PDA

View Full Version : Replacing OEM clutch and brake perch?

WKY400EX
05-07-2009, 10:41 PM
I just installed some Powermadd handguards on my Pro Taper big bars today. I quickly realized that space is really tight on the bars, and that I need to get rid of some of the clutter. What is involved with replacing the clutch perch/lever, and brake perch/lever on the YFZ's? What should be done with the plugs going to the OEM clutch and brake? BTW, I want to keep my headlights, so I suppose I'll need to keep that control assembly. Anyone have any ideas?
:confused:

mxpimp2000
05-07-2009, 11:43 PM
hey man. on my bike i got rid of the stock clutch perch and lever and replaced it with a dirtbike style with out all the parking brake crap. the 2 wires coming from the stock one just un plug them down under the hood and you will have a male and female wire connector just plug them together and go with it. it lets u start ur bike in any gear and without having to hold the clutch in.

i kept my stock brake lever and perch. i just bought a 400ex throttle and not only was it smaller it isnt as stiff as the yfz throttle. the 2 wires coming out of the throttle just do the same with those 2 wires also but they do not have the connectors. you will have to wire them together. and the wires coming from the brake perch just un hook them and thats it you dont have to wire them together at all.

i also got rid of the stock starter switch that was a lot of extra room freed up on my bars. i use a dirtbike kill button for my start button. you can do that and keep your lights if u want to there is a write up i can get you the link if you want to get u a different switch and keep ur lights

hope this helps you out, and hope u like ur new bars

WKY400EX
05-08-2009, 07:45 AM
Hey man. I almost ordered a new clutch perch and lever last night, but decided to wait. And as far as the 400EX throttle assembly, I'll definitely check into that. Especially if it's going to be smaller.

I did a search and found a little info, but if you could find that write up, it'd be awesome.

BTW, the bars are great. They feel so much better than the stock bars. Thanks man.

mxpimp2000
05-08-2009, 12:44 PM
heres the how to link for that start button and tells u what i already told u on the wire with the clutch and stuff. this shows how to wire in the headlights also

http://yfz450.theatvchannel.com/inv...showtopic=64792

WKY400EX
05-08-2009, 05:39 PM
Thanks man! I'm going to have to check that out.

WKY400EX
05-08-2009, 06:31 PM
I tried using the link, but I guess the complete url is blocked? IDK. Would you mind PM'ing or emailing it to me?

mxpimp2000
05-08-2009, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by WKY400EX
I tried using the link, but I guess the complete url is blocked? IDK. Would you mind PM'ing or emailing it to me?

try this one it worked for me

http://yfz450.theatvchannel.com/invision/index.php?showtopic=64792