PDA

View Full Version : 1998 cummins?

extremeblastr
05-05-2009, 08:37 AM
going to look at a 24v tomorrow, its got 100,000 on it and an auto tranny (not to keen on the auto but its cheap) it doesn't look beat on from the pics and theres is no rust. just wondering if there is anything in particular i should be looking for as far as issues

brian76708
05-05-2009, 08:45 AM
i know dodge had problems with the auto trans in the 12v but im not sure if they switched trans for the 24v

extremeblastr
05-05-2009, 09:29 AM
see i'm not sure about that either, i'm hopin that some of the guys that are real into that stuff will chime in as the day goes on but hell even with auto issues i'm sure i can do a swap to a manual and with the guy only asking 6200 for the truck money won't be a big deal on the swap.

ben300
05-05-2009, 09:34 AM
dodge had and still has problems with there auto's...

some advice....save a litte extra and get a 3rd gen with six speed

extremeblastr
05-05-2009, 09:38 AM
is it possible to swap the six speed into that truck? i'm trying to buy the truck without having to get rid of my car and that makes money tight as far as an overall budget. i know someone with a couple of wrecked trucks hanging out in his yard with the six speed so if its a bolt up swap then i'll just swap the trannys and call it day.

ben300
05-05-2009, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by extremeblastr
is it possible to swap the six speed into that truck? i'm trying to buy the truck without having to get rid of my car and that makes money tight as far as an overall budget. i know someone with a couple of wrecked trucks hanging out in his yard with the six speed so if its a bolt up swap then i'll just swap the trannys and call it day.

i dont know about the 98...if they had came with a six speed, but we put one out of an 03 in my buddies 97 12v ext cab long bed, and it was the most god aweful ordeal in the whole world....from getting the sixth gear fixed in the trans, to all the custom mounts and fabrication and the custum drive shafts for the truck, it was just a *****....nothing lined up right.....just an enormous hastle...**** for the money he put into the whole deal and since then, he could have bought a really nice used 3rd gen with a 6 spd

i mean the transmission and truck rights fantastic now..but it was definitally, with out a doubt, more of a hastle than it was worth

extremeblastr
05-05-2009, 11:26 AM
i will have to check it out then before i go tomorrow, i found a lot of diesels in my area for under 11gs but so far only a couple i think are actually worth the money, checkin the dodge out in the morning and 02 f250 7.3 in the afternoon

ben300
05-05-2009, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by extremeblastr
i will have to check it out then before i go tomorrow, i found a lot of diesels in my area for under 11gs but so far only a couple i think are actually worth the money, checkin the dodge out in the morning and 02 f250 7.3 in the afternoon

ya good luck searching....im saving my money to buy either a 3rd gen or a duramax around next xmas with less that 100k on it....

go to ebay..i dont know where your from, but theres a dude up in syracuse that moves a ton of cummins all the time. real clean ones

extremeblastr
05-05-2009, 09:44 PM
i'll have to check into that, syracuse is only about a 2 1/2 hour drive for me

400exrider707
05-05-2009, 10:03 PM
The dude in cuse selling those cummins is a crock, stay away. Some of my buddies checked some of his trucks out, he's selling flood trucks just FYI. There was sand behind the gauge clusters and what not...

join www.upstatebombers.com and ask about him, its the local upstate NY diesel club.

The dodge autos are crap, they've never had a good one. They can be built to be very good though.

Sounds like a good price for that one even still...

blacknblue#2
05-05-2009, 10:37 PM
If im not mistaken 98 was a split year and that truck could still be a 12V??? Either way yes the autos are junk but can be built to be very stout. for that price i dont think you can go wrong. If its a 12V then get the fuel to it, put an HX40 turbo on it and have some fun. If its a 24V then of course its plug and play.