PDA

View Full Version : 400ex or 250r or banshee

honda400-4-ever
05-05-2009, 07:51 PM
rite now i have a 400ex slightly modded and was wanting to bore it but saw how much it was and WOW two stroke are way cheaper than that to bore should i sell it and get a banshee or 250r??? i mostly ride firlds and trails

05-05-2009, 08:03 PM
250r for sure if you want a 2 stroke.

puTTs
05-05-2009, 08:04 PM
Stick with the 400ex. By far the best all around and most reliable quad. IMO
But the sound and powerband of the two strokes is addicting :) Between the banshee and 250r. 250r all the way.

rob_990
05-05-2009, 08:06 PM
get a 250r if you find a good one for cheap

400exrider_88
05-05-2009, 08:08 PM
my cousin has 2 banshees they are sweet but they are money pits and high maintainance id rather have a 250r b/c im a honda guy

countryboy78
05-05-2009, 08:17 PM
I had a banshee they are a money pit.The more i rode it the more money i put in it.I sold it and got a 400ex.The honda is a much better trail bike imo.If you go the 2 stroke route i would get a 250r they handel better.But parts are getting hard to find my friend had on and it took 3 months to find a counter balance.I would stay with a 4 stroke if it was me.

05-05-2009, 08:19 PM
This is a horrible place/forum to be asking this. Of course everyone will be on the honda train. Ask over on bansheehq and everyone will tell you banshee. lol.

400exrider_88,
I would like to know your definition of money pit and high maintaince? Not to jump down your throat but I really am getting sick of the banshee put downs on here. They're much lower maintaince then 4-strokes. 4-strokes need more maintaince then a 2-stroke. When a banshee is tuned right, change the gear oil and spark plug every once in a blue moon and the thing will run forever. And thats speaking from experience.

And if you want 2-stroke, I think the banshee is a better choice. 250r's are awesome bikes but all in all its just a 2-stroke 400ex. Thats all. Banshee's have such an incredible addicting hit. The hit powerband so hard it always puts a smile on your face. They're super stable on corners and straight flyers off jumps. Upgrade the front suspension to YFZ450 a-arms and 400ex shocks, and you have a great bike.

RIDE THEM RIDE THEM RIDE THEM. I would hate to see someone turn down a quad because the honda bandwagon scared them away. Ride both the 250r and the banshee and see what YOU are comfortable on, not what we are.

05-05-2009, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by countryboy78
I had a banshee they are a money pit.The more i rode it the more money i put in it.I sold it and got a 400ex.The honda is a much better trail bike imo.If you go the 2 stroke route i would get a 250r they handel better.But parts are getting hard to find my friend had on and it took 3 months to find a counter balance.I would stay with a 4 stroke if it was me.

Once again, the only banshee's that are money pits are ones that were beat the crap out of and aren't tuned right. My dads hasnt needed a dime for a couple years now and mine hasn't so far either.
The only reason they're money pits is because the power is so addicting you keep wanting to mod it more and more:devil:

honda400-4-ever
05-05-2009, 08:22 PM
is the power on a 250r close to a banshee both stock because i really like POWER

beags86
05-05-2009, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by DMC-4OOEX
This is a horrible place/forum to be asking this. Of course everyone will be on the honda train. Ask over on bansheehq and everyone will tell you banshee. lol.

400exrider_88,
I would like to know your definition of money pit and high maintaince? Not to jump down your throat but I really am getting sick of the banshee put downs on here. They're much lower maintaince then 4-strokes. 4-strokes need more maintaince then a 2-stroke. When a banshee is tuned right, change the gear oil and spark plug every once in a blue moon and the thing will run forever. And thats speaking from experience.

And if you want 2-stroke, I think the banshee is a better choice. 250r's are awesome bikes but all in all its just a 2-stroke 400ex. Thats all. Banshee's have such an incredible addicting hit. The hit powerband so hard it always puts a smile on your face. They're super stable on corners and straight flyers off jumps. Upgrade the front suspension to YFZ450 a-arms and 400ex shocks, and you have a great bike.

