PDA

View Full Version : new project???

ryansblaster
05-07-2009, 06:36 PM
Today I found a 1985 k10 4wd for $400 in town with 80,000 miles on its engine. it doesnt run and needs the timing adjusted and a distibuter. Im 16 and just got a job and I thought this would be a fun project. What do you guys think?
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w307/blasterboy92/k10.jpg
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w307/blasterboy92/k102.jpg

feuerstack411
05-07-2009, 06:37 PM
if you can get it running you cant go wrong for $400

416exfreak
05-07-2009, 06:41 PM
16, just got a job..

I wouldnt get it.

It needs a distributor and a timing adjustment to make it run, but thats not saying it will run RIGHT.

And just judging from the cab, its going to need more than a distributor.

If your just going to use this as a truck to go beat around the woods in, then go for it..

But if you wanna fix it up and make a DD out of it, save your money and find something that doesnt need so much work..

Try and find a late 80's or early 90's ranger or S10, and swap in a small block!:devil:

ryansblaster
05-07-2009, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by 416exfreak
16, just got a job..

I wouldnt get it.

It needs a distributor and a timing adjustment to make it run, but thats not saying it will run RIGHT.

And just judging from the cab, its going to need more than a distributor.

If your just going to use this as a truck to go beat around the woods in, then go for it..

But if you wanna fix it up and make a DD out of it, save your money and find something that doesnt need so much work..

Try and find a late 80's or early 90's ranger or S10, and swap in a small block!:devil:

This wouldnt be a DD for awhile it would be a summer project then maybe a DD if it runs right if not Ill take it into shop class next year and mess with it. I could always use it as a mudder

416exfreak
05-07-2009, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by ryansblaster
This wouldnt be a DD for awhile it would be a summer project then maybe a DD if it runs right if not Ill take it into shop class next year and mess with it. I could always use it as a mudder

As long as your going to try and make it a DD right from the beggining, go for it man!

Get her diveable, then take it to shop class and work on the body damage, maybe even paint her if your school has the supplies.

I wish my school had autoshop.. instead we have carpentry and have to build low income housing for the illegals..

:mad:

ryansblaster
05-07-2009, 08:03 PM
ya we can do engine and body repairs as long as we pay for the parts/paint

shane071489
05-07-2009, 08:20 PM
you can make it look like mine i love it ha sitting in the garage waiting to get the tranny bolted up
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll127/shane071489/mudtruck.jpg

ryansblaster
05-08-2009, 02:11 PM
that looks awesome! :cool:

scuzz
05-08-2009, 02:20 PM
That is a great 1st vehicle. It will teach you everything you need to know about cars. (No, that wasn't sarcastic, I really do think it's the best thing 4u.)

blacknblue#2
05-09-2009, 08:12 AM
Awesome first truck. My first truck was a 79 ford with a 351 automatic when i got it. Little paint, aluminum wheels, 460 and a 4 speed later i loved it. then i sold it....................Man i miss it :(

cdrookie
05-09-2009, 09:33 AM
pass on it. i bet the cab mounts are shot and it needs the "timing adjusted and a distributer". if thats what they're saying it needs more than that. they should've said it needs a distributer. you can't adj the timing then put in a dist. and gm HEI's are pretty reliable so what makes that one bad? if you're dead set on it go make sure the spark plug wires are wired correctly and it's in time before you give them cash. if you can get it running you can see if it has oil pressure or a rod knock. rule of thumb is that if it looks that beat on the outside they didn't take very good care of it on the inside.

ryansblaster
05-09-2009, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by cdrookie
pass on it. i bet the cab mounts are shot and it needs the "timing adjusted and a distributer". if thats what they're saying it needs more than that. they should've said it needs a distributer. you can't adj the timing then put in a dist. and gm HEI's are pretty reliable so what makes that one bad? if you're dead set on it go make sure the spark plug wires are wired correctly and it's in time before you give them cash. if you can get it running you can see if it has oil pressure or a rod knock. rule of thumb is that if it looks that beat on the outside they didn't take very good care of it on the inside.

he said his friend took it off for another project. and I didn't think it was that bad for a 24 year old truck

gncc025
05-09-2009, 10:46 AM
i say give it some more time. IMHO i think you will come across something better. $400 is cheap but if that kind of money is hard for you to come by, i would save it for something better

Caseys 300ex
05-09-2009, 11:11 AM
Ok so last November I saw an old ford f150 sitten beside a barn. I went up to the owner and asked him if he would sell it and he told me $300. It didnt run and the body was in pretty bad shape, along with the interior. He had no idea what was wrong with it and neither did I. To make a long story short, i bought it. Spent about $400 dollars on it by buying, a relay, brush guard, 6in lift, baja lights and a battery. Now i have a freakin sweet weekend vehicle that cost $700. So go for it man, i know im glad i did.