PDA

View Full Version : mugen cylinder??

voodoochassis
05-07-2009, 08:40 PM
anyone got any info on these cylinders?my buddy just bought a quad and it has one on there pretty sweet jdm set up...we searched forum but not much luck on info..who made them and anybody running one?

danhung11
05-07-2009, 08:54 PM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?postid=3149902

It's a Japanese company who's focus was highend performance parts for Japanese manufactured machines, just google them. I want to think their engineers are associated with Honda. The English version of their website is under construction so you may want to use Google Translate to get the information to convert.

I did not see any TRX250R information, however it is best to email if you want an answer. I do not believe a distributor was ever located in US, however not positive. My parents use to have this employee who was from Macau, he who was into Mugen performance parts for imports. Look in some import car magazines and see if you can find a contact.

Good luck!
Dan

Honda 250r 001
05-07-2009, 08:58 PM
DO NOT RUN THAT CYLINDER. PULL IT OFF AND PUT IT IN A SAFETY DEPOSIT BOX!!!! those things are priceless. i have seen some go for a lot of money! PLEASE do not ruin it by seizing the piston or somehting.

voodoochassis
05-07-2009, 09:23 PM
but that cylinder looks nothing like the one on his quad..nice find though i already want it..i will post pics of the cylinder on his quad..

deathman53
05-08-2009, 10:36 AM
back in 85-89 those things were very rare. Racers had to wait on a long line to get one. Is it the cr or trx version? The cr version is hard to tell apart from the trx from the outside, if you look inside its very easy to tell. Both versions are very rare. The cr version will work, powervavles need to be blocked off.

voodoochassis
05-08-2009, 02:34 PM
this is the trx version with no powervalve..ill try to get pics this weekend..

woodsracer144
05-10-2009, 11:55 AM
do they make them anymore?

Honda 250r 001
05-10-2009, 12:28 PM
lol. no. they do not make them anymore.

MAN WHERES THE PICS AT?!

C-LEIGH RACING
05-11-2009, 07:18 AM
Those old Mugen cylinders were the hot ticket along the time they first came out.
Were quite a bit of improvement over a stock Honda cylinders as well.
But, they are like anything else in the world, somebody get some money to do something with & a better mouse trap is made.

Once he gets the pic up, check out how close the Pro-x cylinders look to being like the Mugen.

I'm kinda like Honda 250r 001 though, beleave I would put it up somewhere & only bring it out on special events to display.
Neil

dunatic
05-11-2009, 07:34 AM
most of those cylinders were mated on and used for go-kart racing.

very rare.

Dan Wade at Patriot Racing in the Seattle area has had some experience with them.

86 Quad R
05-11-2009, 12:08 PM
hey voodoo, where's em pics at mayun?

Pat Lopez
05-13-2009, 06:02 PM
Mugen, was a company started by the owner's son of Honda back in the late 70's, early 80"s. He wanted to get into the motocross racing back then because the Hondas were getting their butts kicked. Yamaha was supreme in motocross back then. Remember "Hurricane" Hannah? Anyway, he started in the 125 class mostly with his R & D. Then progressed to the 250's. For the 125's, he marketed a complete top end kit. I'll look and see if i have any old Motorcross magazines that have an article on it. That's how I know a little about Mugen. If you have any of Mugen's parts, from what I read, that stuff is priceless!

voodoochassis
05-13-2009, 09:15 PM
i didn't get a chance yet but will asap..soon as i see him have been busy past couple of days..