RIDE THEM RIDE THEM RIDE THEM. I would hate to see someone turn down a quad because the honda bandwagon scared them away. Ride both the 250r and the banshee and see what YOU are comfortable on, not what we are.

crap who invited dmc into this, hope you guys are ready for a fight..no one dare rag on a shee with him around.;)

05-05-2009, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by honda400-4-ever
is the power on a 250r close to a banshee both stock because i really like POWER

No, I don't care what these guys say. The banshee is 38hp stock and the 250r is about 30-32. But with pipes, the 250r is about 33-34hp whereas the banshee is in the 45+ range.

If you want power, the banshee is a tough one to beat. Even the shee haters on here would agree to that.

BUT... the 250r is a more tractable broad power.

05-05-2009, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by beags86
crap who invited dmc into this, hope you guys are ready for a fight..no one dare rag on a shee with him around.;)

LOL. Well the shee is like a child to me. How would you feel if someone was making fun of your child? haha

honda400-4-ever
05-05-2009, 08:32 PM
which one is more reliable and easier to maintain

Wheelie
05-05-2009, 08:45 PM
The 400ex. Banshees handle like crap IMO, the only place they do well is the sand.

honda400ex2003
05-06-2009, 12:03 AM
400ex, always wanted a 250r though. If i had the chance to buy one I would. steve

05-06-2009, 04:52 AM
which one is more reliable and easier to maintain

Bewtween the 250r and banshee? I'm not sure, they're pretty close. I'll give a slight nod to the 250r but they're pretty close. Like I said, banshee's get a bad name because no one ever takes the time to set up those dual carbs right.

honda400-4-ever
05-06-2009, 05:01 AM
how easy is it to tune the dual carbs.

05-06-2009, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Wheelie
The 400ex. Banshees handle like crap IMO, the only place they do well is the sand.

in a straight line and thats about it in the sand. 250r can easily keep up with a banshee and far outhandle it. Banshees just arent very good for things unless your keeping the wheels on the ground and going straight.

Snipe
05-06-2009, 11:09 AM
I have owned both. Banshee was a early ninety model and it was perfect in every way. Fired first kick everytime. No matter what 2 stroke you own nothing sounds like a banshee as a banshee is twin cylinder and it fires every up stroke. When one fires it forces the piston down and forces the other up and it fires again, as to where a single cylinder you have a wasted down stroke taking power away from tires.

As far as the banshee vs 400ex. If its woods stay with the 400. To get the banshee to keep up with my 400 I had to drop a tires size to 20's, went to a nine tooth front sprocket, ground out the sliders on the axel and slid the axel all the way up as far under the bike as I could and put a new chain on it.

Never had a 250R but from what I have seen there just outdated alot of mods being done to make them ride as good as the 400ex.

My only draw back to the banshee was gas. I ran belray full synthetic oil at $9 a bottle when making a full tank of gas cost me about $14 as to were the 4 stroke just stop at the pump on the way out and go.

smelly$cat
05-06-2009, 12:21 PM
I cast my vote for the 400ex. From the looks of your mods, I think if you did some engine work, you'd be pleasantly surprised with the power potential of the 400ex.

Bump it to a 426 with an aftermarket cam of your choice and you will be rippin up the trails. Heck, I have a 426 with a STOCK cam that put down 38hp on the dyno. (12.5:1 CP piston though).

I think if you compared 2 freshly built engines, the EX engine will last the longest before needing a internal refresh. As you know, just change the oil and keep the air filter clean and you can get by for many many many hours.

And most importantly, you can't switch to a banshee, else you will have to change your screen name! :)

rob_990
05-06-2009, 12:50 PM
the ex engine will last the longest but working on 2strokes is way easier and cheaper than a 4stroke

jcs003
05-06-2009, 12:56 PM
i had a banshee, and i currently have a 250r and 400ex. a banshee is fun if you have consistant weather. i was retuning my carb every season(times 2). i thought it was the next best thing til the 400ex came out and it was an upgrade in my opinion. then i got a deal on an 86 250r in 2002 and it is amazing how well it performs. my 250r has a very smooth powerband and handles much better than a shee.

if you want 2-stroke fun in a light-weight reliable package, go 250r.

brian76708
05-06-2009, 12:57 PM
Bewtween the 250r and banshee? I'm not sure, they're pretty close. I'll give a slight nod to the 250r but they're pretty close. Like I said, banshee's get a bad name because no one ever takes the time to set up those dual carbs right.

