PDA

View Full Version : 86/87-88/89 frame differences

BULLET99Z28
05-07-2009, 02:06 PM
Well, after alot of searching, and reading the wiki article(linked from this forum) about the diferrences on the models, I still have a few questions about the frames, so please be gentle, lol.

I know the swinger is shorter/aluminum on the 88/89's, but what are main differences in the frame? The wiki article stated the the later model frames are lighter and slightly longer. Also the rear swinger bolt setup is slightly different, is this info correct?

I'm asking because I am trying to find a frame for a build from scratch, and wan the better of the 2 designs. Thanks for any info guys, I'll keep ya'll updated as I progress.

Honda 250r 001
05-07-2009, 02:09 PM
88-89 frame is best, but the pegs were differnt on the two frames, i believe that the 86-87 is better but the 88-89s work super too.

250Renvy
05-07-2009, 03:18 PM
There is lots of info on here as it's one of the most asked questions.

88/89 are virtually the same. They are the better year to do a build from scratch with - not because they are better but because most aftermarket parts and stock parts are available for them.

It all depends what you can get a hold of 86's are the most available, 88's second, then 87 and least available are 89's.

I'd recommend buying a complete machine if you want to do a build and rebuild it. It will cost a TON more to build from scratch and take 2-5x as long. It is always good to reference a complete machine so you know how everything goes together.

BULLET99Z28
05-07-2009, 03:31 PM
Well, I'm in no hurry to get it done, Plus I am gonna run aftermarket arms, stem, plastics,bars, etc. I'm just tryin to find a frame, and little pieces like the harness, brackets,clamps, etc. Gonna powdercoat/polish everything, so a complete machine really isnt that important unless I can find one for around 1,000

deathman53
05-07-2009, 06:29 PM
you can buy a complete machine for ~2g's, thats with a running motor. A roller minus motor, ~$600. When you are done using the parts from the roller for your build, sell the rest of it and depending on the condition of the frame and parts not used you might get half your money back. If its a 86 or 87 roller you buy, you won't want to use the swingarm(but, can) and can't use the footpegs. I built a 88 frame from using mostly 86 parts, it was nearly complete except for motor, carb, rear end parts and nerf bars. The missing parts, except nerfs got used on my atc. I later sold the trx roller, from lack of interest. If you buy a frame, this, that, these and such, it will kill you in cost for the small stuff. When I built the 88 I have now, I bought alot of the parts new and used, it cost me at ton!!!!!!!!!

BULLET99Z28
05-07-2009, 10:24 PM
Deathman- I'd love to find a roller, but I've been looking all over this site, ebay, craigslist. Plus, I figure I'm gonna need to replace the carrier,wheel bearinsg/seals,brake pads,etc, so why not use newer or new parts?I'd be willing to drive 5-6 hrs in any direction, but I cant find one, prefer an 88/89 due to the lighter chassis. If anyone knows of a frame I can snag, please let me know. I may use some 400ex parts-hubs,rotors,brakes since that stuff seems to be cheaper, even tho the 250r brakes are better, correct?

01shee
05-07-2009, 10:49 PM
I started to build mine from a frame. Started collecting parts the gave up and bought a running bike. striped it to the frame and built it the way i wanted. There is so much stupid things that add up that you don't think about. Once your done building sell the things you didn't use.