PDA

View Full Version : sparks key and hotcam

Snipe
05-06-2009, 10:20 PM
Alright so I dont have either on my quad. I just installed a 15T front sprocket today it actually didnt affect my bottom end if any at all but made my gears ride out longer like I wanted.

I am wanting to know what exactly the feel I will get with these installed. I have heard the sparks key is a great install and I believe this I am just wondering is it gonna be all low end power or all through the range, what kinda HP ratings we talkin like 1 or 4 or 5. Will it climb the gears faster or ride them longer. Basicly what changed from when you climbed on stock to having the timing key installed how it felt different what did it do.

Same for the cam im thinking stage 1 I am a trail or XC guy thats all I ride thats what I love, hell I even give the 4x4 a run for there money as long as the water isnt to deep. Im afraid a stage 2 will be the exact opposite as to what I want in the woods.

If anyone has ever rode both stage 1 and stage 2 can you tell a difference (better or worse?) how did the feel was it all low end mid or top end?

Im wanting that low end grab but I want to increase a top end speed, I mean come on whats the point of having your bike get the whole shot to flip over backwords lmao. Im wanting to go faster but keep the low end tourq the 400ex is known and loved for.

So please any info on these at all is really appreciated.

Pipeless416
05-06-2009, 11:36 PM
i have a stage 2, but its almost a bit much for stock compression. it has absolute stump pulling power.. i didn't notice any loss in bottom end, and there was a very nice increase in mid.

Honda#4
05-07-2009, 08:29 AM
I agree with Pipeless and i'll add that theres enough topend on the stg 2 but the midrange is absolutly killer on it.

Snipe
05-07-2009, 08:58 AM
So basicly the stage 2 is making the mid range pull like the bottom end is what your saying?

Jessem24
05-07-2009, 09:37 AM
im interested in this subject too. hotcams web sitesays that both stage 1 and 2 can be used in a stock motor but stage one is recomended for xc and it give s an overall increase but its mostly in the low to mid, where as stage 2 has its main gain in mid to top but does have a bottom end grunt. id go stage 2, because if you mod your motor, the cam will come in as you mod it. stage 1 would be a waste if you modded it in the future.

Jessem24
05-07-2009, 09:38 AM
oh and snipe. i too just installed a 15t and love it. i ditched the stock 14t.

81 clark racing
05-07-2009, 10:31 AM
i run stage 2 in both my exs with a the timing key and love it

Snipe
05-07-2009, 10:48 AM
15T sprocket really gave it that umph is second gear I was looking for.

The stage 2 cam I have riddin on a 450R to me it made it seem like it climbed the gears faster def had more pull in it. Since its so new I dont think I will bore it for years to come.

The sparks key dose anyone have a dyno readout before and after or any paperwork on what its suppose to do other than advance the timing 6*?

But how did the the came make it ride? did it seem to get to top end more quickly or did it just increase the top end?

05-07-2009, 10:56 AM
You only go as fast as your rev limiter and gearing will go. Performance mods just help you get there faster. Once you start modding and get a better flowing and faster reving motor setup its easy to tag the rev limiter and pull right up in 5th gear. Stock 5th gear was forever long to hit the rev limiter. Few mods later its there no problem.

Snipe
05-07-2009, 01:02 PM
Yeah I know that but you can just feel the bike when your riding.

It either makes it feel like its getting there really fast or makes it seem longer.

I wish there was a couple 400exs around here with the dif mods so I could test ride them lmao.

05-07-2009, 01:32 PM
About the Sparks key. I installed it by itself. No other mods, and exhaust and filter were already on for a while. For power difference, I couldn't tell you how much horsepower, but it's definitely noticable. The top end power was increased and just made it feel "snappier" where as stock without the key felt a little lazier. The mid-range is probably the biggest difference. You can keep it in mid-range and haul around with ease, lot's of torque.

Bottom end felt the same to me, no real difference.

I also noticed, before when I used to drag race the front would stay planted when I slammed it in 1st. Now when I go to drag race people, or line up in a friendly mx race, the front constantly floats up on me when I go to take off. It makes me get a bad start, but I just need to lean foward more these days lol.

For the cam, I don't recomend a cam with stock compression, unless you're just swapping out for an xr400 cam/head gasket. The cam's increase the duration the valves stay open reducing compression, and possibly bottom end. The xr400 cam is slightly more aggressive and the xr headgasket is slightly thinner.

I would say stage one for stock compression.

Have fun dude. I love working on things and modding them:cool:

Snipe
05-07-2009, 03:28 PM
lmao I know what ya mean.

That is pretty much what im thinking as well is the stage 1 as since my bike is not even a year old yet I am not boring till I have to.

But this really helps. Anyone have any posts like above but with just a stage 1 hotcam install?

honda400-4-ever
05-07-2009, 07:38 PM
should you put a different kind of spark plug when installing the key??