250r are way easier dont have to mess with the stupid dual carbs and two cylinders.

Snipe
05-06-2009, 01:31 PM
The dual carbs and dual cylinders make for more power but that is just a bit of info.

The carbs are easy adjust unless its a first on the market style most the newer ones have adjust on one side and it tunes both carbs unless your rebuilding then its x2.

things are alot cheaper for the shee's

If you buy one try to find one with the J ARM front end instead of the A ARM front end they performe better and are more reliable. They only made them through certain year though.

05-06-2009, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by FlewByU352
in a straight line and thats about it in the sand. 250r can easily keep up with a banshee and far outhandle it. Banshees just arent very good for things unless your keeping the wheels on the ground and going straight.

What is with you dude? You don't even own one and you constantly rag on them whenever there's a thread about it because your cousin or whatever has one.

People who say banshee's are for straight lines only suck at riding. That's all there is to it. They turn sharper and rail around corners better then my 400ex. They're very low CG and can really rail around corners. Jumps are harsh, yes, being the front suspension really isn't the greatest. But that can be cheaply upgraded.

Put me on a track with the banshee and 400ex and I would run better lap times on the banshee.

A smaller front sprocket with 20" tires and updated front suspension makes it a hell of a bike. Acceleration and handling.

And Sniper, to add on to what you said, the J-arms preform better (less sprung weight) and the whole quad is 14 some pounds lighter. But the only downside is they eat bushings:p

honda400-4-ever
05-06-2009, 02:01 PM
which one is faster 250r or 400ex?? what would u recommend for the next upgrade on my 400

smelly$cat
05-06-2009, 02:11 PM
I've never riden a 250r, so, I can't say. By nature, it should have less bottom end, but puller harder and faster in the mid-range on up. Top speed would be based on gearing.

Without going internal to the engine on your ex, the only mods I can think of are dropping a tooth on your front sprocket if you want more bottom end pull. Next would probably be a timing key to advance the timing (I don't have this done on either of my bikes)(I guess this involves removing the side case cover). But, sounds like many on here have done it with good results.

Beyond that, you can go with a higher compression piston and bigger bore. Add a wilder cam if you want to take it to the next level. Have someone smooth out your head while they are in there.

My 2 cents.

05-06-2009, 02:28 PM
A 250r isn't much faster then a 400ex, just a different type of power. It's a little faster, but not like a crazy difference. Plus parts are getting harder and harder to find.

I say mod the 400ex or get a banshee. I love 250r's, but with the 400ex I wouldn't go out of my way to get one unless it has some work done.

scuzz
05-06-2009, 02:35 PM
I'd stay away from the j-armed ones as the aftermarket support isn't that great. retrofitting is also hard as it requires welding and other metalworking skills.

As far as plug fouling - that goes for any il-maintained 2 stroke. IMO 2strokes need more love and care than their four stroke thumping cousins.

jcs003
05-06-2009, 02:39 PM
i have a 99 400ex with alot of money into it 435cc JE hi-comp piston, web cam, port/polish and valve work and my 250r smokes it in a drag...the ex handles awesome in the woods i ride, but the 250r with a few suspension mods will get the nod...

honda400-4-ever
05-06-2009, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Snipe
The dual carbs and dual cylinders make for more power but that is just a bit of info.

