PDA

View Full Version : Help with DMC 916 pipes

IcutMetl
05-04-2009, 09:45 PM
Hello everyone!

My pal just picked up a nice used DMC 916 exhaust/silencer combo, along with a used twist throttle kit, caps, and pair of stock carbs, TORS removed, idle kit installed.

The guy he got the stuff from claimed the carbs were already jetted, which they may have been, but he was running clamp on filters and my pal is running no-lid airbox, plus every 'wheeler is a bit different. Plus the whole setup has been sitting around for a while.

Well, couldn't get it to start by the kicker, but fires right up if you push start it. When warmed up, I can tell that there's a definite bog & coughing off the bottom/midrange- when the powerband comes on, it's magic. I think it could go 1 size richer on the mains yet personally. It's also my opinion that the carbs aren't synched perfectly, the left cylinder doesn't seem to sound like the right when idling down under part throttle, and the discoloration is light compared to the right pipe out of the head.

Played with the idle screws to help it out a bit and also richened up the idle mixture- it did get better, but still won't idle w/o stalling and has a loss in the low-mid when you crack on the gas.

He bought extra main jets, but no pilots. It's my guess that the pilots need to be richened up and the carbs synched. Am I correct? What's the easiest way to match up the carbs? He's running 40:1 high octane pump gas and Klotz Super Techniplate.

Thanks a lot for your help!

05-05-2009, 04:50 AM
What size pilots are in there now? The bog can be one of two things. Either it is too rich causing it to bog, or too lean making it starve for fuel when you go to hit the throttle.
Mine with the 916's and stock pilot jets has the "lean" bog, but for now I adjusted the air-screws a little bit until I get the jets. I'm also running 240 mains and it seems to be about perfect for my closed lid set up.

Congratz on the 916's. Sick pipes aint they?:devil:

2strokeguy
05-06-2009, 11:58 AM
Hey there guys, currently the jetting is the following,

280 main jets,
27.5 pilot jets,
needles at the center position

we have played with the air mixture screw as well as the idle screw but had no luck. It is running hot as my friend said. It seems like the left side vs right side are different. We have tried to sync the carbs but had no luck. Our next step was going to be trying a large pilot jet 30 then starting over with the process.

any other ideas or are we on the right page?

Thanks for all the help as we have been playing with this for a few days now

05-06-2009, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by 2strokeguy
Hey there guys, currently the jetting is the following,

280 main jets,
27.5 pilot jets,
needles at the center position

we have played with the air mixture screw as well as the idle screw but had no luck. It is running hot as my friend said. It seems like the left side vs right side are different. We have tried to sync the carbs but had no luck. Our next step was going to be trying a large pilot jet 30 then starting over with the process.

any other ideas or are we on the right page?

Thanks for all the help as we have been playing with this for a few days now

Hey.

I think your pilot circut is too lean. You're running stock except for the DMC's correct? For stock banshee's with pipes, you should have stock or a hair higher then stock pilot jets. I'm running stock pilots, and needle position. I am just ever so slightly lean off the very very bottom. A slight hesitation.

Try throwing a set of stock size pilots in there and put the screws at 2 turns out, and work with it from there. Then go slightly higher if it ends up too lean.

About the carb syncing. This can be done by eye if you have a very well trained eye. When looking into the intake side of the carbs, you can see the slides and a VERY small gap underneath the bottom of the slide with the throttle closed. Take whatever side runs good, and adjust the cable at the top of the bad carb so the gap looks right about the same.

If this doesn't work, they make a vaccum gauge or "sync" tool that goes on your carbs, or where the crossover tube is, and tells you how much it is sucking in. You can then adjust it so they draw the same amount of air buy adjust the cable.

You can find more info about the sync tool over at bansheehq. I don't know much about them being I never had to use one.

Hope I helped:D