PDA

View Full Version : 2002 Sportsman 500 charging problem

RacinMason_690
05-07-2009, 07:05 PM
So I have a 2002 Sportsman 500 that I recently purchased and it has a problem with the charging system. Apparently the previous owner attempted to jump start it one time and had the leads crossed and said that he saw smoke coming from something around the battery area... And I have no idea where to start with this thing. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mason

Wildhorse800
05-13-2009, 10:18 PM
Thats a pretty tall order!

Battery could be shorted out. Check any fuses. You may have to start tracing wires also.

Electrical can be rough, which is why I avoid it like the plague!

Just take your time and look for any wire insulation that is discolored or deformed.

Trainfixer76
05-19-2009, 08:34 AM
well I do know one thing if you have a bad battery your charging system will not work. I also have a 2002 sportsman and had a similar issue. I could pull start it but the speedo,lights and rad fan would not come on. the bar in the battery complet the charging circuit so the first thing i would od is head to wal mart and buy a new battery for 45 bucks. dealers want 70 to 80 here and the everstart from walmart comes partialy charged!!!

let me know what you find.

Jerry

scdirtdobber
06-21-2009, 09:48 PM
Hi,as mentioned check your fuses,they will be inside the headlight pod inside the black bags,it's best to probe them with a test light before breaking the seal.It is possible the voltage regulator got damaged,it is behind the front bumper near the radiator