PDA

View Full Version : REAR Suspension Question for EXPERTS

B@ckBoneBelgium
01-02-2003, 08:46 AM
Hello ,

I bought a new design +1 1/4 swingarm from lonestar racing and now it is time to revalve my rear standard shock . Now I do not want to open the body of the shock because it is in good shape .

My data : I weight 85 kg and are 1.86 meter tall

Now the only thing that needs to be done is to get another spring that has more kg/mm . I will use Eibach springs .

The Stock Shock Spring Rate is (measured) 5.8 kg/mm (stock) , but with the 1 1/4 inch swingarm I will need a stiffer spring .

Now the Question is : Which Spring rate should I go :

- 6.3 kg/mm
- 6.7 kg/mm
- 7.2 kg/mm

Please do not gues , but I need to know for sure , so I could order the spring and have it in 3 weeks ...

tnx for your time

Kenny

tprender
01-02-2003, 08:57 AM
When I got my longer swingarm I just bolted it on with the stock shock. I could not tell any difference in the shock. I am sure that there is some, but I didn't notice any. I didn't even change any of the setting. It worked good for me. The quad did ride better with the longer swingarm. Sorry this is all that I can help you with.

airheadedduner
01-02-2003, 09:32 AM
Try riding it real quick and mess with the settings. Opening up the shock body is no big deal. Having it revalved by someone real experienced is well worth it. Your shock will also work much better when running the right spring and valveing.

B@ckBoneBelgium
01-02-2003, 10:00 AM
I have a guy here in belgium that worked for over 20 years for ohlins chocks in the MX world .If he says the valving is ok , but you need a heavier spring , I think I would believe him .

Just to be sure , I asking the experts here ...

tnx anywhay

QuadTrix6
01-02-2003, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by B@ckBoneBelgium
Hello ,

I bought a new design +1 1/4 swingarm from lonestar racing and now it is time to revalve my rear standard shock . Now I do not want to open the body of the shock because it is in good shape .

My data : I weight 85 kg and are 1.86 meter tall

Now the only thing that needs to be done is to get another spring that has more kg/mm . I will use Eibach springs .

The Stock Shock Spring Rate is (measured) 5.8 kg/mm (stock) , but with the 1 1/4 inch swingarm I will need a stiffer spring .

Now the Question is : Which Spring rate should I go :

- 6.3 kg/mm
- 6.7 kg/mm
- 7.2 kg/mm

Please do not gues , but I need to know for sure , so I could order the spring and have it in 3 weeks ...

tnx for your time

Kenny

KG :confused: LMAO

B@ckBoneBelgium
01-02-2003, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by QuadTrix6

KG :confused: LMAO

Yes you LMOA , I live in Europe and we do not have funny conversions :D :D :D

B@ckBoneBelgium
01-02-2003, 03:23 PM
BUMP

JOEX
01-02-2003, 08:16 PM
Try PM'ing one of the Quadshop guys...i'm sure they will be able to help...

The metric system is so much easier...I wish we would use it:)

Joe

airheadedduner
01-02-2003, 11:12 PM
Well if I were you I would call up LRD and see if you can get them to send you an eibach spring. I am sure they are not the only people that have them but I know for sure that they do. When they did the long traval conversion on my rear shock thats what they put on it. I am very happy with how it performs.

01-03-2003, 12:11 AM
I have a guy here in belgium that worked for over 20 years for ohlins chocks in the MX world .If he says the valving is ok , but you need a heavier spring , I think I would believe him .

I think I would be trusting his opinion also, and since it seems to be such a "big deal" to get suspension info I would be thankfull too.

I may not be the "expert" your looking for but if you dont any answers soon maybe this will help.

First of all I have heard of many people running the existing shock (OEM or aftermarket) with the +1-1/4" with no problems. I have also not heard of any pro's doing this so take it for what its worth.

I would not be worried about using the existing shock set up till you get the info and replacement in your hands. This way you would also have that experience of how it rode etc. to add to your knowledge and compare to the stiffer spring rate.

You may want to talk to your friend again (the one who worked for Ohlins) and see if he has any info available.

And if you dont get any better info then you can search on here to find the thread that had the leverage ratio info and take your new length and additional leverage ratio numbers and then find the percentage of change and then go up that same percentage on your spring. Its not the best way but should put you close if you dont get the answer your looking for.

I hope that helps.

B@ckBoneBelgium
01-03-2003, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by 440EX4me

I think I would be trusting his opinion also, and since it seems to be such a "big deal" to get suspension info I would be thankfull too.

I may not be the "expert" your looking for but if you dont any answers soon maybe this will help.

First of all I have heard of many people running the existing shock (OEM or aftermarket) with the +1-1/4" with no problems. I have also not heard of any pro's doing this so take it for what its worth.

I would not be worried about using the existing shock set up till you get the info and replacement in your hands. This way you would also have that experience of how it rode etc. to add to your knowledge and compare to the stiffer spring rate.

You may want to talk to your friend again (the one who worked for Ohlins) and see if he has any info available.

And if you dont get any better info then you can search on here to find the thread that had the leverage ratio info and take your new length and additional leverage ratio numbers and then find the percentage of change and then go up that same percentage on your spring. Its not the best way but should put you close if you dont get the answer your looking for.

I hope that helps.

Man , this is a good answer to me ....

If i lived in the USA , I would have called such companies as LRD , etc , but this cost international a helll of a lot of money ...

tnx for the good answers ...

kabd69667
01-03-2003, 09:54 AM
You maybe could try e-mailing some of them. i'm sure they would help you..

airheadedduner
01-03-2003, 11:19 PM
jason@lrdperformance.com

Great person to deal with if you want to go that route.

B@ckBoneBelgium
01-04-2003, 04:42 AM
tnx

I give them an email ...