houser a arms? because i have enough cash for the a arms but not enough for the shocks, so i was thinking i could use the a arms and stock shocks for the time being until i get enough cash for the shocks. is this possible to use stock shocks with this brand?

trx400ex
08-09-2001, 02:05 PM
yeah rico, you said you have works....but are they (the shocks) built for plus 2 or standard

08-10-2001, 07:53 AM
there built for standard length arms but work just fine with the +1 arms,,,I'll end up getting them revalved later this year only because I need them a little stiffer for my fat arse....:D