PDA

View Full Version : 400EX carrier problems

Chin_Chilla
05-05-2009, 08:57 PM
Friend just called me and said he was having problems with his axle carrier. he said the chain had too much play and he tried to tighten it by loosening the allen bolts and tightening the (dont remember what its called) with a flat head screwdriver. Anyway, he said he tightened it as far as it would turn, and the chain still has about 4 inches of play (slack). Does he need a new axle carrier or are the bearings shot? Thanks for any info!

trailrider894
05-05-2009, 09:21 PM
wow how much slack did he have to being with???

Chin_Chilla
05-05-2009, 09:30 PM
Good question lol, I guess after tightening it and tightening it, you finally get to a point where it doesnt tighten anymore... Any ideas people?

seventythree
05-05-2009, 10:05 PM
sounds like his chain is too long or really really worn out

trailrider894
05-06-2009, 04:48 AM
i mean there is no way that bearings being out or a bad carrier is the problem here. i would say he needs a new chain. and if the chain is that worn go ahead and replace the sprockets to. can you explain the process he is using to tighten the chain??

Chin_Chilla
05-06-2009, 06:53 AM
I went and looked at the bike this morning, also had a talk with him about it. He told me that he would tighten the chain about once every 3 months as the chain would get slack in it. he says it would work fine for 3 months, then it would loosen again. So he again would tighten the chain. He says now it will not tighten anymore, and the chain has severe slack, 3-4 inches. It isn't the chain or sprockets as it has worked perfect in the past. Problems lies somewhere in the carrier. Maybe ne needs a new carrier?

05-06-2009, 07:31 AM
my guess is that he has over tightened the chain on many occasions, which will wear the bearings...proper chain tension is hard to maintain with worn bearings

he needs to measure a span of 21 pins in the chain...if the distance from the 1st pin to the 21st pin is over 12.56", he needs to replace the chain and sprockets. since he has tightened the chain all the way(rotated the adjuster towards the rear of the bike) and he has that much slack, the chain is worn out.

bbender85
05-06-2009, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by speedyquad
...since he has tightened the chain all the way(rotated the adjuster towards the rear of the bike) and he has that much slack, the chain is worn out.

yessir. there really isn't much to a carrier, and as said before, bad bearings alone would not give you that much slack.

trailrider894
05-06-2009, 11:16 AM
i say a new chain. i haven't had to tighten my chain once this year. and i ride everyday. and he tightens his once every three months. well then sounds like someone is streching a chain. and still if you get a new chain i would get new sprockets to.

shaneohio21
05-06-2009, 06:10 PM
Dude there is no way its the carrier save all the time and worries buy a regina chain and ull not have this problem grap the rear wheels and shake them front to back if it moves the bearings are bad but it sounds like a cheap chain

konastank
05-06-2009, 07:58 PM
He needs a new chain