PDA

View Full Version : Steering stabilizer wont clamp now???

jkiserracing
05-05-2009, 09:53 PM
I have a steering stabilizer on my 450r....not a high dollar one just one of the $130-150 dollar ones...anyway just changed my stem from stock to a lonestar +1.....well the lonestar stem must be just a bit smaller in diameter because the clamp (on the stem) will not tighten down now....its as tight as it will go but nothing......anyone else have this issue....any fix??????

JJs450r
05-05-2009, 11:30 PM
not saying this is probably the best thing to do but you could prob get by with put some rubber between the clamps

hardkoratvmxr
05-05-2009, 11:31 PM
maybe try wrapping electrical tape around the stem where you are clamping that way it has something to get tight on. that is the only thing that came into my head.

Jersey450R
05-06-2009, 05:43 AM
similar situation i once had. i ran a burgard stem on an 05' 450R and had to run a 400ex clamp.

YannGumbo
05-06-2009, 08:07 AM
The stock 450R doesn't have the same OD as the LSR one.
Stock steering stem OD is 1.34inch and new LSR steering stem is 1.25inch.
You need a new stem clamp.

hondaracing_13
05-06-2009, 08:58 AM
I ran into this prob a few months ago. You have to get new clamps. Be shure to tell them about your stem change, it took me 2 weeks becouse I couldn't get the guys we ordered the parts from to understand what was going on.

jkiserracing
05-06-2009, 09:10 PM
actually I came up with a solution that worked great.....I took the half side of the clamp (non threaded side) put it in a vice, and cut about 1/8 inch off both ends so the clamp wouldnt touch when screwed back together (around the stem)....once i made the cuts ( simply put in a vice and used a hack saw) I evened and smoothed up the cuts with a file. I put it back on the bike, it tightened right up like it used too......worked just fine. (Someone else I know actually suggested this....i cant take the credit......)

now....aside from that yanngumbo you are right about tha (its a smaller diameter stem)....so now it seems as though i have a little play at the bushing.....i didnt replace the bushing when I installed this because mine looked ok.....do you guys think a new bushing would help that or not....i mean the stem is actually smaller in size than the stock???

rdj450
05-07-2009, 07:41 AM
you'll may want to call lsr and get a bushing from them. most companies that make stems that are a different diameter than stock supply a new bushing with the stem, but i'm guessing u bought the stem used and didnt recieve the bushing. so just call lsr or norris and see if they can get u one. on the clamp idea, i did the same thing to both of my stabilizer clamps and they work fine.

jkiserracing
05-07-2009, 08:17 AM
Thats a good idea.....thanks....Im going to call lsr today......it was Norris who actually told be about trimming down the clamp actually...lol

fandl450r
05-07-2009, 08:54 AM
Norris knows his stuff! I've known him for a long time, and he's never lead me in the wrong direction.

Sjorge450R
05-07-2009, 08:54 AM
just call Colby at C&D and ask him for a different clamp. I needed a 400ex clamp for my R when i switched to a burgard stem. Much better than having the possibility of the rubber slipping.