PDA

View Full Version : Bad end to my weekend

kouki
05-04-2009, 07:53 AM
I have an 1988 250R with 310 kit, 38mm a/s with 50 pilot, 178 main, and dgh needle on middle clip, lrd exhaust, boysen reeds, etc. I just bought this about 2 weeks ago, the owner said its fine to run on pump gas, so i had 92 pump gas in it. I was going to check the compression but couldnt get my gauge in, so I just decided to trust the previous owner. The big bore kit is a sleeve kit in the stock jug, and has stock head.

Well I went riding yesterday at a friends track. The quad was running great the whole time on the track. Then we decided to go out in the field and play around. Well we all took off, it was running along real nice, then I hit fourth and then it fell on its face. I let off then got back on it, and it was done. I stopped and tried to kick it over and knew it was bad, felt like no compression. Well I got home and took it apart to find a hole in the piston, no suprise. It's right in the center of the piston. I don't think its from being lean, I checked the plug earlier in the day and was a nice light brown color. I never noticed any weird sounds. Could it have ran hot and caused this to happen? Or was the compression too high and need race gas? I just want to make sure this doesn't happen again. Let me know you're opinions. Here are a couple pics.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/super_rad_1000/1.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/super_rad_1000/2.jpg

Ruf Racing
05-04-2009, 11:42 AM
That sucks Dude. IDK. Good luck.

Grande Huevos
05-04-2009, 04:20 PM
I dont think ur running lean ur about where im sitting w my 310. and yes if ur comp is high enough 14-1 or up u MOST DEF need high oct fuel 100-110. also, dude u bought it from may not have rebuilt it for a while and those pistons get weak over time. its part of the game. lot of jack *****es out there too that dont know what they r doing when it comes to building motors!

infrontofu
05-04-2009, 04:56 PM
looks like it was deffinately detination.only could be 2 causes timing to high or not enougfh octane.i would say you needed race fuel

05LSR250R
05-06-2009, 08:22 PM
I would run race fuel or race and pump gas mix!
You never know what your getting at the pump! Way to inconsistent!

Honda 250r 001
05-07-2009, 02:08 PM
you defeneatly need race fuel. you could do something im sure to be able to run pump. hows the bore? trashed?