PDA

View Full Version : just got a 450er/r have tons of questions

400exrider69
05-05-2009, 08:51 PM
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=204977853&albumId=1790968

i've got alot more done that in the pictures if the link works tell me if it don't

it's an 04 frame
with an 06 or newer motor
i bought it none running for $1000 it has bad intake valves so i'm planning on sending the motor off to get it worked on
the motor has to be atleast an 06 since it's electric start
but besides that i don't know
i bought it and was told it was an 07 till i ran numbers and it came back as an 04 with an 06 or newer motor
i find no number on the motor
the air filter was DIRTY so
my plans are to buy a full exhaust an after market ignition rotor guards engine skid prm front bumper and grab bar
i'm sending the frame off to get it powercoated

how can i tell if it's an 06 or a newer motor in there
if it is an 06 how worried should i be about the trans
i'm planning on putting around $2500 into which i had saved up to put into a yfz but i got such a good deal
also looking for a good seat pad and foam for arond $60 shipped
thanks

python952
05-05-2009, 08:58 PM
first off, It seems kinda fishy that the previous owner said it was an 07, then it comes back an 04 with a newer motor and theres no numbers on the motor?? Sounds stolen, especially for that cheap. Are the numbers on the motor ground off?? There should be a few digits near the front sprocket shaft. Secondly, if the motor is electric start then it pretty much has to be an 06 or newer. If it was an 04/05 motor, it would have an oil cooler also. As long as the motor isnt all built up i wouldnt worry too much about the trans but since the motors out getting rebuild anyway, its some cheap insurance to send the trans to motoxperts and get the tranny mod.. I believe its only around 100 bucks for everything. Hope that helps

450rJam
05-05-2009, 09:03 PM
VERY fishy indeed

hope you got a bill of sale just to keep you out of jail

does the frame have vin ?

Black R/T
05-05-2009, 09:15 PM
wow guys, kinda being some pansies huh?
sounds like you got a decent deal, even if you got it just like it sits in the pictures. you def. have an 04-05 frame (i see the mounts for the oil cooler and the exhaust mounts on the subframe).

450rJam
05-06-2009, 04:43 AM
pansies ?

thats what my little sister use to call people who made her mad

surely if your going to call names you can come up with something a little "tuffer"

1,000 may or maynot be a good deal, depends on how much it takes to get it right. 800 on top end (valves/springs/piston/rings)
if bottom end needs attention you could add another grand easy,
running 450r's on craigs list and ebay for 3-4k

and if something ends up with stolen numbers on it and he loses the whole atv and no bill of sale to go back after seller he is out the 1,000 also

exrider69 I do hope its legit and you get it running easy, lots of info here if you need help

hondaracing_13
05-06-2009, 09:04 AM
Count ten over from left to right on the vin # and you can always get the year.

400exrider69
05-06-2009, 09:08 AM
well i got it on friday and started tearing it down on monday night
the front plastic seat and gas tank are geat i accidently broke the rear plastic with a loading strap.

it has new stock tires front and rear still have paint and tits on them

when i ran the numbers i was told it was an 04 frame
but after i didn't find any numbers on the motor is when i got worried i did as always get a bill of sale moreless saying i bought in as is condtion from seller

how often do people rebuild the bottem end on these quads

i would like to do the tranny mod bad but it'll be atleast $550 from motoexperts since they have to split cases that's atleast 450 then the mod it selft is only 120
does any one have an 06 and has had tranny problems
is there anyway on the valves or lifter arms to tell if it could be an 07 since i was told the 07's valves or lifters were a little differnt

400exrider69
05-06-2009, 07:23 PM
bump

400exrider69
05-07-2009, 11:37 AM
anything