PDA

View Full Version : BRP warranty/tsb issue...Help with your suggestions

craigmacphee
05-05-2009, 07:32 PM
I read the entire TSB clutch fix post that was going on a few weeks ago. As most of you know, I just bought my 09 ds450x MX a few weeks ago. I noticed my clutch slipping the 2nd ride I took on it. I came on here and saw there was a TSB listed for it and my quad fell in to the serial number affected. I called my dealer immediately and he ordered the parts. The parts came in yesterday and I dropped it off yesterday to get it fixed. I got a call today telling me that since I was a registered BRP racer program rider, that my warranty is null in void. My serial number was eliminated from the TSB.

Now how in the heck does that work? I buy the quad that they know has a TSB out on it because there was obviously a problem with the thing. I had no idea about this TSb until I came to this site. My dealer had no diea until I told them. BRP let me register it under the racer program, then they tell me my warranty is null in void because I registered it as a racer. I realize it's not a warranty issue "Yet", but when it blows up inside my clutch housing and becomes a catostrophic failure, then where am I? I know they won't cover anything under warranty so I am STUCK.

I trust I am not the only one who has had this issue. How did you guys that were successfull get the update kit covered? My dealer is being very apologetic, and says they are doing they can to get it taken care of, but I am to the point I am afraid to drive my new quad (2 weeks old) because if it fails and takes something else out I am stuck with a huge bill then. I am supposed to represent BRP in the best way possible, so where is the give and take?

Not trying to be a MA whiner or raise a big stink, wondering what you guys or BRP would do if you/they were in my shoes. PLEASE throw some suggestions my way. Thanks in advance, Craig MacPhee (989)550-2197, craig@bigmacwind.com

blaster99
05-05-2009, 08:37 PM
if you are registered as a race, you don't get a warranty. I rode my quad once, and it had an oil leak. I took it back, and it wasn't covered becasue i was registered as a racer.

outtagas
05-05-2009, 08:49 PM
you void your warranty if you sign up to race this quad? is in fine print? or do you knowingly kiss your warranty good bye - to get a discount on parts?

craigmacphee
05-05-2009, 08:56 PM
I'm not asking for a warranty. I want this thing they knowingly let go out the door with a fricked up clutch fixed. That's like selling a corvette and telling them that since its designed to go fast, they are not going to update your brakes to help you stop in case you decide to go fast. C'mon....

outtagas
05-05-2009, 10:04 PM
i hope they do fix your clutch... keep on them.

coryatver
05-06-2009, 11:44 PM
Wow that is messed up. They are kind of sponsoring you as a racer. And they won't even help you out with a TSB because you are a racer lol. That is ironic lol.

Justwin
05-07-2009, 07:03 AM
The best option would be to get a Aftermarket basket such as Motoworks or Hinson and avoid the problem altogether... I appreciate that you feel it should be covered but in my opinion a billet basket is the way to go - had them in both my bikes last year with no problems whatsoever...

ScottB125
05-07-2009, 09:52 AM
Is the dealer the best place to buy the manuals?

I agree, learn to work on it yourself. I have a friend that runs a service dept at a Suzuki shop. They are so tight, they will not place parts orders until they have a large numbers of orders. They are trying to save money on shipping! I doubt this is the only place this goes on. Stuff like this makes me want to stay out of dealers. You might wait two weeks for them to even get the part in.

craigmacphee
05-07-2009, 11:55 AM
I have no problem getting the parts and fixing it myself. The problem is they want to charge me almost $1200 for the parts.

Also...I ordered a service manual the day I bought my quad. 3 weeks ago. It has yet to show up! Think they got an angle???? Craig

coryatver
05-07-2009, 12:40 PM
I believe that buying an aftermarket basket does not fix this problem at all. Something else brakes and then sends pieces of metal into the basket and that is what brakes it.

Justwin
05-07-2009, 01:47 PM
I believe that buying an aftermarket basket does not fix this problem at all. Something else brakes and then sends pieces of metal into the basket and that is what brakes it.
I can guarantee you that an aftermarket basket does fix the problem without any additional parts – just keep your oil fresh.
I had baskets in both of my 08 bikes break early in the season last year though luckily they didn’t do any further damage. I then ran billet baskets for the remaining best part of the season with no issues at all.

grannysleeper
05-07-2009, 01:49 PM
The aftermarket basket will NOT fix the problem, however it might be a nice upgrade to do while doing the 2009 update. The 2009 update replaces the hub, cover, and adds a plate, the original basket stays intact. In fact, you don't even have to remove it to do the update. I did mine myself (my closest can-am dealer is over 3 hours away), it took about 2 hours to do, and cost me under $250 for all the parts and gaskets, including shipping, which i believe is CHEAPER than an aftermarket basket. Let me know if you need part numbers, I can dig up my invoices and get them for you.

Justwin
05-07-2009, 02:01 PM
The aftermarket basket will NOT fix the problem, however it might be a nice upgrade to do while doing the 2009 update. The 2009 update replaces the hub, cover, and adds a plate, the original basket stays intact. In fact, you don't even have to remove it to do the update. I did mine myself (my closest can-am dealer is over 3 hours away), it took about 2 hours to do, and cost me under $250 for all the parts and gaskets, including shipping, which i believe is CHEAPER than an aftermarket basket. Let me know if you need part numbers, I can dig up my invoices and get them for you.

