PDA

View Full Version : huge problems!!!

randallp1
05-08-2009, 06:38 PM
I had a leak on my valve cover gasket, so i removed and changed it. put it back together and now it wont start. Whats up???? I dont know if you have to put it in time or just change it. I hope its not broken.

mark_6516
05-08-2009, 07:42 PM
if just the valve cover u do not have to re time it check the rocker arms and make sure they are in the right positon the may have fliped over

randallp1
05-08-2009, 07:45 PM
would that have damaged anything? bent valves?

250x_kyle
05-08-2009, 07:55 PM
anythings possible to happen when its put together wrong. but i dont see how they could have flipped over on him. unless u pulled the head completly off in wich you removed the cam chain and put it back on it should be fine. check your spark, check your gas, if worse comes to worse leak down test it.

monkeyballs
05-08-2009, 08:43 PM
did you adjust the valve clearance... Then a leak on your valve cover? Or blown HEAD gasket? Becaus if you simply changed the valve cover gasket.. You should not have any problems other then valve clearance. And as long as you did not do any thing horribly worng like not flip back one of the valve rocker arms it should be fine. Did you torque down the bolts?

bbender85
05-09-2009, 12:06 AM
if your new gasket is different thickness than the one that was in it it, you'll need to adjust the valves, and i'd bet it will start for you when they're in spec.

randallp1
05-09-2009, 11:24 AM
ok well i checked everything and took it all back off and now if you put your hand over the exhaust it actually sucks in the exhaust.?????? its not the head gasket cuz its backfiring its butt off. But when you try to start it it turns over so fast and easy like its not going into the exhaust stroke. Man i dont know. I should have let it leak.

drew416ex
05-09-2009, 11:44 AM
Id also be willing to bet you need a valve adjustment. I know it doesnt make sense but thats probably it.

randallp1
05-09-2009, 11:49 AM
ok guys i dont want to sound like a moron but i am using a gasket maker stuff. Does that need to dry or am i blowing it out when i am trying to start it? Is the valve cover need to be like compression tested???

monkeyballs
05-09-2009, 12:13 PM
Ok for the last time, is it the head gasket or the valve cover gasket?!?!

-First things first, dont use gasket maker thats unbelievably cheep that stuf should only be used to hold "realy" gaskets in place. Buy yourself a realy gasket.
-Then if you read on the gasket maker contaner.. It should say give it 15 minuts to thicken then torque peices down.. And give it 1 hour more.
-Also, I do not recomend only using that gasket maker... I can just see little peices falling down cloging up stuf.. (from the inside excess material).
-Finally, you cant do a compression test.. Only type of compression thest thats possible to do for that would be a oil pressure test.. AKA crank casse pressure test. Pointless for you..
-Now buy yourself a gasket,
-fill the oil pockets in the head..
-Put the new gasket
-Put the head cover back on
-Torque the 8mm bolt (not the one with the 8mm HEAD size. And there is only one 8mm bolt) to the 17ft lb required, then torque all the other bolts to 7-8 ft/lb. Make sure you follow a patturn.
-Take off the valve adjustment caps, adjust the valves to the proper gap, .005'' for the exhaust and .004'' for the intake
-torque to specs..
-MAKE SURE ITS THE RIGHT CLEARANCE AFTER YOU TORQUED IT DOWN
-Put the valve covers back on... torque down un do every thing you did then your good to go.
-Start it up LISTEN carfuly.. Since your clearance might be to much.. All ex will tick a little but if its REALY loud... Re do...

I hope this helped. Any more questions feel free.. :P

droppedmazda
05-09-2009, 12:54 PM
i agree you do need to get a head gasket but your valves are to tight. the valves are not closing all the way and it dont have enough compression to start. thats also why its sucking through the exhaust. ajust the valves and it will start right up.

bbender85
05-09-2009, 05:07 PM
yeah, if you didnt put a gasket back i it and used gasket maker, your valves are waaaay too tight if you didnt adjust them; been there.

randallp1
05-09-2009, 11:14 PM
i didnt think that there was that much difference in size with gasket maker and a gasket. i really hope what it is.

monkeyballs
05-10-2009, 06:57 AM
If you did not adjust your valves the first time, and it was working befor all this.. I can gaurantee you that once you take it appart and re ajust them it will work.. As long as you did it right.

Thought one problem that might have occured.. You might have damaged your valves, and your piston.. You just foced your vales to open more then uhh, usual.. And it might have hit the piston. Thought I kinda doubte it. Your bike is all stock right?

randallp1
05-10-2009, 09:27 AM
not at all stock