PDA

View Full Version : oil strainer

rob_990
05-07-2009, 02:59 PM
is the oil strainrer supposed to come off that piece its attatched to so you can clean it or do you just have clean it with it on?

honda400ex2003
05-08-2009, 12:12 AM
can i get a little bit better description of this beast for clarification. thanks bro, steve

sandalanalyst
05-08-2009, 12:47 AM
if your talking about the screen thats located under the clutch.. inside the motor, its a little rectangular screen maybe brass? removed by 1-10mm bolt? when you take that out, the platic frame of it does not come off, just clean it good, with some carb cleaner or similar product, or blow it off with some air, look into where it goes to make sure there is no pieces of aluminum or any other debris left from previous motor work, if there is, clean it out, dont blow in there, you'd blow it back into the motor, i just stuck my finger in there, look in there with a good flashlight...make sure its all clean and reinstal it all, not sure of the tourque spec on that bolt, but youd find that in the articles section of this site... hope that helps

NacsMXer
05-08-2009, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by sandalanalyst
if your talking about the screen thats located under the clutch.. inside the motor, its a little rectangular screen maybe brass? removed by 1-10mm bolt? when you take that out, the platic frame of it does not come off, just clean it good, with some carb cleaner or similar product, or blow it off with some air, look into where it goes to make sure there is no pieces of aluminum or any other debris left from previous motor work, if there is, clean it out, dont blow in there, you'd blow it back into the motor, i just stuck my finger in there, look in there with a good flashlight...make sure its all clean and reinstal it all, not sure of the tourque spec on that bolt, but youd find that in the articles section of this site... hope that helps

There is that one inside the clutch cover, I call it the "oil screen". I wouldn't bother getting at that one until you are doing your clutch. But there is also a "oil strainer" that rob_990 might be referring to.

Before starting this procedure be sure to drain the oil!

At the very bottom of the oil tank, facing the front of the motor, you will see a chrome-looking flare nut and oil line attached to the tank. The oil line is the one coming out of the side of the clutch cover, you'll see it. Loosen the flare nut and remove the oil line from the bottom of the tank. Once that is removed, you will see the oil strainer piece that is threaded into the tank. Remove the oil strainer from the tank and clean any debris with carb cleaner/brake cleaner. Blow dry with compressed air and reinstall into the tank. Hook the oil line back up and you're all done :)

honda400ex2003
05-08-2009, 11:02 AM
Covered them all now! Thanks for the info guys. I was unsure which to tell him about. steve