Depends what you class as 'The Problem'.

The main problem in my eyes is that the stock 08 basket breaks - possibly doing more damage as it does so. The clutch may squeal a little until the oil gets up around it but it still operates fine. An extra plate may be welcome but by no means necessary - The DS clutch will way outlast for example a Yam clutch. The new cover just has a little oil passage that mists the clutch in oil initially.

The 09 clutch however still squeals a little too.

craigmacphee
05-07-2009, 04:17 PM
I am game for WHATEVER fixes this problem. Aftermarket or not. If someone has a list of part numbers that will take care of my problems, I am all ears. I will gladly do it myself.

My dealer has had this machine since Monday, and as of tonight at 5pm, BRP still has not returned their call to give them the go ahead or to tell me to blow sand. They told me the update kit did not come with any seals, etc...so if they tear it apart and damage a seal or something, I will be screwed for the weekend.

Why does BRP treat their dealers, and ultimately US like this? Does anyone have a rep's number or a number I can call to get anywhere with this? I called the warranty dept. again today and got the message saying they were to busy to handle my call and to call back later. WTF is that?

outtagas
05-07-2009, 05:19 PM
you could try carlos viola 819 566 3035 at BRP
i think you might need a case number first, not sure.

kellymi
05-07-2009, 05:47 PM
I called my local dealer about this issue also. I had them look up my VIN number for my 09 XC and they said there was nothing that need to be done. Even though I know from the service bulletin that was posted here by engine code falls in the right range in needing the clutch update. They hardly knew anything about it. They also told me that if I wanted to do the update on mine, it would not fall under the warranty which just pisses me off because I bought the 09 because it was advertised as having the updated clutch.:mad: Im with you guys. If someone has a surefire way to make the clutch last I'm all over it.

coryatver
05-07-2009, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Justwin
Depends what you class as 'The Problem'.

The main problem in my eyes is that the stock 08 basket breaks

the clutch fibers bust up into pieces and that causes the basket to break. If you just replace the basket your not fixing it.

from the clutch bulletin thread
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=189&daysprune=365&sortorder=&sortfield=lastpost&perpage=35&pagenumber=1

Originally posted by TNT

The 08 assembly didn't have enough pressure and friction since the hub was too shallow & not enough plates, and oil was not flowing to the upper clutch plates, so the clutch plates would slip burn then brake and at such high RPM's any little metal fragment hitting the basket wall breaks it, lots of centrifiigal force.

You could go after market but you can rest assured the Engineers at BRP know more about their products and are or have done all they can to fix this, any other effort would be secondary and alot of expense to you the buyer and it may not fix the problem.

The guys that just put Hinson baskets on put a banade on a bad design which did nothing to fix the friction pressure problem.

Only other options is Motorworks but for $600 just in parts, not! Full assy is best if you decide this path, and you don't know they got the dimensions right, they probably took a scale to the old parts, not good in precision machining, since they did not have the BRP Engineering drawings.

Terry

crixal
05-07-2009, 06:14 PM
i got the clutch update done for free. parts & labor would have been $330. i just told the dealer to call brp and tell them i'm complaining about the clutch squealing.

hotshotgoal30
05-07-2009, 07:12 PM
i also did the same thing. my dealer had no knowledge about this update on my 08. we both searched his computer for about a half hour and couldnt find anyhting. i told him i know there is a bulletin. so he said he would call and say he had an extremly pissed off customer. and what they should do about the clutch. even tho iv had no problems wuth my clutch yet i want the update. anyways he called me back and said everything was sent. no charge on labor or parts. it took over a month to get the parts. i still havnt gotten it installed. im taking it on monday. my question is should i mention this gasket or seal to my service manager? if it doesnt come in the kit do they have to order it seperate? i dont want them to rip it apart and then realize they need a gasket or seal and wait god knows how long for it to come in.

florentino
05-07-2009, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by craigmacphee
I am game for WHATEVER fixes this problem. Aftermarket or not. If someone has a list of part numbers that will take care of my problems, I am all ears. I will gladly do it myself.

My dealer has had this machine since Monday, and as of tonight at 5pm, BRP still has not returned their call to give them the go ahead or to tell me to blow sand. They told me the update kit did not come with any seals, etc...so if they tear it apart and damage a seal or something, I will be screwed for the weekend.

Why does BRP treat their dealers, and ultimately US like this? Does anyone have a rep's number or a number I can call to get anywhere with this? I called the warranty dept. again today and got the message saying they were to busy to handle my call and to call back later. WTF is that?
i hope you have a spare bike thats just the way to go.. so you dont miss any races.. to be honest i have a 450 honda a yfz and ds and i do just as good on any bike .. i like the ds for smoot power and shocks .. the others get me tired..

Justwin
05-08-2009, 03:24 AM
clutch plates would slip burn then brake and at such high RPM's any little metal fragment hitting the basket wall breaks it, lots of centrifiigal force.

I don't believe that this is the only way around it can happen - 2 of my baskets broke fingers without any plates breaking - i.e. all the fibre plates came out intact.

I appreciate what you are saying about fixing the symtom and not necessarily the root problem - but then again if you fit an aftermarket basket and there are no further symtoms - is there still a problem?