PDA

View Full Version : Valves get loose easy?

n811
05-04-2009, 08:35 PM
I went riding yesterday. The quad was great until my buddy challenged me to "open it up" on the gravel roads. Well after that the valves were REALLY noisy. I think I have to adjust them again. This happens every time I have longer runs up the RPM's. it doesn't seem to do it when I rev it up in shot blasts. Anyone have to adjust them real often? Anyway to keep them tight?

puTTs
05-05-2009, 07:41 AM
Pull it apart and check to see if the valves are out of adjustment. The only things that will open your valve lash aside from mechanical failer/bending are cam lobes wearing down, rocker arms wearing down, adjusters wearing or the valve tip wearing down. Since you have an after market cam your lash should be set more then stock, usually, what ever the cam maker says. That's going to make it more noisy then stock. Also what happens after your engine is completely cooled down then you start it. Is the noise still there? I had problems with Honda GN4 oil after riding hard keeping the rpms up, the motor would heat and the oil thinned out to much. My motor would click pretty bad on the top end for a while after that until it cooled back down. After changing to synthetic rotella oil the problem is gone. In three years and 500+ hours of hard riding on my stock motor I've adjusted my valves once and the intake was out .001" and the exhaust .002" just to give you some sort of wear guide.

n811
05-05-2009, 08:46 AM
I started using 20w50 so it would hopefully not thin down. It doesn't seem as bad after it cools down but it is always worse after a few longer blasts down a road. I dont think anything is"worn down" I had the motor put together a season ago. It has good power. I can wheelie in 3rd gear. I have had this quad for 4 years and this is the noisiest it has ever been.
Anyone know what the clearance should be with the Webcam?

puTTs
05-05-2009, 09:20 AM
http://www.webcamshafts.com/pages/atv/honda/install_data/tc_339_872.html

Not sure if that's the cam shaft you have but it has stock .004" intake and .005" exhaust lash. What I was saying about the wear is if you had the valves set at the proper lash then rode the bike for a while then checked it and the lash opens up that is wear on one or all components mentioned. That's the reason there adjustable. As it wears you have to keep tightening them up. All parts mentioned will wear out eventually. As the camshaft wears you will lose lift and duration. What brand oil are you using?

quadrider00
05-05-2009, 04:56 PM
make sure you torque the lock nuts to the right torque or they will loosein up pretty quick

n811
05-06-2009, 07:31 AM
ya that must be the same cam. I called the guy who put the cam in. He said it has the same adjustment. As far as the oil goes. I have started using Castrol 4T 20w50 for air cooled motorcycles. I have noticed an improvement in how long before extra noise over the Honda oil.

n811
05-06-2009, 08:16 AM
I am having a hard time believing anything is worn down its still pretty new. Maybe 20hrs riding time

puTTs
05-06-2009, 11:35 AM
Did you break the cam in properly? The top end parts should wear a decent amout in the first 50 hours since these motors are metal on metal up top. There not roller rockers I don't think. I've seen the lash open as much as .010-.015" in the first 50 hours. Which is still normal wear. After the first 50 hours you should adjust them up. If they keep opening up after that you have a problem. You shouldn't see more then .002"-.005" extra lash for every 100 hours, depending on how you ride. Parts are going to wear. The more radical the cam, the higher you rev, or quality of oil are all going to play a factor in how fast things wear.

Also did you actually check the lash? Or are you just going by sound? Your always going to hear a tapping up top that's the nature of mechanical rockers.

Snipe
05-06-2009, 01:33 PM
And aftermaket cams will knock WAY louder than stockers as well.

n811
05-06-2009, 08:27 PM
Ya at this point I'm going off of sound. I will open it up when I get a chance.I have to deal with digging up my front yard (sewer line broke) and I dont know how I'm going to pay for it. CRAP!!!
I didn't know about the cam "break in" period. This makes me feel better. I do understand they might be louder than stock but not louder after each ride.