The carbs are easy adjust unless its a first on the market style most the newer ones have adjust on one side and it tunes both carbs unless your rebuilding then its x2.

things are alot cheaper for the shee's

If you buy one try to find one with the J ARM front end instead of the A ARM front end they performe better and are more reliable. They only made them through certain year though.

dmc-400ex is ur banshee like that on ur carb. how regularly do u have to tune the carbs do they come out of setting or is it just because of the weather changing if so is it just a couple tweaks with the air/fuel mixture......on 250r's do u have to worry about that i know on my 400 u dont

05-06-2009, 03:57 PM
dmc-400ex is ur banshee like that on ur carb. how regularly do u have to tune the carbs do they come out of setting or is it just because of the weather changing if so is it just a couple tweaks with the air/fuel mixture......on 250r's do u have to worry about that i know on my 400 u dont

Each carb has it's own air/fuel screws and idle screws. It's really easy though. Just make them even and then turn them the same amount.

I never have to change settings on mine, or re-tune it. I finished the project while we still had 30 degree days and it ran great, rode it over the heat wave in 91 degrees and still ran great, if not slightly better.

Unless your making an extremely radical elevation change you don't have to worry about changing the settings.

05-06-2009, 03:58 PM
Oh and they don't come out of setting. Once they're set they're set.

The key is, find a banshee on craigslist that already has pipes and was tuned well and runs good, and buy it. That way you just buy it and ride it, don't have to worry about the carbs.

honda400-4-ever
05-06-2009, 04:19 PM
now between the 400ex and banshee which jumps better

BEAVER.989
05-06-2009, 04:44 PM
The 400Ex is superior to the Banshee in every way, other than going really fast in a straight line. The Banshee is built on an older platform and out of date in comparison.

More reliable, better handling, better suspended, turns better, jumps better, etc.

That's my opinon on the subject.

jcs003
05-06-2009, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by BEAVER.989
The 400Ex is superior to the Banshee in every way, other than going really fast in a straight line. The Banshee is built on an older platform and out of date in comparison.

More reliable, better handling, better suspended, turns better, jumps better, etc.

That's my opinon on the subject.

x2

BassHunter0123
05-06-2009, 08:13 PM
i own a 400ex and love everything about it. if you want some insane power that will make your eyes water get a banshee. my buddy kept his here up untill he rode it to the bar and someone stole it. it had fmf pipes and ran very well. but a 400 wont let you down as far as reliability. honestly i have never ridden a 250r but i dont see how it could out run a banshee!!! but definitly honda over yamaha!!!!!!!!

beags86
05-06-2009, 08:32 PM
my 250r leaves my 400ex eating dust. in my opinion you need an air filter, open box, good pipe, and jet kit to get close to the back end of a stock 250r in a race... this is based on a few races i had... i am a honda guy, but i have had other stuff as well.. so i stayed in the honda family. anyway tried as i might i couldn't beat a 250r so i went and joined them.

anyway i have a few races on my 250r now....
500 scambler - dead
lt250r - dead
z400 - dead
400ex - dead
sport 400 - dead

out hunting a yfz 450, or 450r and/or banshee now
(i may lose but i want to know)

my 250r starts first kick 75% of the time and the 2nd the rest of the time.

05-06-2009, 08:50 PM

I stated before the Banshee is better suited for having the wheels on the ground. Its better than a 250ex for jumping but is just terrible. Even with better suspension it just doesnt handle too good or fly real good. 250r's being so light will fly pretty darn good. 400ex can handle some air time and is really well balanced. all they really need is a little waking up and a nice suspension. i'm happy with the power I have. yeah I want more but I cant even put what I have to the ground i'm spinning 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear. Blame that on the stock tires getting worn out tim for some new tires. Suspension is great too tuned with the 450r shocks on the front. I can still reach its limits but then again i'm hitting whoops and jumps in 4th or 5th gear and the jump doesnt have a landing so yeah I can find the limits real easy.

jcs003
05-06-2009, 09:06 PM
the banshee ia still a cool unique machine, it just doesn't have a very useable powercurve for an everyday woods type rider. a 250r gets good traction for a 2-stroke with good tires.

to be completely honest, you will adjust and learn how to ride whatever you get and be happy with any quad you choose. so go with the best value you can find.

Snipe
05-06-2009, 10:24 PM
best bet you tube it. banshee beats 250R watched it time and again. 4 stroke beats 2 stroke stock motor to stock motor 4 stroke wins they just creat more HP to the wheels no questions asked.

