PDA

View Full Version : Motocrossing a 250R in 2009 (Round One) **long**

Derrick Adams
05-04-2009, 02:43 PM
This is the first installment of a ten race series. After each race I will make an effort to write about it and provide insight and feedback on racing a 250R in todays modern MX world.

Here's my background and credentials. I raced MX way back in 1991-1994 when 250R's were all the rage. Back then the tracks were layed out alot different than they are today, at least in my opinion. I raced a full tilt MX Tecate-4. Before that I raced my ATC250R. After a ten year absence I came back to MX, racing vintage 3 wheelers (here in Ohio its extremely popular). Last year I picked up a TRX450R and ran the season on it. That gets us to the 2009 season.

My bike is an 89 with a Halls Performance 330 big bore, running LT Houser arms and Works PRO series shocks. The bike is an on going project and parts will be added as funds show up. We built the engine with tons of low end torque in mind to help compete against the 4 strokes.

I am running at a local outlaw track and they are allowing me to run in their 400cc 4stroke class. This puts me against 400EX's, Z400's, etc.

ROUND ONE:

I skipped practice to watch the competition and entered the C-class as well (which I used for my practice!) My competition for the day was a fully built 400EX, a mildly built Z400, a mildly built LT250R, and a fully built Hybrid 426. They all looked FAST.

As it turned out the Hybrid quad just ran C class, and he must have been a beginner because he was very cautious on the track.

FIRST MOTO:

I lined up last against the 400EX, Z400 and the LT250R. I took the best line that was left off the gate, but it had a 15ft stretch of deep mud right in the middle and I was on the outside.
When the gate dropped I came off in 1st gear, hit 2nd immediately and by then I was hitting the mud stretch. I clicked 3rd, gave the clutch a little feather and leaned back. The damn bike flew right over the mud! Never even bogged it down! I kept it pinned until I passed everyone and then grabbed all sorts of brakes. Pitched the bike sideways into the first turn and BAM, I had the holeshot! I layed down 2 good laps out of 4, holding 1st place. Then I started to fatigue (1st race of the year, lol). Also, I wasn't landing everything clean and was getting beat up.

** I have to interject the story hear for a second to give some feedback on the 250R. Remember I have never raced one of these before, so this is all new to me. Let me first say that this bike jumps 10 to 15ft further than my 450R when hitting jumps at the same speed. It also shoots higher due to the light weight. This bike is a BLAST to jump. Sails thru the air beautifully! The biggest problem is compensating for the lack of engine braking. **

Back to racing. I lost my lead in the 3rd lap to the LT250R when I overshot a corner. Then I cased the first double of a twin pack, which allowed the Z400 to close the gap. He was pressuring me pretty hard for the last lap and then it happened. I knew he was going to try to come inside of me on a corner so I rode in the middle of the track to block as best I could, but he still managed to get in there. Then he did what I would have never seen coming. He ran right into me and pushed me right off the track. Right at the worst possible place. 3rd gear, throttle pinned, and I hit a tree head on. I flew off the bike and landed in a fence.

The next thing I knew I was looking around and the flagger had the medic flag up. I jumped up and said "what are you doing? It takes more than a tree to stop me!" She was flipping out. Obviously she had never worked an MX race before. I jumped on the quad, gave it a quick inspection and finished the race. Turned out the 400EX had some problems so I was left finishing 3rd.

MOTO TWO:

I got third gate pick, but this time I got a sweet line on the inside. I left the gate in 2nd with the throttle pinned and walked out the clutch. I'm not sure if this bike can be beat in the holeshot! It pulls incredibly. I only held the lead for 2 turns in this moto, before I was visited again by the Z400. He hit me again and shoved me into the tree line. This time I was able to stop before I hit the trees, but in the mean time, the LT250R snuck by. So I tucked in behind them, waiting for a mistake or crash I could take advantage of. 2 laps in, the LT threw a chain on an uphill double and I sailed right over top of him. Then I layed the hammer down to try to catch the Z400, but it was not to be. By then I was getting worn down again and he just had too much of a lead. So I ended up finishing 2nd.

This gave me 3rd over all out of 4. In talking with my friends afterward, it seems that I have enough motor to pull the other guys by a couple bike lengths in the straights but they're gaining ground in the corners. Which tells me that I need to work on smoothing out the power delivery. I felt like I had to work the clutch ALOT to keep the bike moving out of the corners and I was coming into them too hot. So I plan to add a flywheel weight to the bike this week, in attempts to smooth out the hit. As well as bump up to a 14 tooth front sprocket. Then PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.

I'll throw up some pictures later tonight! Round 2 is in 2 weeks. Boy am I sore. lol

KP250R
05-04-2009, 03:12 PM
Schweeet. Good job man. I know how the fatigue can be a problem. I am reluctantly considering entering a local MX race here in a few weeks and I have practiced on the track a couple of times...I am good the 1st lap, about half way through the second lap I am tiring and feeling the pain.

I dont know alot about the specifics of the races, but I figure with a 1.3 mile track, they couldn't be much more than 4 laps. I attempted 4 laps in a row and by the end of the 4 laps I could barely work the thumb throttle!!
Shoulders, Forearms and Wrists, and thumb muscles were BURNING.

I have lined up my 250R against everything from z400's, yfz450's, raptor 660's/700's to a banshee or two and I can most of them up in the straights, whoops and most jumps....seems like fatigue is gonna be my biggest issue also.

