PDA

View Full Version : Help with sheared key

thebig450es
05-07-2009, 08:58 PM
I got my new sparks key for the one that sheared. I got the old one out of the key whole. Is there anything i should do to prep the key slot? How should the key fit, Flush? And i toqured it to 94 fl/lb last time but it sheared what can i do to stop that . Thanks

thebig450es
05-08-2009, 03:22 PM
Anyone have a detailed pic of how it should be?

Snipe
05-08-2009, 03:48 PM
http://www.atvriders.com/articles/timingkey400ex.html

BassHunter0123
05-08-2009, 05:17 PM
when i got my first key it sheared as soon as i started it. it happened because the key was too deep in the groove. some people will tell you this is impossible but i had just a fuzz sticking out of the shaft. if that wasnt it i didnt tighten the bolt enough. i got another one and i ran on it for a while and installed my 450 carb and it was out of tune and sheared again. so i put my stock one back in and got my carb tuned. so i just got another one and put it in and went on a 30 mile rough ride and everything seems fine for now. only thing i recommend is make sure the cutout on the key is flush with the shaft. also tighten the fluwheel bolt VERY right i recommend using a impact wrench.

thebig450es
05-08-2009, 07:15 PM
I used that artical and it still sheard.

So, it can be too deep, i used a tq wrench to 94ft/lbs. I slid the flywheel on and could tell there was a slot, should i turn it left also.