PDA

View Full Version : brighter headlights?

uchi
05-09-2009, 10:31 PM
im wondering whos upgraded their lights to something brighter? from the look of it the lights are a basic blinker bulb from a car. id like to jump up to something brighter, maybe a retrofit or hell even a kit if theres one to buy. id like to do some night trail rides this year but i just dont think the stock headlights will be sufficient

supraloud84
05-10-2009, 06:42 AM
I did a retrofit in my machine with HIDs. What a differance. Just one of my lights is brighter than the stocks in high beam. Im thinking about getting some projectors to mount into the stock housings to get a more concentrated beam though

uchi
05-10-2009, 06:44 AM
thats not a bad idea, i wasnt sure if the stock charging system would support an hid. ive got them in my suv and love them. can you give me some info on your setup? pics even? and did you get a hi lo kit or just a single beam setup?

bergoff
05-10-2009, 05:54 PM
yeah i would like to see some pics to. i have a 02 and want to ride a night more. but hindered buy the headlights. i thought about installing some trailtech torches but want to put my money elsewhere.

uchi
05-10-2009, 05:59 PM
I found some brighter bulbs on ebay. They claim to be twice as bright for like 18 bucks. But I'd like to convert to something like a car headlamp bulb.

uchi
05-10-2009, 06:56 PM
this is what i found, any thoughts on it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Super-White-35W=60W-Head-Light-Bulb-TRX400EX-TRX-400EX_W0QQitemZ110376024556QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20 090412?IMSfp=TL0904121510001r29341

gray
05-10-2009, 07:58 PM
i have hids on my bike and the stock charging system can not keep up u need a high out put stator

uchi
05-10-2009, 08:01 PM
Will the stock system be able to support headlights and small auxillary driving lights? Like fog lights for example?

Snipe
05-10-2009, 08:28 PM
I had a yamaha and it ran the stock lights reverse lights and a spot light all off the system.

Best bet get some flood lights for cars and mount under the fenders to keep thoughs fenders looking clean.

uchi
05-10-2009, 08:46 PM
I'm thinking of running my bright *** fog lights in the front bumper. Making a mesh screen for them to keep them from breaking and I should be good. They're really bright. Brighter than most stock car headlights.

buck440
05-10-2009, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by gray
i have hids on my bike and the stock charging system can not keep up u need a high out put stator people often think that H.I.D.'s use more power but it's the other way around. they use half the power of a normal bulb, don't believe me go to www.wikipedia.org or anywhere else that talks about these lights:eek2: :D

uchi
05-10-2009, 09:18 PM
That they do but they take a bit more to initially charge and fire the balast and igniter. They infact are cooler to the touch aswell. I think ill be good with my fogs aslong as the stock charging system can support it all

honda400ex2003
05-10-2009, 09:47 PM
i just got the 30w instead of the stock 25w bulbs last weekend again since i blew a stock low beam. They are better than the stockers but the HID bulbs are the best if you can find them. I paid 10.50 a piece for the high output honda bulbs from the local dealer. steve

uchi
05-10-2009, 10:15 PM
i might grab some off ebay, i checked my service manual and cant find a parts number. anyone have it handy so i can look it up?

supraloud84
05-11-2009, 04:03 AM
I dont have any pics right now. I used a kit that I had at the shop that I pulled out of a customers car. I set them up so only one light would be on for low beams and both are on for high beams. One of my ballasts is bad so im going to order a set of slim ballasts on ebay.

TCracin440ex
05-11-2009, 04:16 AM
has anybody checked into PIAA lights?

http://piaa.com/Powersports/bulbs.html

somebody put these on a quad a while back ago and the difference was huge. something to loook into and they have direct replacement. no cutting and stuff needed

the part number for the 400ex lights are H6M

uchi
05-11-2009, 04:57 AM
H6m. Good to know. The ebay link I sent has the exact same lightbulb pic. So either those ebay bulbs are piaas for half that price or a knockoff and he stole the pic. Hard to tell these days. I think a set of wide spread daylighters would be sweet in the front bumper. Hehe.