05-07-2009, 04:57 AM

The 400ex has better suited suspension for the job, but in my opinion the banshee flies straighter. I like jumping it. With the update front suspension it can take jumps like a dream.

trx250r 88
05-07-2009, 06:45 PM
i have a 07 400ex with pipe,jetted and filter.i also have a 250r stock bore,sparks mx pipe,jetted and filter with open air box.the 250r destroys the 400ex in a straight race.i like the 400ex for the handling and realiablity,but the 250r has been just as reliable and handles awesome.i have ridden many atv's and nothing compares to the ol 250r.:D

honda400-4-ever
05-07-2009, 06:49 PM
how would a 440 do with the 250r in a race

honda400-4-ever
05-07-2009, 06:53 PM
check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn8SzI51EuM&feature=related
look how close they are

05-07-2009, 07:04 PM
check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn8SzI51EuM&feature=related
look how close they are

Look at his other videos. At 2:00 they start the drag racing. The ONLY reason that 400ex is keeping up is traction. If you notice, by the time they get to the camera man the banshee is dead even if not ahead of the 400ex, and you can see the banshee starts pulling tremendously past the 400 after they pass the camera guy. By as much as 10 lengths or more. That soil is super loose and banshee's don't hook up well as it is because the powerband is so aggressive. Watch when he gets good starts, he just walks on the 400ex.

And 403cc means nothing. 2-strokes don't run from displacement. That's nothing more then a stock overbored banshee with pipes.

Put them on ground where it isn't so dry and dusty and the shee would walk on by. Trust me, if you've never ridden one, when you do you will get off with a huge grin on your face.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2abSVnsfYLo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2abSVnsfYLo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

jcs003
05-07-2009, 07:08 PM
and another: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyUfnzBIjQY

250R...

05-07-2009, 07:16 PM
jcs, not attacking you, but that vid is a load of crap and you know it. If you listen closely, that banshee hits third at the beginning of the race and doesn't shift anymore. He just pins it in third while the 250r keeps shifting.
If he shifted into 4-5-6 it would of walked on the 250r.
Im not bashin on the r's, they're legends, but need some work before they compete with shee's.

Look at this vid. The 400ex is a 460 stroker fully built, I believe previously owned by a member on this site. FULL RACE motor cam and all. The banshee looks fairly stock, wheelies off the line, and still owns the ex.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ju2gBlIgyF0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ju2gBlIgyF0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

jcs003
05-07-2009, 07:21 PM
dmc- nice video...the drag that i posted showed the 250r can compete with the banshee in a drag. the problem with the banshee is the power comes on later than a 250r. i had a banshee and it was fun...but my 250r is a more user friendly machine. i would never bash a banshee, only stating my experience with a lil' video for comparison.

05-07-2009, 07:25 PM
I completely understand bro. Everyone has different preferences. The banshee is a stronger later hit, which also makes the wheelspin crazy and they suck off the line. lol.

Same banshee against a 450r. Remember what I said about 1 out of 3 banshee's is tuned right? Well this is what im talking about. This guy took time to set his up.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Zl5ZJuWGy5M&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Zl5ZJuWGy5M&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

honda400-4-ever
05-07-2009, 07:32 PM
was the 400 one the left or right because in that video the one on the right got the win at the end

jcs003
05-07-2009, 07:33 PM
the shee i had was very fickle. i was messing with the carb every season to get it running correct. i got the Ex and it was more for me, but when i got out of college and had extra cash to get a 250r i was able to get the benefits of the two stroke with similiar handling qualities as the EX...and fast-forward, i am doing a 250r/400ex hybrid:confused:

05-07-2009, 08:13 PM
was the 400 one the left or right because in that video the one on the right got the win at the end

right. If you look it didn;t win at the end, the banshee had to let off to get out of the wheelie and then starting taking him again at the puddle.

Keep in mind that 400ex is 460 stroker, stage 3 cam, race porting, super high compression, aftermarket carb, etc. That banshee isnt all that modded.

Snipe
05-07-2009, 09:17 PM
Ive owned both banshee had so many mods to run like it did it wasnt funny. Stock for stock 400 would win.

