PDA

View Full Version : How are the rear hubs holding up?

GE4x4
05-08-2009, 04:04 PM
For those who still have the stock rear hubs, how are they holding up? Any issues with them? I just bought a set for my Outlaw and want to know how good they are.

bferg911
05-08-2009, 11:01 PM
Ive got a ton of hours on mine and have had no problems. I have read a few threads about problems with them loosening up. I think it's just a matter of proper torque and loctite.

smileymtb
05-11-2009, 01:54 PM
Just torque 'em down good, use a bit of Loctite and you should have no problems. :)

flash
05-31-2009, 08:06 PM
4 xc races and the splines are toast on mine. Pretty crappy if you ask me.

KTM RIDAA
06-02-2009, 01:18 PM
yea i check the torque on my hubs before everyweekend i ride the book says 95 pd. torque. did that with loctite still no luck they keep coming loose. the only thing i found that helps this problem is putting electrical tape on the nut! holds my rear nut bolts for two days of hard riding. then they seem to come a lil loose instead of about 95pd they have about 92 or 93.

GE4x4
06-02-2009, 04:02 PM
So the rear axle on the KTM doesn't have a castle nut with cotter pin? I have the KTM hubs on my Outlaw with the castle nut and it isn't going nowhere. Can you drill a hole and put a castle nut on the KTM?

KTM RIDAA
06-03-2009, 11:28 AM
no they dont have a castle nut. And i guess u could try to drill a hole through the teflon lock nut but then u would have to drill the same size hole through the axle were thos threads are.

GE4x4
06-03-2009, 03:46 PM
Well if any of you KTM guys bend a axle, a stock Outlaw will fit and give you the castle nut so your hubs won't loose. There axle is chromoly.

Stryker1513
06-04-2009, 10:16 AM
GE, you sure a outlaw axle will fit? And are the bearring carriers the same on the KTM & the outlaw?

Im assubing if you go with the outlaw axle, you cant use the KTM hubs?

GE4x4
06-04-2009, 03:26 PM
I have a Outlaw and have KTM hubs on it. Sliped right on. I wanted metric studs as the lug nuts for the Hiper CRF1 that Hiper supplies work great. There Polaris lugs only were held on by 4 threads and I lost a wheel during a race. But what I found with the KTM hubs they were much lighter and seemed like a cast hub while the Outlaw seemed billet. The Outlaw hubs were also over $120 each while the KTM were only $35. So I was seeing if they were holding up. I was also told by Polaris racers a KTM axle will slide right on to a Outlaw axle. swing arm skid will also bolt on.

ScramblerXLE
06-05-2009, 11:22 AM
However, you lose the adjustable rear width as the Outlaws are not adjustable right? And I'm fairly certain that they would be about the equivilent of running the KTM axle adjusted to be wide. No good for me for XC races... If you bend an axle, KTM may cover it, contact their customer service line.

GE4x4
06-05-2009, 11:26 AM
I'm at 47" with KTM hubs in the rear. Isn't the narrowest you can get the KTM is 46"?

powertechn2
07-11-2009, 02:13 PM
if you dont actually remove the hubs often, and have air tools to do so, then try the bearing set loctite 680, its bearing set loctite, its much better hold than red, i put it on things that i do not want coming loose that are large enough to handle an impact for removal if necessary.
here is a link
http://www.hmcelectronics.com/cgi-bin/scripts/product/4675-0023/Loctite-68035/

i use it, it works to hold nuts, and if you have had the splines become worn, and you dont mind having to use heat if you ever have to remove the hubs, then spread a lil on the splines, it fills the gap and then locks it on, i have used to install bearings and pulles that have had set screws break off and it holds just like it had set screws.

and no, im not saying its right to install a pulley without a set screw, but if you have a commercial customer who's machine is broken, and their 10 year old backup machine that you cant get parts for just blew a spindle apart, you do what you can to get it to hold together.

JGlaze
08-03-2009, 08:18 PM
The aluminum hubs definately wear out after a while especially if you forget to tighten them every time you ride. Does anyone make steel hubs for it to fit the stock axle?

XtremeSkier
09-01-2009, 12:37 PM
my stock ones stripped out last year, i'm running rath hubs right now, they've been good so far

krt400ex
04-03-2010, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by GE4x4
I'm at 47" with KTM hubs in the rear. Isn't the narrowest you can get the KTM is 46"?

the spacers are each 1 inch. so its either 45 or 47. i got mine set to 47. i found i had too much traction with it narrower

KTM RIDAA
04-05-2010, 03:43 PM
black electrical tape works good. but you can tq em up to like 120 and that will be good help for a longer time also get new nuts will help if you took them off already. b/c then the teflon will be better on a new nut.