PDA

View Full Version : Removing Coolant From Crankcase?

Ruf Racing
05-07-2009, 01:35 PM
If I'm only replacing the head gasket, leaving the cylinder bolted. If I place the piston at the bottom of the stroke and even remove the pipe from the head. Turn the bike on it's nose and even
upside down. Would that remove the coolant? Thanks.

KP250R
05-07-2009, 03:25 PM
Do you KNOW you have coolant in the case?
Cause if you open your radiator cap, and remove the plug from the water pump you should theoretically be able to drop the jug coolant level below the head....unless I am missing something.

Ruf Racing
05-07-2009, 07:29 PM
I didn't explain well enough. I blew the head gasket. Coolant
went in the cylinder and leaked into the exhaust pipe. I was
just thinking, if the coolant was in the cylinder, is it possible
it got through the intake ports and could drain into the crankcase?
Just a theory.

kiesta00
05-08-2009, 08:16 AM
It's very possible, that happened to my bike when I blew the headgasket. Don't risk it, just take the cylinder off and spray the crap out of WD40 down in there to coat everything with some type of lubricant. Then take an air compressor and blow out the cases with the bike on its side...SHOULD be ok as long as you didn't let the motor sit there too long after blowing the gasket.

Ruf Racing
05-08-2009, 10:17 AM
Thanks, I'm going to check into it a little deeper.

Beaudacious
07-05-2009, 07:17 AM
put the cylinder back on but leave the head off have some one hold down on the jug while you actuate the kick starter the piston will push whatever is in the bottom end to on top of the piston, wipe it off coat it with oil assemble the rest of the engine and drive the hell out of it