05-08-2009, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Snipe
Ive owned both banshee had so many mods to run like it did it wasnt funny. Stock for stock 400 would win.

Against a banshee? That I have to disagree with ya. The 400ex is still only 27hp stock, and about the same weight as the banshee. Put them where the shee could hook up half way decent and it would still pull the ex.
Traction is what makes the ex so quick lol

scuzz
05-08-2009, 01:43 PM
Here's another reason for the 400ex.

Two strokes burn 30% more gas at WOT 48% more cruising and 60% at idle. The emissions produced from a simple carburetted crankcase scavenged two- stroke cycle engine primarily arise due to losses of fresh charge from the exhaust port during the scavenging process. These losses lead to inferior fuel consumption and a negative impact on the environment.

Even tree huggers like 400EX's compared to their two stroke alternative brethren.

Snipe
05-08-2009, 02:33 PM
banshee ya get lots of wheel spin they never hook up decently.

honda400-4-ever
05-08-2009, 04:51 PM
QUICK QUESTION: im thinking about getting a sparks key for the ol 400 and i was wondering how much difference is there in the powerband??

05-08-2009, 05:47 PM
QUICK QUESTION: im thinking about getting a sparks key for the ol 400 and i was wondering how much difference is there in the powerband??

An awesome difference. I was pleasantly surprised, I honestly didn't think it would do that much. It made it a lot snapper. Probably the best bang for the buck on the 400ex. Im glad with my purchase.

honda400-4-ever
05-08-2009, 08:35 PM
thanks for the replies i think im just going to keep the 400 and just slap a 426, stage 2 cam, and maybe some 450r shocks in it and i think i wont regret keeping. my dad had 2 250r's in his past and he said they were the shi* but like ive heard from someone else a 400ex is just a 4 stroke version of the ol' 250r but the 4 stroke will be a little more reliable but just a little harder to work on (because im kind of new to all valves and stuff) but once you start exploring it will just come naturally i guess.......doesnt mean i wont be wanting a 250r as another bike to have both together is the ultimate combination

beags86
05-09-2009, 11:13 AM
now thats the way to look at it.. that why i have both of them.... and build the r and when someone talks sh*t on your 400 ask them if they want to race your 250r and they will back down... hehe at least they do for me..

05-09-2009, 02:35 PM
thanks for the replies i think im just going to keep the 400 and just slap a 426, stage 2 cam, and maybe some 450r shocks in it and i think i wont regret keeping. my dad had 2 250r's in his past and he said they were the shi* but like ive heard from someone else a 400ex is just a 4 stroke version of the ol' 250r but the 4 stroke will be a little more reliable but just a little harder to work on (because im kind of new to all valves and stuff) but once you start exploring it will just come naturally i guess.......doesnt mean i wont be wanting a 250r as another bike to have both together is the ultimate combination

Wait guys... I have a brilliant idea:devil: Banshee motor in the 400ex frame wahahahaha

jcs003
05-09-2009, 03:02 PM
Wait guys... I have a brilliant idea:devil: Banshee motor in the 400ex frame wahahahaha

on trx250r.net there is a banshee in a 250r chassis...

taller wheels on a shee helps some with traction. try 22"

honda400-4-ever
05-09-2009, 03:03 PM
are u really going to do that!!!!!:eek2: u should that would dominate

05-09-2009, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by jcs003
on trx250r.net there is a banshee in a 250r chassis...

taller wheels on a shee helps some with traction. try 22"

Yeah, but I like 20" tires. Mine really doesn't hook up all too bad. I was just at freeland today and it goes up big ben fine with the holeshots. lol.

honda400-4-ever,
I actually have been wanting to do a hybrid with my shee. A YFZ450 with the banshee engine. I've seen it done before and I know I can do a better job and make it look factory. Problem is finding a rolling chassis. Everyone who has a rolling yfz thinks they have gold and wants like $2000 for it lol. But to this day I am still on the lookout for some kind of chassis. I refuse to cut up my 400ex being it's a 2005.

