PDA

View Full Version : Cash For Clunkers Is Near

ATVsToday.net
05-06-2009, 11:28 PM
Next , they will control the thermostat in your home, your lawn mower, your BBQ grill. When will it stop ?
Call your Congressman or woman at 866-220-0044.

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/06/congress-close-on-cash-for-clunkers/?hp

honduh440
05-06-2009, 11:40 PM
what are you talking about nobody is forcing anyone to do anything its simply a incentive to get a vehicle that is better for pollution and the planet ......

C41Xracer
05-07-2009, 03:56 AM
Originally posted by honduh440
what are you talking about nobody is forcing anyone to do anything its simply a incentive to get a vehicle that is better for pollution and the planet ......

I AGREE IT JUST A WAY TO GET CARS AND TRUCKS THAT POLUTE OFF THE ROAD

Quad18star
05-07-2009, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by ATVsToday.net
Next , they will control the thermostat in your home, your lawn mower, your BBQ grill. When will it stop ?
Call your Congressman or woman at 866-220-0044.

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/06/congress-close-on-cash-for-clunkers/?hp

I'd like to know what is wrong with this from your point of view? I agree with most of what you post, but this I think you're wrong on.

The government will give you some money if you trade in your old beat up car for one that gets better fuel mileage ... up to $4500 if you buy a car that gets 10 mpg more than your junker. So why is this a bad thing? :huh

honda350r
05-07-2009, 08:45 AM
I like to breath clean air! If we humans can make the air we breath cleaner, I am all for it !

extremeblastr
05-07-2009, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Quad18star
I'd like to know what is wrong with this from your point of view? I agree with most of what you post, but this I think you're wrong on.

The government will give you some money if you trade in your old beat up car for one that gets better fuel mileage ... up to $4500 if you buy a car that gets 10 mpg more than your junker. So why is this a bad thing? :huh

because it will take a lot of cheap transportation off the road, so those who are in the hole big time and needed a cheap ride to be able to get back and forth to work will now have nothing.....

scuzz
05-07-2009, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by extremeblastr
because it will take a lot of cheap transportation off the road, so those who are in the hole big time and needed a cheap ride to be able to get back and forth to work will now have nothing.....

No. They aren't forced to sell. But rather have the option to.

Quad18star
05-07-2009, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by extremeblastr

From what I gather, it's an option for people who want to go ahead and buy a new car .... an incentive you may call it ... get a better fuel mileage car than what you presently have and they'll give you money for it. Doesn't seem like they are forcing people to get rid of what they have right now.

We have the same kind of program up here. The government kicks in like $3000 if you decide to get rid of your gas guzzler and buy more fuel efficient but you're not forced to do so.

Ralph
05-07-2009, 09:37 AM

not to mention the boost the economy would see from all these new cars being sold.

Quad18star
05-07-2009, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Ralph
not to mention the boost the economy would see from all these new cars being sold.

They forgot to mention that GM is getting all the scrap cars and putting their new model emblems on them and turning them over for $15 000. :p

scuzz
05-07-2009, 09:47 AM
Texas does this as well already.

honduh440
05-07-2009, 10:00 AM
techinicaly a motorcycle is a vehicle i wonder if i could buy a pos and trade it in to get a new bike :D

ATVsToday.net
05-07-2009, 10:05 AM
It's a trick. When did a law ever stay in it's original form? why can't they go to natural gas ? because most of it is in wilderness areas and they can't drill. The hole thing is a hoax, it just more control over the lives a free??? people. It's not about saving the planet, it's about enslaving you and me. I own a 1979 Jeep Wagoneer. I only use it for off roading or hauling. My daily driver is 4 cyl that get 20-25 mpg in town. If they get there way they will crush my Jeep. It doesn't stop with old vehicles. There is a movement to remove all SUVs and pickup trucks. Check out this link for more info.
http://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2009/14/sema-urges-president-obama-oppose-vehicle-scrappage-programs?fc_c=1259874x2850595x55837773

Ralph
05-07-2009, 10:30 AM
Not everything is a move to end your way of life. Lots of countries are doing/considering this and i believe cali and texas are already doing it.

Its even only supposed to run for 1 year. This kind of sensationalism is exactly the problem with this country.

If both sides just sat down and took a rational look at things there wouldn't be a problem. These kind of "alerts" really do nothing but muddy up the waters.

