PDA

View Full Version : Brake fluid and ez pull

brodzowski
05-05-2009, 01:19 AM
I've seen alot of questions asked about the clutch lever but in my tidying up after the trailer incident I decided to buy some other things that I wanted. I was pulling the spindles off anyway, so I thought it was a good time to do the brakes while I was in there. I bought a set of aftermarket levers for both the clutch and the brake (not asv) and replaced the pads on the front. My brake lever for the fronts now goes almost to the bars before I get a solid lock on it. Makes it feel mushy. They work, but I sure would like a tighter feel. Is it possible for brake fluid to get old and lose it's "tension" so to speak? I'm sure there's no air in the system which is why I ask. Should I bleed the old fluid out of it and replace it with new? Will I get a firmer feel? Anyone have experience with this?

pitchblack400
05-05-2009, 02:03 AM
Sounds like your brake lines just need bled anyways. If u did any work on the brakes at all. You should always go back and bleed them. u should be able to bleed them out to where u can only pull the brake lever in a couple inches. Or u can leave it how u have it. U can bleed it out to be as tight as you want. Make sure when u do bleed it out that it still has brake fluid in the master cylinder, may have to keep filling it up as u go.

But not brake fluid usually just doesn't go old it will last pretty much as long as u want it to.

F-16Guy
05-05-2009, 12:56 PM
You generally can't compress a liquid, so if it's feeling more spongy than usual, you probably have some air in the lines. The stock 400ex lines are a possible cause, too. The lines expand under pressure and can cause that spongy feeling. I bled mine completely and they still felt just okay. When I got my a-arms, I put a set of braided lines on it, and the difference was huge!! My brakes are really firm now, and much more effective. I can only pull my lever about half way in, and it feels very solid.

brodzowski
05-05-2009, 01:33 PM
Tyvm. That makes sense. I was just wondering if maybe like oil when it loses it's viscosity or whatever that it could feel different. No matter. Off to shop for lines! Thanks again.

Youngblood
05-05-2009, 02:41 PM
Hey Brodzowski, I have a little vacuum pump that you can get at Autozone called the MityVac, Its a little handheld vacuum pump with a resevoir that makes bleeding hydraulic lines a breeze, I think I paid $30 for it and it's much easier than the old way (especially with one person). Good luck bro, let me know how you make out with the new lines, I bled mine 100% and like you said F16Guy they definetly dont feel like I'd like them too, my R1 has braided lines and I can't pull the lever in halfway without all fingers. I gotta save up for some braided lines!