PDA

View Full Version : 250r Harness Questions

BULLET99Z28
05-06-2009, 01:49 PM
Hey guys- here's the deal, I'm starting a project R' from the ground up, so I'm starting to round up misc. parts. My question for now is about the harness. I found one for an 86 that looks like its in great shape, however it says that 86's don't have a ignition key. Would this harness work for a TRX/ATC motor? Do I just need the handlebar on/off/light switch assembly? If so, to start the bike, all i need is to leave the handlebar switch in the "run" position, correct? What years for the "handlebar" switch assembly, will 85/86 ATC units plug in and run the ignition and lights? Thanks for the help, I'm sure I'll be posting more as I get more into the build.

PS- sold the 40oex, always wanted an R', so I'm gonna build one, starting with a 88/89 frame.

Honda 250r 001
05-06-2009, 01:59 PM
the 86's do NOT have key, you are correct, and yes all you will need is a on off switch.

deathman53
05-06-2009, 03:10 PM
85/86 atc's had the light plug in the main harness and it had a connector that the switch plugs into, kinda like adding a pre-wired switch that just plugs in. The 86-89 trx250r had a plug in the main harness that had a hot, ground, ignition hot, wire to the tail light and some other wire. With the trx switch, its different than the atc as the light plug is on the switch itself, there is a small harness that comes off the switch with the low/high/ground on the light pigtail. On the atc, the light pigtail is on the main harness and you plug the switch in to main harness. As far as connectors to the motor, as long you aren't gonna use a 89 stator, you are safe. 89 stators had a different connector and the wire harness is different for that also.

BULLET99Z28
05-06-2009, 04:19 PM
Thanks guys, reason I asked about the atc handlebar switch assembly because ebay had one cheap. So what your sayin is find a TRX handlebar cluster switch for plug n play compatibility. I don't want to get into splicing and troublshooting. I have no problem wiring from scratch though when doing resto work on my camaro.

deathman53
05-06-2009, 05:47 PM
get a trx switch and harness it will be alot easier. Also you can buy them both new if so desired. the 88 and 89 harness is available, the switch is the same for trx's. Differences with the trx harness is the connectors for the stator and maybe the voltage regulator.