PDA

View Full Version : 04 450r Problems

05-05-2009, 11:58 PM
I am going to look at an 04 450r again soon. What should I check on it while I'm there? Where/what are its weak points that I should check.

I have heard about Cracked cases. Where exactly would the crack be?

Also heard about cracking frames... Where would the cracks be?

Any other things I should check while I'm there?

Thanks

sparks 450
05-06-2009, 05:45 PM
I know several people with 04-05 trxs including myself that hasnt had any problems with them at all. Mine is a 2004 got brand new jan 04. I ride motocross and in the dunes. the only widespread problems i know of is on the 06-07 ti. valves. the problem was a large part of the owners didnt do the first valve check. it is very very important on those models, and they did have a recall that had to do with the starting system. the 04-05 have steel valves that are more durable.

xcracer416
05-09-2009, 08:57 PM
look around the top bolt of the case saver. the right side foot peg area will stress crack and eventually break with loss of footpeg. other than that your normal wearable parts

BlaineKaiser450
05-09-2009, 09:13 PM
look at the area where the kicker folds in. they also crack there

awj8074
05-10-2009, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by BlaineKaiser450
look at the area where the kicker folds in. they also crack there thats what i've heard i've been lucky no cracked case around the kicker

MAD450r
05-10-2009, 08:01 PM
That is user error that caused that. The dealers even tell you when you pickup an R dont touch the gas when starting, people that dont listen sometime get kick back which tris to turn the motor backwords, thats what breaks the case.

as for other problems my 04 is still on original valves and rings, only been reshimed once this past winter. I ride mx and I love to be onthe limiter. I am anal about maintinence though. I change my oil religiously at or just under 10 hours ride time, both sides and filter.

awj8074
05-10-2009, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by MAD450r
That is user error that caused that. The dealers even tell you when you pickup an R dont touch the gas when starting, people that dont listen sometime get kick back which tris to turn the motor backwords, thats what breaks the case.

as for other problems my 04 is still on original valves and rings, only been reshimed once this past winter. I ride mx and I love to be onthe limiter. I am anal about maintinence though. I change my oil religiously at or just under 10 hours ride time, both sides and filter. I have a hard time guessing when 10 hours is but yea its a full change oil, filter and tranny at once. Have you found a easy way to get the tranny drain plug out? Its a ***** behind the peg on my 05

MAD450r
05-11-2009, 03:04 PM
I use the allen bolt check hole myself, I have a friend help me tilt enough its easier than messing with that drain plug :)

I know its not getting 100% of the fluid out that way but i've done it this way since new in march of 04.

fastredrider44
05-11-2009, 03:35 PM
Drain plug is easy when you use a Universal joint on the socket. I run the crap outta mine and change it every 4 hours. One race & one ride. My frame gave way at the left footpeg. And most of the time, a cracked case will leak, so it shouldn't be hard to spot. But cracked frames can be difficult, so look over the frame carefully. Make sure that everything appears to be tight so you don't buy something ragged out too.

Wayner
05-15-2009, 08:35 PM
12mm end wrench works for me................how tight are you guys getting the drain plug.