PDA

View Full Version : straight pipes?

buck440
05-05-2009, 01:41 PM
just somthing i've been wondering is if i were in a dry house free area and wanted to run just the header with a custom tip could it be done with the right jetting? tc shorty is about as close as you can get but i'm wanting to push it further without hurting the motor if possible.

rideracelivemx7
05-05-2009, 04:42 PM
good luck with that, it sounds like ****, you wont hurt the motor but you wont have the back pressure that it wants so you might feel a little laggy in some spots throughout the powerband, they put mufflers on for a reason, it curves the exhaust so it works with the motor, not against it, cant run straights, it aint no diesel :)

puTTs
05-05-2009, 05:02 PM
Your not going to hurt the engine physically. Power wise your bottem and mid will be hurt a good bit, and you'll gain some power at max rpm. Getting rid of the last foot and a half to two feet of pipe will greatly drop your pipe volocity(vaccume that pulls the exhaust out of the motor). Meaning you will lose efficiency and power down low and mid. But gain some power up top from the extra flow. Fuel mileage doesn't matter to much but it will be hurt some as well. The sound is ear shattering even with a helmet on. We tried that on the neighbors 400ex when he was switching pipes just to see. It sounds like wet butt cheek farts, just insanely loud. :)

Snipe
05-05-2009, 05:41 PM
Actually no back pressure or lacking pressure can hurt the valves getting them out of time and cause you to burn oil and possibly blow your motor up. and to much pressure can cause the motor to over heat and even crack the head.

buck440
05-05-2009, 06:00 PM
it for sure sounds like crap at idol but when 5th pinned there goes the neighborhood:D i was just wondering cause this town *** hole always complain near a trail and figured i could let him hear it for a while:chinese: good'ol freddy glen AKA freddy g:p

puTTs
05-05-2009, 06:50 PM
Your first post said you were in a "house free" area. Your last post mentioned the "town *** hole" always compaining, now your purposely going to give him something to complain about by removing the muffler all together? Don't do that, ATVs and dirtbikes are already labeled as a nuisance by 99% of people. Don't add to the problem. I'm down to a minimum 1 hour drive to get to a place to ride because every where is being shut down for noise issues or just stupid riders.

05-05-2009, 06:58 PM
Aftermarket mufflers that having an opening bigger than 1-3/4" arent really restricting much just dampening noise.

Snipe
05-05-2009, 07:15 PM
If im riding private properties I have no prob taking off my resitriction plate, if im riding a ATV permit type area better bet there on heck the closest place to me is 108miles about an hour and a half other is around 2 and half hours so yeah other than that its going out of state lol.

buck440
05-05-2009, 08:44 PM
now i gotta tell my story:rolleyes: town *** hole lives a little out of town and town *** hole himself rides his 250r three wheeler all around town since he doesn't have a license anymore but when were on the roads near town *** hole he says we shouldn't be riding on the roads and always says not to be on his property which were not on his and he always follows us at our spot even if were not riding but just building ramps town *** hole always tells us to leave and a few times the *** hole put his pos truck he never drives right in the middle of the trail, as if we couldn't go around it:rolleyes: and since you can drive it we go there at night sometimes and he will spotlight you and once he got a gun out but i think it was a bb gun....this ****up pos scum of the earth deserves every bit of what i can dish out. oh yah in this town population 400 st. francisville ill if you pay for a card you can ride in town since it's not big at all but no speeding

bergoff
05-05-2009, 09:51 PM
we had a lady like that were i grew up in wi. we could ride on the streets if we had a trail sticker. my bike had stock exhaust and i always rode the speed limit. the old bag next door would always call the cops and they would say that i was not hurting anything. i was only 12 on my xl125. then i went right up to a xr600 with a supertrap with 18 plates. we had 9 acres right on the outside of town. i made trails all over the place in our woods. she would always complain but the other neighbors all rode at my house. then one day her car wouldn't start and she asked for a jump. and she said that she was sorry for being a pain. it was funny.

Snipe
05-05-2009, 10:43 PM
Same here its pop of a few thousand but still just gotta have it insured and a city permit.

buck440
05-05-2009, 11:01 PM
now that that's cleared up, back on subject...to give it back pressure would you think if i clamped on about 2 inches of pipe and about the last half inch taper it at about 30° all around and it would fool the motor to think it's got an exhaust?

bergoff
05-06-2009, 12:14 AM
you should be ok. i have ran straight pipes on my 76 yamaha xs650 for years now and no problems. just rejetted sounds awesome and runs like a champ