PDA

View Full Version : Essential GNCC/Hare Scramble mods

BD444
05-06-2009, 06:04 PM
What would u guys suggest for gncc racing. Assume i am starting from scratch. (I'm not). I just want the essentials but any recommendations are welcome.
What size tires?
What gearing w/ those tires?

zwark
05-06-2009, 06:24 PM
22 inch tires would give you some of the needed clearance. i suggest running a smaller front sprocket, or a larger rear.

suspension is what really counts.

racerdan24
05-06-2009, 06:51 PM
22's
Smaller front sprocket
450R Shocks or something comparible
and lots of practice!
Good Luck in the race(s)

Johnny Minehan
05-06-2009, 07:09 PM
22'' Tires with 14/39 gearing works great. Essential mods, in my opinion would consist of Skid plates [of course], shocks or rebuilds, stabalizer, flexx bars, big footpegs, big bumper, gripper seat cover, and good handguards.

TripleR400
05-06-2009, 07:39 PM
depends on what your willing to spend. Def skids and 6 ply tires. i havent had a set but the guys i know that have GBC X-Rexs love them. They are just like razr 2 but cheaper. Then you may go with suspension. If your just begginning racing you want to focus on finishing rather than winning. then when you get the hang of things focus on the winning more

BD444
05-06-2009, 08:04 PM
I currently have a 2000 400ex, 6 ply holeshot XCR's all around, AC Pro Peg Nerfs, dg bumber, PRM skids on the way, tether killswitch.
I also have a WB eseries pipe but the stocker seems better, a Kand N filter (I am a UNI man), and elka shocks that were used by a man weighing 255 (I weigh 165).
What do you guys recommend I do next.
Would revalving the elkas and the rear be good for my suspension and what is the approximate cost on that? (GT thunder)
Should I have the motor checked out by a professional and what should i have done?
What pipes do you guys reccomend...I hear great things about HMF.
s far as my racing experince goes.....zero in quads 11 years in bikes.

racerdan24
05-07-2009, 07:50 AM
Just remember...slow and steady wins the race ( sometimes ) as the other guy said....sometimes winning is actually finishing the race....

My setup for Unadilla-

-Kenda klaw Sticky Lite's front
-ITP Holeshot HD rear
-450R shocks front
-skid plates,a arm guards,you know the drill
-kill switch...probably mandatory at every race track but a good investment nonetheless
-Renthal twinwall bars
-Renthal chain and sprockets ( 13 front/39 rear )
-pro circuit t-4 exhaust
-nerfs obviously
that is just the stuff off the top of my head that i have done for about 4 races i will be able to do this year.....

coryatver
05-07-2009, 08:09 AM
I can't believe everyone is recommending 22 inch tires lol. No one runs 22 inch tires 20 inch tires are the standard and handle so much better.

400ex must have mods for xc racing I would say is Rear gt thunder linkage and rear shock rebuild. The linkage is a MUST it makes it handle So much better! Also front shocks either 450r gt thunder rebuilds or HLS shocks. Also skid plates, and 6 ply tires and a kill switch and your ready to go.

Snipe
05-07-2009, 09:06 AM
I agree I wouldnt go up in tire size going up will kill the bottom end and your hole shot just get a better 20" tire that is a true 20" tire. Ohtsu that comes stock when a tape measure is held next to it is only a 18".

Stick with 20" tires Make sure there 6 ply in the rear and at least 4ply in the front.

I actually went up to a 15T front sprocket instead of down 1

Nerf bars are a must along with full skid plate if money is tight then you HAVE to have a rear skid at least or you wont make it far at all. But full skid is best as XC or GNCC racing is rough and you wanna save that frame from rust and just all aorund damage.

Hand guards you wont regret this limbs and such (knuckle busters) get old really fast.

Kill switch is almost always a Must have by the track owner.

Bumper DG and Pro Armor make nice GNCC or XC style bumpers

That is just essentials. If you get into the Actual GNCC you would want to upgrade ALOT more thoughs guys dont jerk around with what they put in there bikes.

TripleR400
05-07-2009, 02:55 PM
[/QUOTE] I currently have a 2000 400ex, 6 ply holeshot XCR's all around, AC Pro Peg Nerfs, dg bumber, PRM skids on the way, tether killswitch.
I also have a WB eseries pipe but the stocker seems better, a Kand N filter (I am a UNI man), and elka shocks that were used by a man weighing 255 (I weigh 165).
What do you guys recommend I do next.
Would revalving the elkas and the rear be good for my suspension and what is the approximate cost on that? (GT thunder)
Should I have the motor checked out by a professional and what should i have done?
What pipes do you guys reccomend...I hear great things about HMF.
s far as my racing experince goes.....zero in quads 11 years in bikes.[QUOTE]

If you already have a pipe just stick with that. WB are pretty good pipes. Definatley send the elkas to GTT and have them work their magic and get rear end done as well.Dont Know how much the elka revalves would be but i think the rear setup is around 350. i love my GTT setup. Buy yourself a manual (good investment).

BD444
05-07-2009, 02:56 PM
thanks for everyone's help so far. I have the essentials pretty much with the exceptions of a-arms skids. I am not trying to be a pro racer or nothing, just looking for something to play around with this year. I loved racing bikes....but quads are a new challenge for me.