PDA

View Full Version : considering switch from mx to ft/tt few?

JJs450r
05-09-2009, 03:01 PM
well i have a full blown mx 450r fox and houser long travel all the way around i notice most tt/ft bike are std travel, i know they go minus on the swinger and sway bars a must

but was wondering what kinda gearing is ran?

is long travel good or bad?

idk any help would be awesome and i appreciate it thanks i figure it will be easier on my foot (its broken bad)

06 Honda 450R
05-09-2009, 04:05 PM
it doesnt really matter for the long travel, the reason for the standerd travel is that there is no way that the shocks will bottom out cause the quad is so low and the frame will hit, you can use long travel but you dont need it, if you get a sway bar you will have to get the upper aarm mount instead of the shock mount, i use plus one tooth up front cause it makes my gears longer, it doesnt have work done to the motor but it still doesnt bog down, if you have work you could go smaller teeth in the back also

hotrodbelair
05-09-2009, 04:43 PM
the gearing I run is 14/39 want to get a bigger rear sprocket and run 14/40. as for the bottoming out idk where you got that from when I got my shocks built I measured the the shocks with my frame a 1 1/2" off the ground so you dont bottom out.
long travel will work alright for tt. I dont know what truth to this is with long travel and sitting that low it makes the front end push. but my cousin has got that setup and seems to handle as good as mine.
the shorten swing arm all depends on your weight. im a little guy at around 130lbs so I run a minus 2 for an 04 wich is way short but handles great except on ice. if you have an 06 on up depending on your weight could run a stock 04 rear that would be minus 1 1/4".

06 Honda 450R
05-09-2009, 04:52 PM
i meant that your frame bottoms out before your shocks do, you dont need the long travel for tt cause you dont hit big air, so thats why people spend less on st travel cause they dont need long travel, it is ok to have long travel

rideredms#44
05-09-2009, 05:37 PM
if i were you jj, i would keep longtravel and maybe just get lowering links, that way you can still race mx also i had lowering links for two seasons and it worked just fine. tt is a little more tricky bc handlining becomes the main key you can have all the power in the world but if bike doesnt handle good in corner you will get out ran by someone that doesnt. i use to put a scale under each tire and adjust on my sway bar from there depending on the track. we'll go hit one and run knobby tire class, i miss tt racing bad, just dont miss the long trips every weekend. if we are gonna hit one lets hit dixieland speedway race definatley my fav track nothing like hitting turn on in fifth sitting on footpeg and not backing off throttle untill turn three!!

JJs450r
05-09-2009, 11:54 PM
sounds good mike,

the only problem i would run into is the +1.25, and lowering the quad

does it make a noticeable difference with short swinger?

06 Honda 450R
05-10-2009, 12:14 PM
oh ya, with the swinger you get alot of traction, right now you would have to run lower rear tire pressure for more traction, and you have to sit far back on the seat for more traction

rideredms#44
05-11-2009, 08:26 AM
shorter swinger corners better bc of shorter wheelbase but wants to wheelie easier.

duneboy64
05-12-2009, 07:52 PM
i am running my 08 right now with standard travel +2 slicast, and a +4 axle, lowering link in back, sway bar, and revalved and re springed race tech suspension, other little "secrets" and some motor work also. i am running my stock swing arm right now, but depending on traction a main thing is seat balance throttle control and tire selection, tire selection is very key! your gearing depends on track and it is a great idea to scale each tire, i do. Hoosiers grip on all surfaces, hot or cold. But i have heard american racers slide until hot and when hot they grip the best, especially on dry slick, any body prove this? (i don't run american racers lol) some buddy's of mine have ran those duro tires, they just really grooved the **** outa them and gawd they hook up so much! way better than any tire i have ever ran, plus quite cheap. Work on your set up, the tric trac a arms are amazing though i wish i would have gotten them, so i could tilt my wheels more than my slicast, and hit the corners harder, good luck

hotrodbelair
05-13-2009, 09:47 AM
Ive got both hoosiers and american racers, the amarican racers I only run on a realy well grooved track then they hook up awsome while it still allows me to picth it in the corners. the hossiers I run when its a loose slick track these I bought they were grooved alot and they hook awsome in the loose stuff but I dont run them on a track thats got alot of rubber layed down other wise they get tore up realy fast.