That hid kit you put in. How much work was it to make the bulb fit into the housing? The wiring is the easy part but fitment would be hard I'm guessing.

supraloud84
05-11-2009, 05:59 AM
I had to play around with a few different style bulbs until I found something that I was satisfied with the way they fit. Then I fabbed up some brakets and tabs to hold the bulbs in the housings. There isnt anything that is a direct fit unfortunately. That is why I think I am going to try to find a cheaps set of prjector headloghts on ebay and cut them up to try to retrofit them into the factory honda housings. If I do that, I will be sure to take a bunch of pics and do a write up

uchi
05-11-2009, 06:38 AM
Ebay lists projectors in our bulb size. I'm wondering if they'll actually fit. Also I wonder how the vibrations will affect things

hondariderdylan
05-11-2009, 06:59 AM
Pro Armor just came out with a kit for 06 and up
is that what you have?
here it is:
http://www.proarmor.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=919&products_id=1494

uchi
05-11-2009, 07:04 AM
I've got an 03. But I'm sure that's easier to make fit than anything else. Although a projector retrofit would be a piece of cake in our housings

Snipe
05-11-2009, 06:17 PM
Uchi that is what I ment fog lights for your car. It had 2 mounted up backwords that were wired up for reverse lights at night time but they were directional and the Spot light was something around the 100watt range and it powered like I said stock lights 2 fog lights and the spot light.

The bumper thing sounds pretty good as it would be out of the way and if you have a aftermarket scoop or something like that then you wont have to cut it. Your fog lights will work and you will like them as fog lights are missivly bright lol :eek2:

uchi
05-12-2009, 05:21 AM
haha thanks man, actually the fogs i have are very bright, ill get some pics of them at work when i finally find them :)

uchi
05-12-2009, 04:58 PM
found them, theyre 55 watts each, so i played with some positions and even toyed with the idea of running just one, theyre bright as **** too. i powered them up in my workshop, with the door closes its pitch black in there as it has no windows. took the pics with the flash off and powering only 1 fog light.

bottom of the bumper
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v96/turbocav/atv/DSCN3154.jpg

top, not sure which i like more

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v96/turbocav/atv/DSCN3155.jpg

in the middle

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v96/turbocav/atv/DSCN3160.jpg

figure if i can only run one i might go this way, its pretty bright and between this and the bikes lights i should have plenty of light

and inside the workshop, again using only 1 light and its pitch black in there, pics were taken with no flash.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v96/turbocav/atv/DSCN3156.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v96/turbocav/atv/DSCN3157.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v96/turbocav/atv/DSCN3158.jpg

Snipe
05-12-2009, 06:46 PM
Looks good I like the look of one on each side on the tops but ya want to make sure your mounting bracket has them set back or if ya go through brush it might just break them. Weld some streched wire in the outsides loops of the bumper it would give protection to the lights and look cool to lol.

By the way I have the same bumper and I love it! lol.

uchi
05-12-2009, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the input. I like the top mount also. I think its on my list for the next couple weeks. I think that bumper is aluminum and I don't have a tig welder so I'm gonna improvise. I think I might get some chicken wire and rig it to fit on there somehow. Look for a writeup. And let's hope the charging system can hold up. Maybe if I run these I won't run the headlights.

uchi
05-12-2009, 06:54 PM
Actually I think I've got it. Ill make a bracket that extends the lights in towards the atv and then screw wire into the bumper on the inside. That way it isn't sticking out on the outside and it'll look a lot cleaner.

Snipe
05-12-2009, 06:58 PM
Sounds like a plan. If ya lived closer I have a wire feed alum welder at the diesel shop lol.

Bracket would look better. That is why I like the 08 light its mounted under the nose and the bumper protects it

And I honestly dont think if you have these mounted you will have any reason to run the reg headlights lol.

uchi
05-12-2009, 07:06 PM
Haha where do you live? I'm in niagara falls. Well just by it. I stick I'm gonna start on it this weekend. Small screws with washers holding it in and a heavy duty plate for the light. Can't wait to do a night run

KDracing
05-12-2009, 07:49 PM
really !? i do ALOT of night riding in the spring and summer and just use the stock head lights and they seem fine, i do always carry a small mag lite with me in case i have to see some where else on the quad or i get stuck but for general trail riding my brake light bulbs aren't bad at all.

uchi
05-12-2009, 07:52 PM
Interesting. What year is your atv and do you still have oem honda bulbs? Ill pull it out one night to see what I think. But just by looking at them and compairing them in the daytime the fogs look much brighter.

supraloud84
05-13-2009, 04:04 AM
Originally posted by uchi
Haha where do you live? I'm in niagara falls. Well just by it. I stick I'm gonna start on it this weekend. Small screws with washers holding it in and a heavy duty plate for the light. Can't wait to do a night run

You're in niagara falls? Us or canada? I live in North Tonawanda. We should get together and ride sometime

uchi
05-13-2009, 05:03 AM
I'm in canada. Just outside the falls actually. Maybe 15 minutes from the boarder. Definatly man we can organise something and get out. We have some trails leaving my front yard literally. Lol. We went to some trails the other weekend. Found these massive hill climbs but didn't get into them as they looked real slippery. Talked to a friend of a friend who said they use them for some trials and he was in 4th gear on those hills and having issues getting up.

We have a little bit of everything here its great. Do you have msn? If so add me and we ll get something set up. Turbocav@hotmail.com