I enjoy older vehicles too, but on the road i get 29 mpg at 70mph :)

The article you sent actually raises some points on why the move could be bad towards repair shops etc. These are valid arguments. However if people use their credit towards GM or Ford products the repair shops will be just fine. :blah:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3653/3418823449_1894c71020_o.jpg

Ralph
05-07-2009, 10:32 AM
more of the clunkers which aren't going anywhere but through the trails.

scuzz
05-07-2009, 11:04 AM
It's not mandatory and participation is voluntary. They aren't taking your 1979 scotsdale from you.

mittman
05-07-2009, 11:28 AM
Why give up my clunker with 168,000miles it still gets 20mpg. Its no longer legal for the road but still gets good mpg for the trails and we drive it with the skinny pedal to the floor.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll267/dodgediesellover/nissan-1.jpg

extremeblastr
05-07-2009, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by scuzz
No. They aren't forced to sell. But rather have the option to.

my point being why would these people who would have been selling their vehicles for cheap to someone who couldn't afford anything else are now gonna look into this long before they go to a private sale so whether people want to believe it or not in the end this will hurt more then it will help. car craft magazine had a really good article on the possible effects of this a few issues back, i'll have to see if i can hunt it down.

ProspectorJim
05-07-2009, 01:07 PM
why is the government handing out more money when Obama is projected to quadruple the deficit? You'd think they would want to save as much money as they could.

Pappy
05-07-2009, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by ProspectorJim
why is the government handing out more money when Obama is projected to quadruple the deficit? You'd think they would want to save as much money as they could.

They like spending YOUR money, it isn't theirs:p

Quad18star
05-07-2009, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by ProspectorJim

They get the money back when you buy a new vehicle and pay taxes on it .

IMO it's a good way to get people spending again , putting money back into the economy, putting food on peoples tables and helping out the environment a bit.

I had a home retrofit assessement done on my house. Our Canadian governments will kick in up to $10 000 if you make your home more energy efficient. I have to meet certain effeciency targets in order to get the full amounts back ... and I know I won't get it ALL back, but atleast it's an incentive for me to spend a little. I'll save money on my energy bills, I'll be spending the money locally which helps out the economy and I'll get a few bucks back from the government for doing so.

BLU82
05-07-2009, 03:17 PM
Step 1. Buy an old junker for $300-500
Step 2. Turn it in and get $4,500
Step 3. Buy another car for $4,500
Step 4. Sell that car and bank $4200
Step 5. Repeat:D

protraxrptr17
05-08-2009, 11:29 AM
Won't hurt my shop. I don't like working on vehicles worth less than $4500 anyway. Like Quad18star said, they get alot back with sales tax, demand for new cars goes up, people go back to work, dealerships make money helping local people who work there, I still can't see any downside to this.

Some people are just going to hate anything that happens during this administation. He will catch the blame for anything bad that happens, long after he is out of office.

<DRS>GPF
05-08-2009, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by protraxrptr17
Some people are just going to hate anything that happens during this administation. = nail on the head..

Pappy
05-08-2009, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by <DRS>GPF
= nail on the head..

Programs such as this have been in place for a long time, it doesnt come down to blaming any one administration. Some folks dont like it, others do:p

spdygonzalez450
05-08-2009, 05:53 PM
i live in CA, and we have been doing this for some time, it was suspended during the whole budget debacle, but it is back and going. There are a lot of qualifications that you have to met before you can turn your clunker into a new car. Its an attempt to get new cars on the road, and try to spur some economic activity. First and foremost the car really has to be in bad shape, like wont pass smog and will cost more than the price of what the car is worth and just is not safe driving ect ect. So what the state does is buy it from you, and they will recycle it and encourage you to buy a newer car. It pretty much should be used as a last resort when your car is just not worth anything. While I am not a huge fan of it, it does sometime prove to be useful.

ooo and they dont always give you the max for the car, yes you may be able to get 4500 for the car or whatever it is, i am sure not very offten do they give that much. think of it like a dealer, the offer you like 2000 grand for a car thats worth 5000 if you sell it privatly but for that 2000 they take it off you hands and you drive off with a new car.

416exfreak
05-09-2009, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
They like spending YOUR money, it isn't theirs:p

And YOURS.

Not mine as of yet, they still have to wait another year and a half before they get any of mine:devil:

Old Head
05-09-2009, 03:03 PM
They get the money back when you buy a new vehicle and pay taxes on it .

IMO it's a good way to get people spending again , putting money back into the economy, putting food on peoples tables and helping out the environment a bit.

I had a home retrofit assessement done on my house. Our Canadian governments will kick in up to $10 000 if you make your home more energy efficient. I have to meet certain effeciency targets in order to get the full amounts back ... and I know I won't get it ALL back, but atleast it's an incentive for me to spend a little. I'll save money on my energy bills, I'll be spending the money locally which helps out the economy and I'll get a few bucks back from the government for doing so.

I'll tell you what woulda put money back into the economy. They shoulda handed out that bailout money to the people instead of feeding it to all the swine in the bill. I guess thats why the swine flue is running ramped now:ermm: