PDA

View Full Version : Brake bleeder screws leaking?

Youngblood
05-09-2009, 12:07 PM
Hey fellas, recently I bled my front and rear brakes. I have an 05 400EX that I just purchased and she still had the stock brake fluid in so I figured It was time to change. I have one bleeder screw on the front master cyliner side caliper and the rear that seems to have a minute leak. If I zip tie the front brake lever down and the rear lever after an hour or so my rubber caps have a little wetness on the bottom of them when I pull them off. No fluid seems to be coming from out of the bleeder port itself but from around the threads. But when I pull the rubber caps off and wipe the bleeders dry and let them sit without the caps they seem to be dry after I check them again. The qaud has only 10-15hrs on it so the fluid is original and the bleeder screws seemed super tight when I first cracked them open to bleed the lines. Do you think that being that they've never been touched in 5 years crap could've built up on the sealing surface of the bleeder causing a small leak? Also how tight do they have to be, I'm afraid of stripping the bleeder out of the caliper if I go any tighter. Thanks

Joe

sheldo
05-09-2009, 01:22 PM
the bleeder screw should be 4.3lbf-ft

Tommy Warren
05-09-2009, 01:43 PM
its probably just a little drop of fluid sitting in the hole on the screw if you put the rubber cap on and take it back off you suck that little drop out. IMO I wouldn't worry about it.

Youngblood
05-09-2009, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the torque spec Sheldo, Tommy, I just went for a quick ride around the yard and the rear was wet around the base of the bleeder again, I definetly see what your saying about the fluid in the cap , I just dont understand how it doesnt seem to be an issue when I strap the rear brake lever down tight with tie straps to put a lot of pressure on the system, but it does when I'm just putting around the yard and using less brake pressure. I just wanna make sure everything is 100% otherwise its gonna be in the back of my mind driving me nuts!

Joe