PDA

View Full Version : Ramp Info

400grl
01-02-2003, 01:19 PM
I am sure this topic has already made it's rounds, but not when I was looking! :D We have 40 acres, lots of steel and welding talent at our disposal.....gonna build some ramps. For those of you who have built them - what are some good dimensions for starting out? Ramp width, length, angle and landing specs would be EXTREMELY helpful!!! I want a kicker but not one that is going to scare the **** out of me....something kinda mellow at first, but that gets me more hang time than the track tables, doubles, etc. Also, how do you figure out how far out and how high to make your landing - without killing yourself?

One more question.......we are going to make it out of steel and plywood unless anyone has any better suggestions. Do you have to reinforce the top of the ramp with anything to keep from splitting it or shredding it?

Thanks for any info!!!!!

P.S. We also have a giant crane with a huge boom that we can climb up on to get some good pics!!! Cool, huh?:blah

motochris
01-02-2003, 02:28 PM
So you want to build a ramp, cool.... Now will you be jumping quads or motorcycles or both??? How high do you want to start with for your first ramp??? One thing you must remember is hight-vs-length.... To high and to short will give you one heck of a kicker and if your not a good rider you will be getting hurt... Then you have the other side, to short and to long make a distance jump with no hight... What is your level of riding skill??? I have built a few ramps in my time (3,6,10 footers)

Wood and steel are great to use so your on the right track, unless your good a welding aluminum with a TIG.... Let me know what your wanting to do and i'll help you out the best i can...

Post here or PM me and well get ya going....................:D

NTPRacing#19
01-02-2003, 02:43 PM
a girl that wants to jump her quad, thats my dream girl lol. um heres a ramp that you will like. Im buildin one myself and i have already seen this ramp built and it is very nice!

your gonna need 210ft of either 2x4 or steel to make the frame and supports

your gonna wanna build this ramp 6ft tall, 6ft wide, and 18ft long.
i would beleive the angle is somewhere between 40-45degrees.
i would start at 40 degrees and set the ramp about 35 ft from a landing that is about 6ft tall and 20 feet long. i have to get a picture of this ramp setup to help you out more. pics are better than words

good luck

400grl
01-02-2003, 02:44 PM
COOL!!!:D We will be jumping quads......as far as riding abilities.....we both race MX - my boyfriend races pro, and I race Novice......we are used to the jumps on the track - tables, doubles, whatever. We have found it's hard to get enough air time out there to get creative........

We are probably going to build two ramps....one for me (I'm a weenie, and we both need somewhere to start) and then a bigger one for him when he gets bored with the first one. My longest table jumps probably get me about 4-5 solid air seconds if I hit them in 5th gear. I would like to find something in between the fast, long jumps and a slow one that pops me up too high and too slow, and drops me with no distance. Does that make sense?

He welds mostly steel, so I think he must have a MIG welder, and most of the materials at the shop are steel.....although aluminum would be nice!

Thanks for the help!

400grl
01-02-2003, 02:49 PM
NTP - any pics would be great!!!

NTPRacing#19
01-02-2003, 02:49 PM
is your boyfriend John Natalie?

cause i know he has a girlfriend that rips and he races pro so i dunno just wondering

400grl
01-02-2003, 02:53 PM
No......he's not that Pro! :) We both race at the local levels here in AZ.....hoping to get to Glen Helen and race some fast pros this year!:D

NTPRacing#19
01-02-2003, 02:55 PM
oh ok. if you have aim whats your screen name cause i can talk to you about ramps on that since we are both on. mine is HuevosGrandes19

HELMERS418
01-05-2003, 01:19 PM
HEY WHATS GOIN ON!

i race alot of motocross and i was goin through the same thing and what we did was just drew out some plans and went for it. cause it will come out good if you take your time. thats what we did and our ramp turned out bad ***. it's a kicker to. we jump over our house. i suggest you make it at least 8 to 10 feet tall. well gotta go.

peace out.

NTPRacing#19
01-05-2003, 01:23 PM
we jump over our house
cough bull***** cough :rolleyes:

Glow Plug
01-05-2003, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by HELMERS418

we jump over our house.

Yeah and i can do a back flip on my quad

01-05-2003, 02:04 PM
Juggalo has a quad ramp.. I've seen it over at freestylemtx.com. If he doesnt post pics, I can go dig them up. I would make it around 5 or 6' tall, with a final angle around 37 degrees..

Wired
01-05-2003, 02:22 PM
22 long x 6'4 wide x 8'2 high with an aproximate angle of 44 degree's depending on how level the dirt is. i suggest if this will be your first ramp hit do not make it any more steep then 30 degrees. professional standard ramps are 32 degree's and the metzger's backflip ramp is 45 degrees. just start small to be on the safe side, i dont recommend anyone to build a ramp like i made in this pic. our next ramp wont be so steep and abrupt. try to go for a smooth transition, smoother the better you'll love your ramp. if you got any other questions feel free to ask :macho just for comparison this gap is only 35 - 40 feet. i put it back to 50 and was literally impossible to clear the gap no matter how fast you go. its about 3/4 to full throttle in 3rd gear for the gap in this pic... way too steep

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/attachment.php?s=&postid=324181

Juggalo
01-05-2003, 05:08 PM
our ramp is 6 feet tall and 12 feet long and 5 feet wide. the problem with ours is its too short. it works fine you just can't jump too far out on it. i think the problem with jons ramp is that its too steep of an angle. the angle is the most important part and its hard to get it right. i would suggest getting ramp plans from www.fmxramps.com you can get the rev 1 plans for free. you'll just need to widen it for a quad. i think thats what we're doing or else we're buying rev 3 plans for our new ramp.

bluebaron
01-05-2003, 06:47 PM
juggalo did you get some plans for ur ramp. i reely what a ramp liike yours
:D

vortex
01-05-2003, 07:26 PM
HELMERS418 quote:

i race alot of motocross and i was goin through the same thing and what we did was just drew out some plans and went for it. cause it will come out good if you take your time. thats what we did and our ramp turned out bad ***. it's a kicker to. we jump over our house. i suggest you make it at least 8 to 10 feet tall. well gotta go.

Juggalo
01-05-2003, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by banshee_ex07
juggalo did you get some plans for ur ramp. i reely what a ramp liike yours
:D

no we made everything from scratch

400grl
01-06-2003, 09:08 AM
Hey - cool!!! I just got back online after this weekend and saw all the replies....thank you guys so much! Yeah, I went to fmx ramps and e-mailed them....the 1st plan has a little bit steeper of an angle than what I was thinking.....he's a local AZ guy, too - that's cool! I'll keep you guys posted - if I get stuck or have any questions I will pm some of you! Thanks again!