jcs003
05-09-2009, 03:26 PM
Yeah, but I like 20" tires. Mine really doesn't hook up all too bad. I was just at freeland today and it goes up big ben fine with the holeshots. lol.

honda400-4-ever,
I actually have been wanting to do a hybrid with my shee. A YFZ450 with the banshee engine. I've seen it done before and I know I can do a better job and make it look factory. Problem is finding a rolling chassis. Everyone who has a rolling yfz thinks they have gold and wants like $2000 for it lol. But to this day I am still on the lookout for some kind of chassis. I refuse to cut up my 400ex being it's a 2005.

it would be tough with a 400ex chassis. the shee's pipes will not allow any room for a rad, unless you get a custom radiator or use one from a street bike...

05-09-2009, 03:28 PM
Heres some vids of that yfzshee. I was actually going to tear it down this winter to get everything powdercoated and crap, but I might try to find a blown up 400ex for around $400 to throw the motor in. Would handle so nicely and rip like hell.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zyKufiJR8xM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zyKufiJR8xM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Lw9NPWV5id4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Lw9NPWV5id4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

05-09-2009, 03:29 PM
it would be tough with a 400ex chassis. the shee's pipes will not allow any room for a rad, unless you get a custom radiator or use one from a street bike...

I'm sure I could figure something out. Of course I would take measurements first though. With a machine shop anything is possible.

I would probably mount the headers like the yfzshee.

jcs003
05-09-2009, 03:34 PM
aren't the new yfz450r'r an aluminum frame???

honda400-4-ever
05-09-2009, 03:35 PM
yeah and their is no welds all nuts and bolts!!!! (i wonder how that stand to everyday abuse over jumps and rocks!!!):confused:

jcs003
05-09-2009, 03:39 PM
after watching DMC' vids i want to do that yfz450/banshee 350 hybrid:devil:

honda400-4-ever
05-09-2009, 04:22 PM
jcs003 do u have any pictures of ur 250r/400 hybird??

jcs003
05-09-2009, 04:35 PM
jcs003 do u have any pictures of ur 250r/400 hybird??

sorry, no, not at this moment but i may take some cell pics and see how they look then publish a thread.

honda400-4-ever
05-09-2009, 08:08 PM
does anybody know if u canfeel a big power difference with the air box removed with outerwear and putting aftermarket header on(already have k&n and slip on)

05-10-2009, 05:52 AM
after watching DMC' vids i want to do that yfz450/banshee 350 hybrid:devil:

lol, sick right? And yeah, the new frames are aluminum. I just want the old steel version haa.

honda400, you should feel a small difference. Anything helps. It also sounds deeper/cooler with an open lid lol

05-10-2009, 05:58 AM
lol talk about crazy..

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Llgl4q1ZVC8&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Llgl4q1ZVC8&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

jcs003
05-10-2009, 06:20 AM
that video is silly. 350 twin in a 70cc mini.lol f'n awesome:cool:

i think the 'shee will hook up better in a modern chassis.

hey, DMC, do you use an "amp-link" on you banshee? i had one on my warrior then put one on my banshee when i had it and i definitly had less wheel spin with the device.

here is the thread i started last night after a few people were asking about my project:

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=395940

beags86
05-10-2009, 09:02 AM
what a waste of a honda 70, waste of a shee engine, and waste of time, money, and energy.

05-10-2009, 12:31 PM
that video is silly. 350 twin in a 70cc mini.lol f'n awesome:cool:

i think the 'shee will hook up better in a modern chassis.

hey, DMC, do you use an "amp-link" on you banshee? i had one on my warrior then put one on my banshee when i had it and i definitly had less wheel spin with the device.

here is the thread i started last night after a few people were asking about my project:

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=395940

Never heard of it? Can you get me more info or maybe a link? Thanks!

jcs003
05-10-2009, 12:50 PM
Never heard of it? Can you get me more info or maybe a link? Thanks!

http://amp-research.com/products/misc/powerlink.asp

honda400-4-ever
07-10-2009, 10:53 PM
HOW WELL DO 450R'S HANDLE IN THE WOODS?? BETTER THAN 250R.