The purse for the races here is only like $50.00 so I don't want to get killed by someone who needs the money more than I do.

Good luck, and can't wait to see your pics.

matt14c
05-04-2009, 04:52 PM
Nice write up. Any chance you would be able to run with the 450's this year. That would be cool to see how it would work out then. Im sure without riding alot like it seems you do not being fatigued it would be a real handful. I would just like to see how the original racers did against the new generation and todays #1's. Keep us updated.

norcalduner
05-04-2009, 10:16 PM
That was very interesting journalism to say the least. I will be looking forward to your next race/installment:)

thedeatons
05-05-2009, 12:23 AM
Exactly why I can't bring myself to MX race... Some random guy pushing me into the trees (TWICE!), just wouldn't cut it, and is downright stupid in my opinion.

Tell me you had words with the guy afterwards....

James

86 Quad R
05-05-2009, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by thedeatons
Exactly why I can't bring myself to MX race... Some random guy pushing me into the trees (TWICE!), just wouldn't cut it, and is downright stupid in my opinion.

Tell me you had words with the guy afterwards....

James

kinda like Nascar........... if ya aint bumping, ya aint racing! but seriously tho great write up Derrick. i too look forward to your next update/writeup. thanks for sharing. :cool:

mxduner
05-05-2009, 02:52 PM
thats an awesome write for sure!

yea mx can get brutal sometimes, those instances like yours(the 1st time neways) just happen. I've been on both ends and all you can do is get back on the horse and ride. the 2nd time would def. fuel the fire and your desire these next couple weeks:devil: you might wanna get good and sore training and riding and that will give ya tons more hang on time.

get your bike setup as best as you can as well as your fitness and give us another great "installment"

good luck

woodsracer144
05-05-2009, 05:21 PM
nice job... pics? what are you runnin for a pipe and some other things?

what ever happened to the 426?

mennis1971
05-05-2009, 09:28 PM
Post some pics and next time just take the z400 out before he gets you first. Rubbin is racing but getting plowed twice by the same guy would P!SS me off. I'm 39 and only good for a couple of laps on the mx track but its still my most favorite place to ride besides L.S. here in OK which is hard to get to with a new baby here . Try some supermoto racing if ya get a chance. Its a blast! Keep posting race updates.

k265r
05-05-2009, 11:09 PM
need more info on the setup you are running. I would say no on the flywheel weight thats my opinion i like my mx motors to rev fast. this will be a very popular thread.

Jason Hall
05-06-2009, 08:08 AM
I think Derrick would agree that the engine Rev's PLENTY fast. The problem Is It rev's to fast, all the suddon!! This thing makes power just off Idle because we lowered the port timing.It pulls so hard that he goes from rolling off the throttle going Into the turn to a one wheeled screaming wheelie off the turn LOL. We hope to sort It out over the next couple weeks with the addition of the flywheel weight, and possably a smaller carb. If we can smooth out the trasition a bit, I think we will see Derrick kicken some serious butt. I would put this bike up against a 450 Anyday In the straight aways, If we can smooth Er out some, It will be Interesting!!!

Sweet write up Derrick, I can't wait until next week :D

quad janern
05-07-2009, 01:26 PM
Awesome read.
Would be cool to se some pictures, even cooler if some of your friends could film you when your racing ! :macho :D

jcs003
05-08-2009, 02:49 PM
this is rather interesting. almost like a "reality show" thread.

montycarlo
05-08-2009, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by jcs003
this is rather interesting. almost like a "reality show" thread.

I agree, only this is worth my time & the broadcasted stuff ISN'T!

I might mention to the Z400 rider that he's managed to push you off the track 2/2 motos and he might want to be more careful in traffic just to eliminate honest accidents.

Seed
05-10-2009, 11:17 AM
If someone decided to get super agressive like that and push me into a tree like that. In my opinion he should have been disqualified. I understand rubbing is racing but there comes apoint when its an accident & intentional. I also understand we get caught up in the race but to me safety of myself and other riders come first. If im coming into a turn and there is a chance I might push him off the track and possibly injur him or myself I wouldnt try to make the pass. If this happened to me Id be thumping someone right after that race.

Derrick Adams
05-11-2009, 03:46 PM
Round 2 is next sunday. We made some minor chassis adjustments over the last couple days and I added a 14 tooth front sprocket. In theory, this should put me down in the lower transmission gears coming out of the corners, which should help to keep the engine up on the pipe and pulling like a freight train, with out having to clutch it as much.

Unfortunately my daughter was snapping pictures at the last race and didn't take any worth posting. I will have some usable ones from next weeks race.

One issue that I have found over my 450 is engine vibration. So much so, that my hands are going numb. I plan to add an anti-vibe stem as soon as funds permit it, as well as a steering stabilizer. I'll report back on these upgrades with feedback as I get them.

mennis1971
05-13-2009, 09:56 AM
Burgard has been sellin stems with the clamp for $200 shipped and the clamp does have the bracket for a kill switch on it too. Just bought a +2 here awhile back and I really like it. The only bad thing is there silvervein pc sux. It looks more like a textured matte black than silvervein.

05LSR250R
05-17-2009, 07:09 PM
Heavy bar ends and a product called "BarSnake" will dampen a lot of the vibration to your hands!
I also just installed the new pillow top grips from Pro Taper! Cut even more vibes down at the handle bars!

Derrick Adams
05-18-2009, 06:28 AM
Thanks for the tips. Round 2 action coming up!